Lexus Sales in China 2018

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
do we know model breakdown yet?

btw is UX coming soon? What are the prices like compared to the NX, competition?

As always model breakdown will follow two weeks after initial numbers are posted.

UX is for next year. No price info yet. Competitions include the X1L (yes they even stretch the X1), Q3L, GLA, and XC40, all four are made locally. Also no info on whether CT will be discontinued when UX lands.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
As always model breakdown will follow two weeks after initial numbers are posted.

UX is for next year. No price info yet. Competitions include the X1L (yes they even stretch the X1), Q3L, GLA, and XC40, all four are made locally. Also no info on whether CT will be discontinued when UX lands.

CT is staying everywhere but in the USA... dont worry about that.

Lexus EU has stated multiple times... and also volume wise, it makes no sense to limit it to EU and Japan only... it will sell great where Corolla Hatch sells ok.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

Lexus China Sales Up 24% Year-Over Year
18-12-11-lexus-es-china.jpg

New sales record set with December left to go.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Amazing keep posting good numbers this year, wonder what are the numbers of VAG compared to TMC Y2Y?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Monthly update for Lexus wholesale figures in China, Nov 2018. Total numbers delivered is 17,583.
#1 ES 7,925 (4,759 Gas+3,166 Hybrid)
#2 RX 3,688 (3,378 Gas+310 Hybrid)
#3 NX 3,540 (2,653 Gas+887 Hybrid)
#4 CT 788
#5 LS 522 (148 Gas+374 Hybrid)
#6 LX 486
#7 IS 464
#8 GS 148 (127 Gas+21 Hybrid)
#9 RC-F 12
#10 LC500h 10

R.I.P. IS. Good job holding the pressure while ES production is ramping up, but once ES deliveries catch up it just has no chance.

Again, this is why I say the next IS absolutely needs to get the Chinese market right. It is the last market where the SUV boom is not completely destroying sedans simply because the market is so much more sensitive to fuel cost than the US. The IS actually has a good business case in China, because it is more attractive to the young and female demographics. The demographics for the ES is still mainly the middle-age male execs/business owners. The ES still has much of that 'black sedan stereotype' that doesn't connect well to those who buy the BMW 3-Series L or the Audi A4L. This is clear at auto shows and the dealership where female buyers are much more easily attracted by the IS until the moment the salesperson pushes them for a NX or RX. But at the moment the rear seats is just a deal breaker.

Hate me all you want, but if the next-gen IS doesn't address its cabin size problem it will not be relevant, no matter how much horsepower it has. People don't give a fudge about front-mid engine and 50:50 weight distribution if that means 5 cm less legroom. A growth in size is mandatory, at the very minimum to Mark X level if not GS level. A GS-sized IS300/300h with reasonable pricing (similar to the ES260/300h) will provide good competition to the 3-series L and A4L and tap into the market ES cannot reach.

Last edited:

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Monthly update for Lexus wholesale figures in China, Nov 2018. Total numbers delivered is 17,583.
#1 ES 7,925 (4,759 Gas+3,166 Hybrid)
#2 RX 3,688 (3,378 Gas+310 Hybrid)
#3 NX 3,540 (2,653 Gas+887 Hybrid)
#4 CT 788
#5 LS 522 (148 Gas+374 Hybrid)
#6 LX 486
#7 IS 464
#8 GS 148 (127 Gas+21 Hybrid)
#9 RC-F 12
#10 LC500h 10

R.I.P. IS. Good job holding the pressure while ES production is ramping up, but once ES deliveries catch up it just has no chance.

Again, this is why I say the next IS absolutely needs to get the Chinese market right. It is the last market where the SUV boom is not completely destroying sedans simply because the market is so much more sensitive to fuel cost than the US. The IS actually has a good business case in China, because it is more attractive to the young and female demographics. The demographics for the ES is still mainly the middle-age male execs/business owners. The ES still has much of that 'black sedan stereotype' that doesn't connect well to those who buy the BMW 3-Series L or the Audi A4L. This is clear at auto shows and the dealership where female buyers are much more easily attracted by the IS until the moment the salesperson pushes them for a NX or RX. But at the moment the rear seats is just a deal breaker.

Hate me all you want, but if the next-gen IS doesn't address its cabin size problem it will not be relevant, no matter how much horsepower it has. People don't give a fudge about front-mid engine and 50:50 weight distribution if that means 5 cm less legroom. A growth in size is mandatory, at the very minimum to Mark X level if not GS level. A GS-sized IS300/300h with reasonable pricing (similar to the ES260/300h) will provide good competition to the 3-series L and A4L and tap into the market ES cannot reach.

