Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Toyota/Lexus really focuses on keeping costs down/spreading costs. So by using the same engine (2UR-GSE) for the IS F and RC F there is no need to have separate engines for those two vehicles. Again Lexus could also use the same engine (twin turbo V8) for the GS F and LC F, LS F and LQ F...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Time flies, and once again Automotive News has issued its annual predictions for Lexus' future product cadence, including mid-life refreshes / facelifts and new-generation models. As I did last year, here is Larry Vellequette's article followed by my comments in red:

August 03, 2020
Lexus holds on with makeovers and hybrids
LARRY P. VELLEQUETTE - Automotive News

New Toyota Motor North America CEO Ted Ogawa says he wants to change the product cadence and powertrain options at Lexus to boost the Japanese luxury brand. However, the scope of his plans is unclear as the brand recovers from the COVID-19 production shutdown.

Lexus buyers are getting older, and Ogawa would like to attract a younger demographic. For now, however, the brand's lineup is expected to remain static, with makeovers of its current lineup of sedans, crossovers and SUVs and a further spreading of hybrid technology to boost performance. Ogawa could look to broaden Lexus offerings with models currently available in China, but no expansion of the Lexus lineup has been confirmed.

However, given the state of sedan sales, even in the luxury segment, look for Lexus to pare down plans to spend on its sedans while it focuses on improving its crossovers.

IS: With luxury sedan sales dipping, Lexus chose to reengineer the Lexus IS compact sport sedan in 2020 instead of a full redesign. When it arrives at dealerships this year, the 2021 IS will offer improved handling and responsiveness with an upgraded suspension, in addition to newly enhanced safety and infotainment functions. The IS 350 will come equipped with a 3.5-liter V-6 delivering an uptuned 311 hp and 280 pound-feet of torque, with an eight-speed transmission in the rear-wheel-drive model and a six-speed transmission powering the all-wheel-drive model.

Looks like Mr. Vellequette is just playing it safe and stating the obvious. No comment on IS 500 nor on the future of this "reengineering". The "uptune" of the IS 350 to 311 hp actually happened for the 2018 model year.

ES: The seventh generation of the midsize sedan went on sale in 2018 and will receive minor tweaks until a full freshening in 2024.

Midlife refresh for 7ES is due for the 2022 model year. The "full freshening" (actually 8ES) is due for the 2024 calendar year (2025 model year).

LS: Before arriving in the first half of 2021, the large sedan will undergo a major freshening that will include the rollout of a Level 2 automated driving-assistance feature called Lexus Teammate. The system is expected to use lidar technology developed partly with Denso Corp. that will enable the LS to automatically change lanes, follow lanes and pass vehicles in highway driving.

Agreed, though I wouldn't call it a major freshening apart from Lexus Teammate.

RC: The low-volume performance coupe is unlikely to receive more than minor touch-ups before a full freshening now planned for 2024.

Last year Mr. Vellequette predicted a 2nd-gen TNGA RC for 2022 while noting the Mazda Large Architecture and inline 6 rumors. Can't say I blame him for the change. There's always been lots of uncertainty regarding RC's future, now more so when even Mercedes is likely to pare down or do away with its competing coupe lineups.

LC: Redesigned in 2017 and joined by a new convertible this year, the LC is unlikely to receive much more than minor upgrades until at least 2025.

Sounds about right, given the sad decline of this segment as a whole. Again, no comment one way or the other on LC F.

UX: The UX compact crossover will be due for a midcycle freshening in 2023, given Lexus product cycles.

Same seemingly erroneous prediction as last year. As both @krew and I noted then, "with UX being a volume model that went on sale in late 2018 for the 2019 model year, we should see the midlife refresh in late 2021 (2022 model year)"

NX: The NX compact crossover is due for a full redesign in the second half of 2021, when it will be moved onto Toyota's global luxury platform. Improved driver-assistance and safety systems will be added, as will an upgraded infotainment system and an improved hybrid powertrain..

Correct.

