Lexus October 2018 Sales Report

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
You are missing the point. GX will be 10 years old when it is refreshed next year. No news on LX/Land Cruiser replacement, and they are even older. This is simply poor product planning and in the near future, the market is going to soften making sales of these expensive vehicles even harder.

This would be a good argument if the GX wasn't consistently selling 2k a month. I'd say it's excellent product planning from a financial perspective. As for the LX/LC, they've always run a little long between generations and both have had numerous refreshes -- at least they both look modern. :D

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This would be a good argument if the GX wasn't consistently selling 2k a month. I'd say it's excellent product planning from a financial perspective. As for the LX/LC, they've always run a little long between generations and both have had numerous refreshes -- at least they both look modern. :D

Selling 2k a month in a market that's dramatically risen towards CUVs (read: GX has been flat since 2014) is not really "excellent product planning." Lexus has the market cornered for BOF the same way Toyota does with the 4Runner, and there's a niche demand for that type of vehicle. Financially, yes, Toyota has been reaping the benefits but the GX is well overdue for a new engine, interior, and updated safety systems and this has been common knowledge since ~2016 or so. Coincidentally, they'll actually deliver on those things... right when the market starts to contract/decline. Too bad it couldn't have been in 2016 or 2017... they would have probably been selling 3k+ of them a month if so.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
You are missing the point. GX will be 10 years old when it is refreshed next year. No news on LX/Land Cruiser replacement, and they are even older. This is simply poor product planning and in the near future, the market is going to soften making sales of these expensive vehicles even harder. Lexus is losing the great market they would have had if either of those vehicles were on any reasonable product plan.

Even without these models, there should be plenty to do in 2020 - new NX, RX refresh, should be new IS, etc.

And they are being very profitable on both GX and LX right now... actually for them, market is down since GCC market is down, so it makes sense to delay a bit.

If they did new versions in 2016, they would be missing many features of new versions coming in 2021 or whenever.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
You are missing the point. GX will be 10 years old when it is refreshed next year. No news on LX/Land Cruiser replacement, and they are even older.
According to timetables posted here by Carmaker1, 4LX / Land Cruiser 300 go into production sometime between July and September 2020 for a 2021 model year launch.

Even without these models, there should be plenty to do in 2020 - new NX, RX refresh, should be new IS, etc.
Of that trio, the RX refresh goes on sale next year for the 2020 model year. The others (2NX and 4IS) are on a similar schedule to 4LX (July 2020 start of production for 2021 model year).

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Selling 2k a month in a market that's dramatically risen towards CUVs (read: GX has been flat since 2014) is not really "excellent product planning." Lexus has the market cornered for BOF the same way Toyota does with the 4Runner, and there's a niche demand for that type of vehicle. Financially, yes, Toyota has been reaping the benefits but the GX is well overdue for a new engine, interior, and updated safety systems and this has been common knowledge since ~2016 or so. Coincidentally, they'll actually deliver on those things... right when the market starts to contract/decline. Too bad it couldn't have been in 2016 or 2017... they would have probably been selling 3k+ of them a month if so.

As an enthusiast I'd love to see a brand new GX and can't wait, which we already know is being developed. As a pragmatist, the sales numbers are pretty self-explanatory.

A case for 3GX can't even make itself. At this point Lexus is bringing us the 3rd gen just for kicks. :cool:

45707285_10156050092632060_5766028736302415872_n.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
According to timetables posted here by Carmaker1, 4LX / Land Cruiser 300 go into production sometime between July and September 2020 for a 2021 model year launch.

Based on things I have heard very recently, I do not believe this timeframe to be true. I've heard everything on TNGA-F has been pushed back another 12 months to accommodate a new, particular powertrain. Time will well.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Based on things I have heard very recently, I do not believe this timeframe to be true. I've heard everything on TNGA-F has been pushed back another 12 months to accommodate a new, particular powertrain. Time will well.
I'm not particularly surprised to hear that. The first TNGA Toyota (the current Prius) was delayed about 6 months from its originally-intended release date, and the postponements have just cascaded from there. Particularly hard-hit by this have been the body-on-frame TNGA-F and the Yaris' TNGA-B.