There should be ISL like RXL I don't think IS should be bigger. Because it's sportiness it's very popular in Europe.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Lexus china sales 11492 vehicles in December,and 160468 vehicles sold in 2018(include 49,549 hev)。Achieved an annual target of 160,000 vehicles。
Where do you get this info I tried to find info by searching 中国自動車販売台数 and 中華汽車販売台数

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
Where do you get this info I tried to find info by searching 中国自動車販売台数 and 中華汽車販売台数
website:www.baidu.com(a chinese search website like Google),keyword:雷克萨斯 销量
and in china we do not use“自動車販売台数”,it is japanese。
自動車=汽车
販売台数=销量
Lexus=雷克萨斯

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
販売台数

Because you are using the wrong key word. It's "销量" not "販売台数". Just because both Chinese and Japanese use kanji doesn't mean all words can be used interchangeably.

Data are posted on chinese news outlets on the 3rd. I didn't post it because I am waiting for the model-by-model breakdown that will be available in another three weeks.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
website:www.baidu.com(a chinese search website like Google),keyword:雷克萨斯 销量
and in china we do not use“自動車販売台数”,it is japanese。
自動車=汽车
販売台数=销量
Lexus=雷克萨斯
Because you are using the wrong key word. It's "销量" not "販売台数". Just because both Chinese and Japanese use kanji doesn't mean all words can be used interchangeably.

Data are posted on chinese news outlets on the 3rd. I didn't post it because I am waiting for the model-by-model breakdown that will be available in another three weeks.

Yes I know I know. Theres differences like baseball 野球 in Japanese and 棒球 in Chinese. But modern words (about 50%) are made by Japanese since they modernized first.
By the way thanks for the info! :) I'll check sales numeber myself since I can understand some chinese based on kanji meaning. I guess Taiwan sales could be found by turning simplified characters to tradinional?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Annual Sales by Models
1. ES 59,372 (40,397 Gas + 18,975 Hybrid)
2. NX 40,192 (29,901 Gas + 10,291 Hybrid)
3. RX 33,824 (30,431 Gas + 3,393 Hybrid)
4. IS 9,360
5. CT 8,982
6. LX 5,114
7. LS 4,589 (1,396 Gas + 3,173 Hybrid)
8. GS 2,524 (1,493 Gas + 1,031 Hybrid)
9. GX 353
10. RC-F 237
11. LC 137

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
I look forward to the day when an IS model is really designed and built to take on the German trio. The current design is not "European" enough too many cuts and slashes - and the interiors whilst good do not match an Audi where everything is made to perfection and you not only see it you also feel it, the knobs are knurled and everything clicks together beautifully. the IS that was launched way back in 2004/5 was more European than the current model and had such niceties as soft closing doors which were not carried over to the current model. Lexus make brilliant cars but need to take a leaf from Hyundai who employed a German to design their Kia cars and we can all see where that has taken that brand! The Hyundai brand now also has European designer and their latest models are looking very good and Genisis is suddenly a real contender.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I look forward to the day when an IS model is really designed and built to take on the German trio. The current design is not "European" enough too many cuts and slashes - and the interiors whilst good do not match an Audi where everything is made to perfection and you not only see it you also feel it, the knobs are knurled and everything clicks together beautifully. the IS that was launched way back in 2004/5 was more European than the current model and had such niceties as soft closing doors which were not carried over to the current model. Lexus make brilliant cars but need to take a leaf from Hyundai who employed a German to design their Kia cars and we can all see where that has taken that brand! The Hyundai brand now also has European designer and their latest models are looking very good and Genisis is suddenly a real contender.

Last year Japanese cars accounted 30% of global car sales. When you talk European design you mean German design. German car brands+Seat and Skoda had marketshare of only 17%. Have you ever seen PSA cars or Renault cars? They are very European too. Koreans have tradinionally copied Japan, US, Europe and China. They don't have nothing original that's why they don't succes in long term. German cars have gotten more lines in recent time and become more "Japanese". It was Lexus Who started boom for big front grilles.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
It was Lexus who started boom for big front grilles.
I will respectfully disagree on that point. It was actually Audi that kicked off that trend with their trademarked Singleframe grille in 2007 on the facelift for the 2nd-gen (D3) Audi A8. Lexus similarly trademarked spindle grille wasn't registered until 2012. The spindle grille evolved more timidly with a thick body-colored divider in its early iterations (CT, 4GS). The first truly one-piece spindle grille didn't emerge until the 2011 LF-Gh concept - 4 years after the Audi Singleframe's first production appearance.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I will respectfully disagree on that point. It was actually Audi that kicked off that trend with their trademarked Singleframe grille in 2007 on the facelift for the 2nd-gen (D3) Audi A8. Lexus similarly trademarked spindle grille wasn't registered until 2012. The spindle grille evolved more timidly with a thick body-colored divider in its early iterations (CT, 4GS). The first truly one-piece spindle grille didn't emerge until the 2011 LF-Gh concept - 4 years after the Audi Singleframe's first production appearance.
Yes that is quite right. But we can see a trend that grilles are getting bigger and meaner looking. Maybe it's not all because of Lexus but Lexus grille is not certainly outdated or out of trend, rather leading the trend.