Lexus January 2016 Sales Report

Discussion in 'Lexus Lounge' started by krew, Feb 2, 2016.

1. krew
    krew Administrator
    krew [​IMG]

View the original article post

Trexus likes this.
  2. mikeavelli
    mikeavelli Staff Member Moderator
    Saved for Comparison Figures (will be updated constantly today)
    YTD
    BMW-
    Lexus-
    Mercedes-
    Buick-
    Audi-
    Acura-
    Cadillac-
    Infiniti-
    Lincoln-
    Land Rover-
    Volvo-
    Porsche-
    Jaguar-

Luxury & Entry Level Luxury Brands (month)
    Mercedes- 24,664
    Lexus- 20,933
    Buick- 18,269
    BMW- 18,082
    Audi- 11,850
    Cadillac- 10,740
    Acura- 10,250
    Infiniti- 8,514
    Lincoln- 7,177
    Land Rover-
    Porsche- 4,354
    Volvo- 4,244
    Jaguar-

Flagship
    S-class- 1,277
    7 series- 847
    LS- 397
    XJ-

A8- 345
    Panamera- 336
    Equus- 171
    K900- 68

Mid-Size
    5 series- 3,795
    E-class- 2,503
    GS- 1,298
    A6- 841
    CTS- 1,013
    Q70- 492
    MKS- 538
    A7- 432
    CLS- 287
    RLX/RL- 98
    S80- 41

Entry Level Lux

C-class- 5,079
    Lacrosse- 4,057
    ES- 3,400
    3series- 3,287
    CLA- 3,168
    Q50- 2,914
    Regal- 2,653
    TLX- 2.239
    IS- 2,178
    A3- 2,148
    MKZ- 1,946
    A4- 1,325
    1/2 series-
    ATS-1.067
    CT- 622
    S60- 455
    Q40- 10

Midsize Luxury Coupes
    4series- 1,832
    RC- 755
    A5- 515
    Q60- 132

Small SUV
    NX- 3,133
    RDX- 3,104
    Q5- 2,691
    GLC- 27,65
    X3- 2,002
    Macan- 1,469
    MKC- 1,436
    QX50- 994
    XC60- 860
    GLK- 84
    X4- 262

Midsize SUV
    RX- 6,956
    SRX- 4,778
    Enclave- 3,692
    MDX- 3,576
    GLE- 3.515
    X5- 2,584
    XC90- 2,375
    QX60- 2,372
    Q7- 2,336
    GX-
    MKX- 2.052
    Range Rover Sport-
    Cayenne- 1,395
    Touareg-
    MKT- 505
    QX70- 436
    X6- 385
    ZDX-

Flagship SUV
    Escalade- 2,002
    GL- 1,798
    QX80- 1,164
    Range Rover-
    Navigator- 700
    LX- 585
    G-wagon- 338

Other Coupes

Mustang- 7,580
    Camaro- 5,551
    Challenger- 5,085
    Corvette- 1,501
    370Z- 358
    6series-
    A7-
    911/918- 723
    CLS-
    Boxster/Cayman- 431
    SLK- 266
    SL- 214
    TT- 155
    AMG GT- 125
    ELR- 67
    GTR-66
    Viper- 52
    Z4- 42
    i8-32
    Alpha4C-
    R8- 11
    LFA- 1

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Cylcars and corradoMR2 like this.
  3. mikeavelli
    Okay seems the NX was the best seller in class last month. It outsold the RDX for the first time last month so that trend continued. It beat the Q5 for the first time. What a grand slam homerun that vehicle has been!

4. Gecko
    Gecko Staff Member Administrator
    Great to see the success of the NX... I still maintain that they should have an NX 350 ;)

Anyway, I do see that weather probably made an impact on sales, but with how hard Lexus blew it out in December, I can't help but wonder if there wasn't a bit of a "hangover" for January sales?

Most interesting to me is the ES's lagging performance... always one of Lexus' top sellers. I understand the IS trending down because it's entering it's third year on the market and needs some updates, but the ES just got refreshed.

The only thing I can think is that the market's overall shifting preference for CUVs is sending people into NXs and RXs instead of ISs and ESs. I should take a closer look at competitor's sales to see if that's a trend for other manufacturers...

5. corradoMR2
    corradoMR2 Founding Member
    RX - any concerns anyone may have had with respect to its unconventional styling is out the door as it beat last year's monthly sales.

I'm a little disappointed in the IS, GS, and ES. It shows to me that Lexus needs to inject more differentiating tech/engines over the ever-aggressive competition. But in general it also is consistent with the market's declining interest car sales vs SUVs.

IS-SV and mikeavelli like this.
  6. Ruksac
    The NX is absolutely killing it. Hard to keep them in stock and Lexus has shown no need to offer incentives on the car. Even with a high money factor which keeps the payments up there, it's sales prove that this is a vehicle people want and will pay what they have to to get it.

