krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2022-05-11-lexus-lfa-ii-front.jpg

Lexus plans to release a new plug-in hybrid supercar in 2025, according to a new rumor from Japanese magazine Best Car. Tentatively referred to as the LFA II, this Super Sports car could have 937 total system horsepower.
2022-05-11-lexus-lfa-ii-side.jpg

Best Car also reports the LFA II will be built on an aluminum chassis with a carbon body, as opposed to the all carbon LFA. However, it will share the dry sump and transaxle used in the first Lexus supercar.
2022-05-11-lexus-lfa-ii-rear.jpg

Perhaps the most surprising news is that the LFA II will be paired with the Toyota GT3 concept and will be the Lexus race car moving forward.

2022-05-11-lexus-toyota-gt3-concept-1.jpg

Continue reading...

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Those wheels are straight off a 2022 RAV4 XSE hybrid, with less sidewall.

I want nothing more than loads more PHEV options from Lexus so bring it on!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They are countradicting themselves by saying it will have an aluminum-carbon construction and be based on GA-L. For one thing in a unibody car there is no distinction between chassis and body, so I think they probably mean aluminum monocoque with carbon fiber panels which is much much cheaper (but also heavier, by ~100kg in case of the early LFA prototype) than carbon fiber monocoque. GA-L is a mostly steel unibody architecture that is known for being excessively heavy.

If true, will GA-L evolve into a lightweight full-aluminum unibody? And depending on the price point use either aluminum panels (for say a new LS/Crown Majesta) or carbon fiber panels (for LFA2)?

Another thing I'm still not sure about is how are they going to put down 950PS and probably 1000+N.m or torque to just the rear wheels (they say it's FR). Maybe it's going to use direct drive like EVs?

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I wonder if they'll share/develop the platform with Mazda and Mazda will have a cheaper i6 coupe on that platform? *Just me dreaming of Mazda putting their i6 in a coupe.* But seriously.. the side profiles of both Mazda and GR concept were too similar! Please!

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Fire and lightning.

:p

Not sure on the specs they claim, but otherwise…

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Odd they say the single-clutch transaxle will be shares with the LFA, which was antiquated and slow even by 2009 standards so in 2025, why would Lexus use technology that is 20 years old?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Odd they say the single-clutch transaxle will be shares with the LFA, which was antiquated and slow even by 2009 standards so in 2025, why would Lexus use technology that is 20 years old?
They didn't say that. The transaxle does not have to use single-clutch transmission.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
They didn't say that. The transaxle does not have to use single-clutch transmission.

It says this. It says 'share transaxle used in the first supercar'. To me, that is pretty clear it means the actual transaxle and not just a layout.

However, it will share the dry sump and transaxle used in the first Lexus supercar.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It says this. It says 'share transaxle used in the first supercar'. To me, that is pretty clear it means the actual transaxle and not just a layout.
It also says 'share dry sump used in the first Lexus supercar'. This is impossible, or else it means it retains 1LR engine and will add plug-in hybrid.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
You don't read Japanese, I do. Translation software is unreliable. The correct translation is "the drive mode is FR with transaxle and dry sump, this point is same as LFA". The subject of this sentence is "drive mode (drivetrain layout in Japanese)". It never said the transaxle is the same unit as the LFA.

If anything it shows BestCar editor's technical illiteracy (typical for them), as dry sump is part of the lubrication system, not the drivetrain.

Reactions
I wonder if they'll share/develop the platform with Mazda and Mazda will have a cheaper i6 coupe on that platform? *Just me dreaming of Mazda putting their i6 in a coupe.* But seriously.. the side profiles of both Mazda and GR concept were too similar! Please!

Not happening. The GR GT3 will not be codeveloped with anybody.

Why you may ask? Well you should refer to the GR Supra and GR86 sales numbers. I think the same people who b*tch about codeveloping just don't understand that it was done to prove a point. There isn't a need to start codeveloping platforms from here on out and Mazda ain't a part of the picture. Not before, not now, not ever.

If Mazda ever does a tie-up with Toyota for the RX-9, it will be them using Toyota's engineering. Toyota at least had a massive hand in developing the GR Supra and GR86 (and the 86/FRS before that) be it in terms of engine specifications, tuning, chassis layout and dynamics, etc..

But methinks that Mazda may do this on their own but will charge GT-R levels of prices.