I keep a running tab of Carmaker1's predicted timetables for new-generation (or major facelifts) for Lexus and Toyota vehicles, which I update as he provides new and current information. 2019 seems to be a relatively quiet year (Mk5 Supra, 12th-gen Corolla sedan and 4th-gen Highlander are just about all the new-gen releases) followed by a 2020 which seems to have an excessive amount of new-generation releases:

4th-gen Sienna (March 2020 start of production / 2021 model year)
2nd-gen Lexus NX (July 2020 start of production / 2021 model year)
4th-gen Lexus IS (July 2020 start of production / 2021 model year)
Land Cruiser 300 / 4th-gen Lexus LX (Start of production sometime between July and September 2020 / 2021 model year)
3rd-gen Tundra (August 2020 start of production / 2021 model year. May leapfrog LC300 / 4LX as first TNGA-F product)

I fully expect some of these dates to be pushed back. Which ones is the $64,000 question, but I agree with Gecko that the BOF TNGA-F products are the likeliest to be rescheduled.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm not particularly surprised to hear that. The first TNGA Toyota (the current Prius) was delayed about 6 months from its originally-intended release date, and the postponements have just cascaded from there. Particularly hard-hit by this have been the body-on-frame TNGA-F and the Yaris' TNGA-B.

I keep a running tab of Carmaker1's predicted timetables for new-generation (or major facelifts) for Lexus and Toyota vehicles, which I update as he provides new and current information. 2019 seems to be a relatively quiet year (Mk5 Supra, 12th-gen Corolla sedan and 4th-gen Highlander are just about all the new-gen releases) followed by a 2020 which seems to have an excessive amount of new-generation releases:

4th-gen Sienna (March 2020 start of production / 2021 model year)
2nd-gen Lexus NX (July 2020 start of production / 2021 model year)
4th-gen Lexus IS (July 2020 start of production / 2021 model year)
Land Cruiser 300 / 4th-gen Lexus LX (Start of production sometime between July and September 2020 / 2021 model year)
3rd-gen Tundra (August 2020 start of production / 2021 model year. May leapfrog LC300 / 4LX as first TNGA-F product)

I fully expect some of these dates to be pushed back. Which ones is the $64,000 question, but I agree with Gecko that the BOF TNGA-F products are the likeliest to be rescheduled.

4Runner, GX and Tacoma will all receive significant refreshes next year to carry them through to delayed redesigns on TNGA-F. I think 4Runner and Tacoma get a new V6 and 8AT, I expect GX might get it also. I also read that 4Runner and Tacoma will get a 2.0T base option.

I also think Toyota is in a "wait and watch" phase with tariffs and a slipping global economy. As I pointed out before, all signs are that they are going to drop LS refresh, LC refresh, LX redesign, GX refresh, LF-1, LS F and LC F into an economic recession. Very bad timing.

Reactions

Other than the V6 we talked about is it the V8? There MUST be new generation V8's!!

4Runner, GX and Tacoma will all receive significant refreshes next year to carry them through to delayed redesigns on TNGA-F. I think 4Runner and Tacoma get a new V6 and 8AT, I expect GX might get it also. I also read that 4Runner and Tacoma will get a 2.0T base option.

I also think Toyota is in a "wait and watch" phase with tariffs and a slipping global economy. As I pointed out before, all signs are that they are going to drop LS refresh, LC refresh, LX redesign, GX refresh, LF-1, LS F and LC F into an economic recession. Very bad timing.

They wait for so damn long for the "market" to appeal to them, then they release the damn car when the economy isn't viable for such vehicles anymore. Stupid, stupid Lexus (and Toyota). My blame is on the bean counters. Throw them out and don't look back.