Lexus February 2016 Sales Report

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
This may be dumb question, but these numbers include leases and purchases, correct? It would be interesting to see the breakdown amongst brands. A BMW dealership near me claims over 80% of their transactions are leases, and Lexus's is much lower.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
They lease so much higher because reliability is in issue for them but with a lease they don't have to worry about that (the owner of the lease doesn't).

mikeavelli

Reactions
This may be dumb question, but these numbers include leases and purchases, correct? It would be interesting to see the breakdown amongst brands. A BMW dealership near me claims over 80% of their transactions are leases, and Lexus's is much lower.

Well I guess that brings back up the controversy of BMW's win the last couple of years. The numbers are supposed to be for registered cars, as in actual owners. It seems BMW was caught with 10k less registered cars to owners as they were loaner/fleet cars.

For all intents and purposes yes this is for leased/sold cars to retail/fleet. I travel and rent cars quite a bit and you don't see Lexus being able to be rented, whereas BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, Lincoln hell and now Porsche etc can be rented at Hertz and other rental companies. This brings up the retail sale vs fleet sale argument (I have no issue with fleet sales, someone obviously demands them).

Here is a list from 2011
20110801_retail_lease_penetration_tl.jpg

Old article but still relevant today
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories...siness-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

BMW is more than a little exposed to leasing. According to PIN data, the flagship BMW 7 Series sedan (BusinessWeek.com, 4/16/07) is No. 1 on the list of most leased vehicles, at 85.3% lease penetration.

From what people in the industry tell me BMW, Infiniti lease the most overall. Infiniti is the most price sensitive customer with leases. Lexus has risen with lease penetration in recent years but still much further behind.

I also find it to be a regional thing as well. In Atlanta leasing isn't as aggressive as it is in Miami where everyone seemingly has a luxury car and its because you can find all these under $400 a month deals for one. IMO takes quite a bit away from the "luxury" experience when the cars are so common.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Well I guess that brings back up the controversy of BMW's win the last couple of years. The numbers are supposed to be for registered cars, as in actual owners. It seems BMW was caught with 10k less registered cars to owners as they were loaner/fleet cars.

For all intents and purposes yes this is for leased/sold cars to retail/fleet. I travel and rent cars quite a bit and you don't see Lexus being able to be rented, whereas BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, Lincoln hell and now Porsche etc can be rented at Hertz and other rental companies. This brings up the retail sale vs fleet sale argument (I have no issue with fleet sales, someone obviously demands them).

Here is a list from 2011
20110801_retail_lease_penetration_tl.jpg

Old article but still relevant today
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories...siness-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice

From what people in the industry tell me BMW, Infiniti lease the most overall. Infiniti is the most price sensitive customer with leases. Lexus has risen with lease penetration in recent years but still much further behind.

I also find it to be a regional thing as well. In Atlanta leasing isn't as aggressive as it is in Miami where everyone seemingly has a luxury car and its because you can find all these under $400 a month deals for one. IMO takes quite a bit away from the "luxury" experience when the cars are so common.

Wow, thanks for all of the info! The dealer I mentioned is Global BMW in Atlanta. There's something to be said when most Lexus buyers purchase their cars yet Lexus still has the highest sales figures. Even with repeat customers leasing new wheels every three years, the other's stay behind!

Reactions
Though Lexus sedan sales may be down, isn't that true across the market? I would assume with Mercedes, BMW, and Audi releasing more and more crossovers their sedan sales are declining as well.
Yeah, all down;)

For those mainstream brands, owners have little extra to play.
For luxury brands, buyers have more sense of the trend, and have more coins to pay for the extra ownership cost.

Luxury sedans are down just at the right pace, Crossover/SUV is the trend to go.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Maybe I just feel differently than how must do but I just don't feel like leasing you own the car. And I mean this in a like everyday driving this is my car kind of feel. I know that leasing you give back to the dealer and all that but to those out there that lease do you feel like you own the car? I need a new car in the next few years and I just don't about leasing. I mean I would drive under 12000-15000 miles whichever and I like new cars and I know its cheaper but the feeling to me is it's not mine, why take good care of it? Anyone have some words for the wise here?

Reactions
Maybe I just feel differently than how must do but I just don't feel like leasing you own the car. And I mean this in a like everyday driving this is my car kind of feel. I know that leasing you give back to the dealer and all that but to those out there that lease do you feel like you own the car? I need a new car in the next few years and I just don't about leasing. I mean I would drive under 12000-15000 miles whichever and I like new cars and I know its cheaper but the feeling to me is it's not mine, why take good care of it? Anyone have some words for the wise here?
Different brands are playing the different games. The world in no need is the same.
What is more! Not really that many people can afford luxury vehicles in USA, in 2009-2012 it clearly showed the pictures.
However, manufacturers have to figure out their own ways to move on.

mikeavelli

Reactions

A lot of leases are write-offs as well and with cars changing so much, many people want to have the latest and greatest. Hell today people now technically "lease" their phones with all these new trade-in programs since the tech moves so fast no one wants to keep an old phone.

You bring a good point, most people seem to beat up leases. They get maintained at the bare minimum and people care less as its not theirs (there are penalties for excessive wear and tear but you can also buy a package that covers that at the time to turn the lease in).

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Good sign to be in front after the two slowest-selling months of the year. The SUVs all looks like they are set to have a big year, and the Lexus NX is only hundreds of units behind the Acura RDX for class president. If it passes it by the end of April, it should win out for the year

Normally, March would have 5 Saturdays, making it a huge March Madness sales marker, but this year April gets 5 Saturdays. Also, December ends on a Saturday night, the Lexus' December to Dismember might approach 50k!
BD