Lexus Manufacturing Plants in Kentucky and Japan Win J.D. Power Platinum Awards

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
This probably doesn't tell most of us much that we don't already know, yet, IMO, it is still a significant enough story that I thought it worthy of a separate thread. This plant, not only now, but for some time, has had a long-standing reputation for well-above average quality. The relatively few problems that have come from vehicles built here, like the older 3.0L V6 sludge/gel and later 2006 V6 Camry automatic-transmission issues, have been from engineering issues, not assembly issues at the plant. Basically, the plant produces what they are given....and does it well. :thumbsup:

http://toyotaky.com/detailnews.asp?PRID=617

Georgetown, Kentucky (June 22, 2016) — When it comes to initial quality, Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky (TMMK) knows how to roll. The facility’s Lexus line, which began production just last fall, has received the Platinum award – a tie with Toyota’s Kyushu 2 plant (Lexus ES, RX) in Japan – in the 2016 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study. The award represents the highest-performing assembly plant in the world for initial quality.

“This is yet another proud moment for us,” said Wil James, TMMK president. “The single most accurate and valuable tool on the Lexus line is the highly skilled, well-trained team member whose human senses help create a world-class luxury automobile. This is truly a tribute to them.”

The Kentucky plant is the first in the U.S. to build Lexus, and the line represents an investment of $360 million and 750 new jobs. To prepare for the launch, Lexus members trained for months before ever touching an actual car. The team collectively logged more than 1.5 million training hours.

This is the 11th* J.D. Power award the Kentucky plant has received since it began production in 1988.

In addition to the Platinum award, the Camry line located in Subaru’s Lafayette, Ind. plant received Silver in the North/South America category, while Motomachi 1 in Japan, which produces Lexus GS, received Silver in the Asia Pacific category.

Five vehicles also took the top spot in their respective segments: Toyota Camry/Midsize Car, Lexus CT/Small Premium Car, Toyota Corolla/Compact Car, Toyota Highlander/Midsize SUV and Lexus GS/Midsize Premium Car.

*TMMK has earned four Gold awards from J.D. Power (1990, 1993, 1994, 2000), in addition to three Silver awards (1991, 2001, 2006) and three Bronze awards (1992, 1997, 2009).

About Toyota

Toyota (NYSE:TM), the world's top automaker and creator of the Prius and the Mirai fuel cell vehicle, is committed to building vehicles for the way people live through our Toyota, Lexus and Scion brands. Over the past 50 years, we’ve built more than 30 million cars and trucks in North America, where we operate 14 manufacturing plants (10 in the U.S.) and directly employ more than 44,000 people (more than 34,000 in the U.S.). Our 1,800 North American dealerships (1,500 in the U.S.) sold more than 2.8 million cars and trucks (nearly 2.5 million in the U.S.) in 2015 – and about 80 percent of all Toyota vehicles sold over the past 20 years are still on the road today.

Additional photos available here: http://bit.ly/28O85l4
B-roll available here: http://toyota.us/28O94ld

######
Rick Hesterberg (859) 351-4780
Ashley Chatham (859) 473-3709
Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky, Inc.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
BTW, folks.....my knee is improving slowly but surely. Doing therapy/exercises to strengthen the muscles/tendons and regain knee motion. I could probably drive right now if I had to (I once flew a Cessna 172 with one leg in a cast) , but you know how cautious doctors and therapists can be before turning you loose. I'll be back to doing reviews again ASAP.

RAL

Reactions
BTW, folks.....my knee is improving slowly but surely. Doing therapy/exercises to strengthen the muscles/tendons and regain knee motion. I could probably drive right now if I had to (I once flew a Cessna 172 with one leg in a cast) , but you know how cautious doctors and therapists can be before turning you loose. I'll be back to doing reviews again ASAP.
Glad for your good word!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-06-27-lexus-es-manufacturing.jpg

Kentucky receives highest manufacturing distinction in just its first year of ES production.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
No surprise here. Honestly, I'm just waiting for some more spy shots or at least some other interesting news. I'm getting bored of all these awards for reliability and stuff.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I think it's useful to post given that some posters here were worrying that the Kentucky plant might not be able to achieve the kind of quality level Lexus owners are accustomed to. It's natural to have those concerns, but Toyota/Lexus is clearly on top of things.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I think it's useful to post given that some posters here were worrying that the Kentucky plant might not be able to achieve the kind of quality level Lexus owners are accustomed to. It's natural to have those concerns, but Toyota/Lexus is clearly on top of things.

This is why I broke it out from the overall J.D. Power Initial Quality study -- the fact that Lexus was able to score a Platinum award at a first year facility (never mind in a new country) is nothing short of amazing. This is great news.

Reactions
Surprised!

Lexus needs to watch those American carefully. Their works are not that great in my eyes.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
This is why I broke it out from the overall J.D. Power Initial Quality study -- the fact that Lexus was able to score a Platinum award at a first year facility (never mind in a new country) is nothing short of amazing. This is great news.

When Hyundai first opened their Sonata plant in Alabama back for the 2006 model year, they received a quality award (again, in a all-new plant, in an all-new country, with an all-new work force)....but I don't remember if it was a Platinum award or not.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
When Hyundai first opened their Sonata plant in Alabama back for the 2006 model year, they received a quality award (again, in a all-new plant, in an all-new country, with an all-new work force)....but I don't remember if it was a Platinum award or not.

Hyundai's Alabama plant was not an award and therefore was not a Platinum award, it was recognition by J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey as top 10 OEM plant in North and South America after 1 year of operation. Not in same league as Toyota's highest performing in world plant per J.D. Power.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Hyundai's Alabama plant was not an award and therefore was not a Platinum award, it was recognition by J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey as top 10 OEM plant in North and South America after 1 year of operation. Not in same league as Toyota's highest performing in world plant per J.D. Power.

Yes, I didn't clearly remember this plant getting a Platinum award...that's why I said I wasn't sure. But they did out some excellent products for an all-new plant/all-new country/all-new workforce (I liked that version enough to almost buy one myself, and some co-workers of mine got them on my recommendation, and were quite satisfied). The 2006 Sonata really transformed the car's mediocre image and led to the success it is today.

Anyhow, back to the Lexus plant at Georgetown, Kevin, didn't you get to tour it recently? I looked for the post references but didn't see them.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Michigan's Center for Automotive Research just kicked off its annual Management Briefing Seminars in Traverse City. More often than not, at least one Toyota and/or Lexus official will be good for some interesting statements, and this year is no exception. One of the first day's speakers was Wil James, president of Toyota Motor Mfg. in Kentucky, who addressed the subject of Lexus ES 350 manufacture there. Thus far, I've found 2 commentary articles on his speech.The first comes to us via Larry P. Vellequette of Automotive News:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160801/OEM01/160809989/1129

while the second (a much better read IMHO) is by Steve Finlay of WardsAuto:

http://wardsauto.com/car-management...tears-and-bourbon-went-building-lexus-plant-0