krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-08-25-lexus-gs-300-discontinued.jpg

Lexus USA has discontinued the GS 300 sedan for the 2020 model year due to poor sales. Website CarsDirect discovered the change:

So why is Lexus doing away with the cheapest GS? Unsurprisingly, it’s because people weren’t buying it.
According to Lexus spokesperson Alissa Moceri, “the GS 300 represented a small percentage of GS sales in 2018,” adding “we are constantly evaluating model mixes throughout our lineup.”

The GS 300 was powered by the Lexus 2.0L turbo engine, and was first introduced in 2016. The GS 350 will remain in the 2020 lineup with a base price of $52,420 USD. The GS F high-performance sedan will also continue to be offered, retailing for $86,035 USD.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
The GS 300 was powered by the Lexus 2.5L turbo engine
is it 2.5 turbo or 2.0 turbo?

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
The GS 300 was powered by the Lexus 2.5L turbo engine
is it 2.5 turbo or 2.0 turbo?
lexus does not have a 2.5L turbo currently. It is a 2.0L turbo.

As sad as the slow demise of the GS is, the 2.0L turbo really didn't suit the GS. Bit too underpowered for a car that size. It's terrific for the IS though. The slight turbo lag even gives the smaller sedan a little character. But for a large executive car, you would think that it would be always smooth and refined. That's my humble opinion anyway.

Reactions
I'm pretty sure with a nice tune, the GS 200t\300 could match or could possibly outperform the 350. The IS community is active with the IS200t/300 tunes.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Such a shame for an engine like that. It was a good starting point but then it didn't evolve at all. I'm looking forward to see what durability will be like half a decade from now.

JC1

Reactions
I wished Lexus would just come out with a new gen GS, but make it a 4 door grand coupe body style, similar to the Audi A6, A7, and BMW 4 series. Lexus doesn't offer a 4 door grand coupe...the GS should be able to fill the role and leave the ES and IS as the conventional style sedans

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
I wished Lexus would just come out with a new gen GS, but make it a 4 door grand coupe body style, similar to the Audi A6, A7, and BMW 4 series. Lexus doesn't offer a 4 door grand coupe...the GS should be able to fill the role and leave the ES and IS as the conventional style sedans
They are too busy thinking about yachts and hoverboards

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
lexus does not have a 2.5L turbo currently. It is a 2.0L turbo.

As sad as the slow demise of the GS is, the 2.0L turbo really didn't suit the GS. Bit too underpowered for a car that size. It's terrific for the IS though. The slight turbo lag even gives the smaller sedan a little character. But for a large executive car, you would think that it would be always smooth and refined. That's my humble opinion anyway.
I was pointing out an error in the article.

Reactions
I will agree , but as a current leasee of the 2018F Sport. I am very happy with this vehicle. Compared to the new Es. Apples to oranges. I’m just happy to see another year so I can get another 3 years of it. . Or i would have purchased this one.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I will agree , but as a current leasee of the 2018F Sport. I am very happy with this vehicle. Compared to the new Es. Apples to oranges. I’m just happy to see another year so I can get another 3 years of it. . Or i would have purchased this one.

Yup. Even original 2012 4GS is arguably better vehicle than 2019 ES. Facelifted 4GS over 7ES is a no brained to me.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Another nail in the GS coffin. I really hope Lexus brings us a 5GS...

GS 350 (2GR-FKS)
GS 500 (V35A-FTS)
GS 500h (8GR-FXS)

Last edited:

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
The GS should have never had a 4cyl engine IMO. Maybe Lexus realizes that now, and figured its one of the move they have to make to move the GS upmarket away from the ES and IS in preparation for the 5GS (here is to hoping)

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
There are only three things I like about F-sport package on GS: LFA cluster, black headliner and mesh grill. OK now that Lexus has that super tacky red interior hue for all F-Sport trims maybe I even like GS's blood red leather as well. Other than that you really loose a lot compared to Luxury package and I couldn't care less about that Lexus Handling Package or whatever it's called, it was no different than regular model. Maybe on 450h you would feel the difference because of the weight.