Lexus remote start rip off

RAL

Reactions
Welcome @mannhandled

Congratulations on your RX450h ... Consult your dealer because I believe there is a means to program settings upon remote start.

Rockville

Fan
Reactions
Make sure your climate control is on auto maybe about 75 degrees. Turn on auto on the seat heaters. Turn on the steering wheel heater. This should give you the most heat. If the car is outside and you are expecting some weather switch to front and rear defrost.

Reactions
Make sure your climate control is on auto maybe about 75 degrees. Turn on auto on the seat heaters. Turn on the steering wheel heater. This should give you the most heat. If the car is outside and you are expecting some weather switch to front and rear defrost.

Speaking of heated seats, is there a way to adjust (other than the low, med, high switch) the amount of heat these things throw out. We have ours on high all the time, and while it is warm, the seats never get toasty. Another on the very short list of disappointments with this car. Hoping there is a background setting that we can mess with.

Reactions

I have tried this... it seems to just default to nothing warming the inside, no matter what settings I leave when I exit the vehicle and shut it off. I live in Denver and my car sits outside, so I'd really like it to be warm when I get into it. No idea what I'm doing wrong and the dealer just shrugged and said, gosh, I don't know, guess it doesn't work that way.

phoenixss

Fan
Reactions
I had Various brand cars before and start and heated seats never worked so I came to expect it. In the RX the auto feature senses a bum in the seat then it kicks on, perhaps it does the same and then the only way would be to bypass the switch... which still might not work as overall I suspect no heat goes to seats on remote start

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
I agree, remote start subscription is a bad decision on Lexus part. I have a 2013 LX with remote start and no subscription is needed. Only difference is that there is no app to start the car. (no big deal really as the app is really behind the competition and doesn't always work)

Last edited:
Reactions: RAL
Reactions
Agree with previous advice. Leave your air on “auto” at 70 degrees (or whatever you like) as well as seats/wheel.

I also agree that a subscription for functionality is annoying, but I’m accepting it. While you can’t control everything from your phone... you can not only start and unlock the car, but you also get a pretty nice status report.

Have you ever left your windows slightly open in a secure location? Or wondered if you did and then realize it started raining? A quick glance at your phone tells you whether or not your windows are closed... and let’s say you changed your mind about the security of the location... you can also lock/unlock your car. How far did that valet actually drive your car? Do I need extra time to account for gas, how much do I have again?

I am loving my RX. ;-)

I’m also a tech dude... and after seeing the instruments on the F sport as well as the sophistication of those headlights, I kind of wish I would’ve spent a little more for that. But I’m one of those weirdos who loves the parchment interior... that was love at first site, so I’m okay getting the trick cluster next time around.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
I've got the remote starting app for my '17 IS200t and overall it works pretty good. Once I park at home for the evening I set the temperature at about 80 degrees and run the blower motor all the way up and I leave my seat heater on. The next morning I open the app and start the car. It only runs for 10 minutes and by the time I get out to the car about 7 0r 8 minutes has gone by.

When I get to the car all the frost is gone off of all the windows even though I didn't leave the rear/mirror defroster on the previous night, the car is warm and my seat is warm.

Like Getty said the app does other things too. Last week after taking groceries in I forgot to lock the car, the app notified me and I locked the car. Plus you don't have to worry about being in range of a system using the physical vehicle remote.

Yes sometimes it takes two requests to actually start the car and I had to uninstall and reinstall the app ONCE when it froze up but I would say 90% of the time it's worked perfectly. I'll probably get a new ES in December or January when the IS lease expires and I'll keep the remote start app especially since it will be a little cheaper with the safety connect now being complimentary for 10 years.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I've got the remote starting app for my '17 IS200t and overall it works pretty good. Once I park at home for the evening I set the temperature at about 80 degrees and run the blower motor all the way up and I leave my seat heater on. The next morning I open the app and start the car. It only runs for 10 minutes and by the time I get out to the car about 7 0r 8 minutes has gone by.

When I get to the car all the frost is gone off of all the windows even though I didn't leave the rear/mirror defroster on the previous night, the car is warm and my seat is warm.
Don't you have webasto in the US? Or I don't know is it in English but try googling "lämmitystolppa"

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
Don't you have webasto in the US? Or I don't know is it in English but try googling "lämmitystolppa"

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you're asking. Googling "webasto" it looks like some sort of external plug in vehicle heating system. Kind of like plugging in a diesel heater in extreme cold climates. I live in the southeastern United States and it never gets cold enough here for any kind of plug in vehicle heater.

Reactions
First off the car is great in most all respects. So all the fan boi's dont get immediately angry when I make a valid argument about this topic. Charging for a feature that has nothing to do with the satellite connection of the enform system is totally wrong . Remote start from the fob is via RF signal which is why you need to be within 80ft and have a clear shot at the car. I can understand losing access to the app start if you dont pay but to hold remote start hostage is quite possibly a class action suit waiting to happen.
Imagine XM radio shut down your access to am/fm because you didn't pay for their satellite service. The two are related via the radio as much as remote start is via the fob vs the app. Im sure there'd be people here that if toyota owned XM thatd say well didn't you read the contract or research this before you bought the car?
There's certain assumptions you should be able to make like articles which are installed on a vehicle which require no upkeep or service from an outside party should function without further fees . I dont buy a gallon of milk and think I'd have to pay a free to keep using it after three days. No luxury or even lesser brands charge for fob remote start .
I appreciate the fact these cars hold their value and I do like the car regardless however this method or trying to make their app into a profit center is misdirected and shortsighted. The app should be free . You are buying 40-100k vehicles thats where the cost of the app should come from. They are in the car sales business not the software business. My wifes caddy comes with basic onstar for 6yrs which allows for remote start via the app but even then she'll be able to start through the fob. Even 80 a year is too much ! What can they hold hostage next?

Reactions
I am joining this thread late.. was thinking of adding a Remote Start to my 2013 RX350- since my son will be taking with him to Syracuse NY.
Being cold I thought it will be useful to have a Remote Start.
Found this thread - but I also found that there is a 'seemingly' genuine LEXUS part that can work (called LexusPartsNow.com)
QNS:
- Is it safe to add on such parts /like a Remote Start via 3 parties? This is an RF Starter Remote. Not the one that works via APP.
-Is the Remote Starter and absolute must-have in a cold place like Syracuse
THANKS in advance for words of wisdom from Enthusiasts!

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
My Lexus RX350 just turned 1 year old. I recent noticed the key fob remote didn’t work to start the car remotely. I used to work it by pushing lock 3 times then holding it down and it would start the engine. The dealer told me that if I wanted it to work for the rest of my lease 2 years it will cost me $320 to have it turned back on.
Lexus IS lumping the key fob remote in with the Enform software system. I think this is BS I am never buying another Lexus nor will I recommend them to anyone. I just feel that this is a feature that was there and they turned it off. I have no problem with the fee if I was using the web to access it .
LEXUS HAS DISAPPOINTED ME!!
The RX has been a bad vehicle since day one at least I only have 2 more years to be stuck with it.
yeah. Disappointing to see Lexus do something like this. I can’t imagine a lot of buyers will be re-upping the subscription.

Reactions
Purchased a CPO at Lexus of Orland Park IL. DEALER sold me a remote start to be installed before I walk out of the car lot only to find out three years later my car already had a remote start via Enforme. They are crooks. They are a very deceptive bunch. Last Lexus I will be buying.