Lexus Russia Announces LX 450d with Twin-Turbo Diesel Engine

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I have been expecting this for the past year or two, as it has been rumoured since about 2013. When the changes were unveiled, I knew something was missing and almost worried that I predicted the LX450d wrongly.

Based on what? Trademarks were not filed in UK nor US, but Australia. Unless this was a last minute decision, I don't see why it won't ever be.

"refinement issues" according to Aussie press... not surprised, that engine is not suited for LX.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
This is an old diesel motor thats been available for a long time in other models. It won't pass US emission standards unless Toyota decides to v-dub it.

Not really. This is actually a fairly heavily reworked motor that has a lot of new additions and refinements.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Not really. This is actually a fairly heavily reworked motor that has a lot of new additions and refinements.

they do update their diesels all the time, but they also decided not to update this engine to EuroVI... I wonder if/when we are getting a new one.

This one was made by combining 2x 2.2 AD engines into 4.4 V8... new one might be based on new engine series - i guess 2.4l engine? So possibly 4.8l? So far new engine seems a lot nicer than old AD series which not only had numerous issues during its lifetime, but also was noisy, and power response was really low.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
they do update their diesels all the time, but they also decided not to update this engine to EuroVI... I wonder if/when we are getting a new one.

This one was made by combining 2x 2.2 AD engines into 4.4 V8... new one might be based on new engine series - i guess 2.4l engine? So possibly 4.8l? So far new engine seems a lot nicer than old AD series which not only had numerous issues during its lifetime, but also was noisy, and power response was really low.

Hmmm thanks for the detailed information. I was led to believe this unit was the same one that the 2016 Land Cruiser gets, which is supposedly mostly new. I'm not too familiar with Toyota's consumer diesel engines though.