Lexus Europe Announces CT & IS Sport Appearance Packages

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
I just re-read this article. I predict eBay sales of F Sport badges will sell out.
Black wheels - gray wheels. Black spindle grill - black spindle grill. To every car passing by and in movement, the only differentiator visible will be the black mirrors. So every "Sport" IS owner throws a set of F Sport badges on their fenders and 99% of the world will never really know.
LexFather said it already: don't use the word "Sport" at all because the F Sport will more or less become irrelevant.
Hell, my dealer didn't even order my car with the rear deck spoiler, and I wasn't going to pay $700 to add one after the fact when it's a lease.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I had the misfortune to drive a CT sports version (can't remember what it was called) when my 2IS went in for its 6-year megaservice at the local Lexus dealer. Wow, I couldn't wait to hand it back and really don't understand how this vehicle sells at all.

The main problem was the rock-hard suspension, which jolted me and my passengers over every road imperfection (and we have a lot here in the UK!). Potholes sent a severe shock through the seats and expansion joints were noisy AND bumpy.

The hard seats similarly offered little in the way of comfort. I had sciatica under my thighs after about 30 mins behind the wheel.

And finally, the on/off nature of the power delivery meant it wasn't fun to drive.

When I got back into my IS250, I truly appreciated the soft, well-cushioned driver's seat, the suspension that soaked up road imperfections without complaint, and the smooth, powerful delivery of the creamy six-cylinder under the bonnet (hood).

This explains precisely why I've kept my beloved IS250 and not switched it for one of the "pseudo BMWs" that Lexus now seem to peddle. Really sad that they've chosen to abandon the luxury market.

If you think the 2IS had a hard suspension, did you test-drive the original IS-F in 2008 when it first debuted ? I did. On rough roads, it was ridiculous. The rear suspension was so hard that on mild frost-heaves in the road, even at moderate speeds, that the rear wheels would sometimes bounce off the ground an inch or so, sometimes coming back down at a slight angle.....I had to make small steering corrections. It was clearly designed for a glass-smooth race-track, not a bumpy road. Lexus softened it up a little the very next year because of the complaints.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
If you think the 2IS had a hard suspension, did you test-drive the original IS-F in 2008 when it first debuted ? I did. On rough roads, it was ridiculous. The rear suspension was so hard that on mild frost-heaves in the road, even at moderate speeds, that the rear wheels would sometimes bounce off the ground an inch or so, sometimes coming back down at a slight angle.....I had to make small steering corrections. It was clearly designed for a glass-smooth race-track, not a bumpy road. Lexus softened it up a little the very next year because of the complaints.

I think his point was the CT Sport had a hard suspension, not his 2IS.

On the IS F, yes they improved it the very next year, and kept improving it each year. Word is that the 2011-2012+ IS F models are quite comfortable.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions

On the IS F, yes they improved it the very next year, and kept improving it each year. Word is that the 2011-2012+ IS F models are quite comfortable.
Yes they are. 2011 was when they made the IS F right.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

I didn't review the later IS-F models, so, yes, I'll have to just go by word-of-mouth on that one, too.

On the CT, fair point. If he was refering to the CT Sport suspension and not that of the 2GenIS, part of what may seem to be suspension harshness in the CT is probably just a simple lack of suspension travel. The CT, for a vehicle in its class, sits rather low to the ground, much the same way that Honda Civic hatchbacks formerly did a number of years ago, and that doesn't leave a lot of room under the wheel wells for long-travel suspension and bump-absorbtion.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
I had the misfortune to drive a CT sports version (can't remember what it was called) when my 2IS went in for its 6-year megaservice at the local Lexus dealer. Wow, I couldn't wait to hand it back and really don't understand how this vehicle sells at all.

The main problem was the rock-hard suspension, which jolted me and my passengers over every road imperfection (and we have a lot here in the UK!). Potholes sent a severe shock through the seats and expansion joints were noisy AND bumpy.

The hard seats similarly offered little in the way of comfort. I had sciatica under my thighs after about 30 mins behind the wheel.

And finally, the on/off nature of the power delivery meant it wasn't fun to drive.

When I got back into my IS250, I truly appreciated the soft, well-cushioned driver's seat, the suspension that soaked up road imperfections without complaint, and the smooth, powerful delivery of the creamy six-cylinder under the bonnet (hood).

This explains precisely why I've kept my beloved IS250 and not switched it for one of the "pseudo BMWs" that Lexus now seem to peddle. Really sad that they've chosen to abandon the luxury market.
Quote: "Really sad that they've chosen to abandon the luxury market."
Hmm, you walk a little too fast, I think.
I was also a "happy CT F Sport" driver when my 3IS F Sport was brought in for maintenance, a couple of weeks ago.
To be honest (sorry KREW), but it it's not the same, but yeah, don't compare an IS with an RX, and so on...
It's different, the CT, but it is definitely a Lexus with a lot of luxury.
Have you ever driven a 3IS, then compare that once the 2Is...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Today Autocar reviewed new 318i Sport, which is not a sport version at all, just a sport equipment which has different interior cloth:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/3-series/first-drives/bmw-3-series-318i-sport-review

This is done all the time in Europe, so no need to be concerned about it.... Both Mercedes and BMW use their AMG and M brands for cheaper equipment lines a lot more than Lexus does... in Europe... where these Lexus sport equipment models are offered.

I do find it silly that our US users complain a lot about lack of options, but then also complain a lot when they get the options...I cant imagine what would average person say if they offered 6-7 engines in Corolla like they do in Europe, how confusing would that be? Just shows that Lexus USA limiting options on purpose to simplify buying in the USA is justified.