RX: The brand's top-selling crossover is due for a redesign onto Toyota's global luxury platform in 2023, when the midsize RX will be outfitted with an improved hybrid powertrain, the latest safety and driver-assist systems and upgraded infotainment.

Also correct.

GX: Lexus dealers would like a larger, more luxurious three-row GX midsize SUV when it is redesigned onto the GA-F platform in 2024. Look for a more muscular, performance-driven offering from a powertrain boosted by Toyota's hybrid technology, along with the latest suite of Lexus safety, driver-assist and infotainment offerings.

As with RC, lots of uncertainty with this one and Mr. Vellequette just pushed it back 2 years vs his 2022 prediction from last year. Based on both earlier @Carmaker1 and Best Car predictions, it could be anywhere between Fall 2022 (2023 model year) and 2024 model year (during 1st-quarter of the 2024 calendar year).

LX: The LX large SUV gets a full redesign onto the luxury GA-F body-on-frame platform in 2022, following the trail blazed by the Toyota Land Cruiser. The new platform will improve its technology and safety offerings, as well as its ride comfort, and make it more competitive among big three-row luxury off-roaders.

Counter to last year's RC and GX predictions, the LX is now moved up by a year, to 2022 (unclear if he means model year or calendar year). Makes sense. Its Toyota Land Cruiser 300 counterpart is expected to debut in Spring 2021.

Still no mention of production version of LF-1 Limitless.

https://www.autonews.com/future-product/lexus-holds-makeovers-and-hybrids

James

Founding Member
Reactions
So in the next 2 years we are getting a new NX and a new LX and that's it? Man for such an old lineup that we already have that just seems like we will be even farther away from the competition. I know COVID has messed up some timelines but wow Lexus needs a lot more than what the are getting out and quickly. I'm assuming design wise on a few of these products were already done since its like 18-24 months to coming out so are they worried about people being able to afford the new products? They have to be careful tho when leases are up and the best you have is a product that could be 10 plus years old you will lose to the competition.

Also, where the hell is news on the LF1? Come on already Lexus you are so late to the prom that you're going to the following prom as a 5th year senior...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
So in the next 2 years we are getting a new NX and a new LX and that's it?
Looks like it, plus the UX mid-cycle refresh, if Automotive News' prediction for 2023 is wrong like I suspect it is.

Also, where the hell is news on the LF1?
That's what I'd like to know. Recent Japanese reports hinted at a 3rd-quarter 2021 calendar year release, but who knows?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Looks like it, plus the UX mid-cycle refresh, if Automotive News' prediction for 2023 is wrong like I suspect it is.

right... new NX and LX, refreshed UX and ES too, probably LF1 will be unveiled by then.

IMHO, it is far more exciting to predict what next vehicles will get variation of Prime powertrain... e-axle for ES?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
right... new NX and LX, refreshed UX and ES too, probably LF1 will be unveiled by then.
That's right. The ES mid cycle refresh is also due by then.

IMHO, it is far more exciting to predict what next vehicles will get variation of Prime powertrain... e-axle for ES?
If we go by the trademark tea leaves, NX will be the next to receive the Prime plug-in hybrid powertrain, given the NX 450h+ trademark filed in a number of markets. At least in the U.S., no other h+ trademarks have been filed.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If we go by the trademark tea leaves, NX will be the next to receive the Prime plug-in hybrid powertrain, given the NX 450h+ trademark filed in a number of markets. At least in the U.S., no other h+ trademarks have been filed.

we all know that :). I was thinking about the next one after that. It should be ES that showcases new e-axle since that is what they demoed it with. Will NX also get e-axle or is it going to be same as Rav4? RX e-axle?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
also there have been consistent rumors about smaller than UX model coming. I wonder what will come out of that really. UX has been big success in markets where they value smaller vehicles (in those markets, it is actually midsized, not small) and something based on Yaris CUV would not be that small - there is even e-awd version of Yaris that wont be available in most of the markets, with independent rear suspension that just seems like it was built for another, more luxurious vehicle.