IS-SV and mikeavelli like this.
  7. meth.ix
    Your vehicle classes are a bit off. The Entry Level Lux should have small cars like the CT and Audi A3. There should be a new class called Compact Luxury, that has the IS, C-Class and 3-Series. And also, the RX does not compete with the GLE, X5 and SRX. It competes with the Q5, Macan and X3. The RX is close to being a Mid-Size Luxury SUV, but it is still a Small Luxury SUV. The NX does not belong in the class it is put in and should be in a class named Compact Luxury SUVs. There it can compete with the GLA-Class, X1, etc. The ES is also not in the same class as the IS, and should be with the GS in the Mid-Size Sedan section. I know that it has similar prices to the IS, but classes are based on size as well. And this isn't mandatory, but it would be cool if you could add High-Performance Small Coupes like the RC F and M4. Also the Full-Size Luxury Coupes like the LC, 6-Series and S-Class Coupe. Thanks!

8. mikeavelli
    Hi thanks for the suggestions. My list is for data/informational purposes only,some cars/SUVs blend categories so if you want to compare them and move them around for yourself that is cool. Its a blend of price/size. ;)

Sorry but the RX is a mid-size SUV, it created the car based SUV and I won't be moving it around because the Q5, X3 etc are tiny but priced the same. The RX and SRX are tit for tat foes, nearly identical in many ways. The NX competes with the Q5/X3 etc based on size and price. It also is in comparisons against those cars in reviews. The X1, Q3, GLA are much smaller and in their own class and I don't even bother with them yet.

The entry level class is based on price, not size for the sake of my list. Yes for a driving review, the IS vs ES would make little sense, I agree.

The new Q7 for example is a brain beater since it starts at like 55k but I built one to 90k the other day which is LX 570 money.

I hope this explains some of my reasoning!

9. mikeavelli
    Absolutely certain Lexus also blew its load so to speak selling 40,000 cars in December so there is lack of inventory around. I'm sure things will bounce back once the steel shortage does not effect them.

corradoMR2 and Trexus like this.
  10. mmcartalk
    That's not surprising. The RDX has never been a big seller in the U.S....certainly nowhere near the MDX numbers.

corradoMR2 and mikeavelli like this.
  11. Bulldog 1
    Wow! We've got our own Republican / Democrat caucus going on in here!
    Lexus is crushing it, volume wise, and right on MB tail. Other German marks trailing at a distance where they belong.
    I see few and far between new out of the wrapper Buick's on the road, but Cadillac has got to be thinking humiliation when Buick nearly doubles their volume.
    Shall be interesting to see if this trends over the next few months.
    Income tax refunds should represent the next surge in sales.
    Love these reports. And judging by traffic at my number one volume dealer when I swing by for a weekend car wash, there is no lack of demand for the brand.

12. Tragic Bronson
    The East Coast is a big market for Lexus and other luxury makes, so not surprised the weather messed with sales. If a huge tornado ran through the Midwest, that would really hurt America's truck sales.

mikeavelli likes this.
  13. Black Dynamite
    I think Lexus is probably a little light on product, selling 41k in December. Finishing 3k ahead of BMW is a good sign. Mercedes needs bottom-feeders like the CLA and GLA to show any volume gains. They were 25% of the volume. January and February are the slowest sales months of the year.

March will tell you where you stand at the end of Q1. That's the first test of the year, March Madness.
    BD

corradoMR2, mikeavelli and Gecko like this.
  14. mikeavelli
    FYI, the Rav4 outsold the CR-V again....seems Toyota is dead serious about taking that sales crown..
    21,554 to 19,208

15. mmcartalk
    Three things are hurting Cadillac in relation to Buick. One, partially due to the Opel platforms some of them use, Buicks are generally more reliable. Second, the CTS is probably priced too high in relation to its competitors. Three, the XTS has not been very impressive as a flagship.

Agreed......if people don't use them to help pay off other debts instead....which I suspect will be the case.

16. mmcartalk
    The current CR-V, unlike the RAV-4, is also getting a little long in the tooth. Its (formerly) stellar reliability, according to Consumer reports, has also dropped some, but not seriously.

17. James
    James Founding Member
    I was looking at the specs between the RX and X5 will Lexus ever make a V-8 engine or a turbo V-6 to come closer to the X5 in 0-60? I know Lexus isn't big on that but the RX (while looks so much better and aggressive) it is largely behind in 0-60 times. Any knowledge on this or am I just hoping the trend continues from Lexus coming out with faster cars...?

18. mikeavelli
    Trexus and IS-SV like this.
  19. yiantony
    I am curious if it just fewer people want ES or people choose NX over ES, though they seem to be very different car types. NX seemed to impact a lot on Lexus sedan sales, because in the mean time there were not too many new series of sedans from other brands.

20. Ian Schmidt
    Ian Schmidt Staff Member Moderator
    My gut feeling is that raw performance isn't a driver of sales in that segment, but if anyone has any data either way I'd be curious to see it.

IS-SV likes this.