Lexus Enthusiast-September 2015 Auto Sales Thread

mikeavelli

Reactions
2016 TDI's sitting at US ports, not available to public, known for weeks. TDI's were significant part (over 15%) of already declining VW US sales.

Yes, but astute US car buyers are not necessarily clamoring to buy any VW-branded products offered by an automaker mired in biggest fraud fiasco in automotive history. VW US knows this and is discounting accordingly. As Mike said and I agree, "really curious to see the results of the VW affair and its effect on sales..." TBD, as VW continues to get plenty of free press/advertising.

I read there is $2000 loyalty bonus for a VW diesel owner to stay with the brand and get a new VW. I just don't see how anyone is clamoring for one right now. They will really have to be aggressive with the new Tiguan and products coming forward.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I read there is $2000 loyalty bonus for a VW diesel owner to stay with the brand and get a new VW. I just don't see how anyone is clamoring for one right now. They will really have to be aggressive with the new Tiguan and products coming forward.

Thanks for the news, that's very interesting. I wonder if this loyalty bonus is already factored into the total costs for VW for this entire scandal, or whether this is a further additional cost. I agree, I also don't expect many people to be wanting a VW diesel now, even with a loyalty bonus. I think only the most diehard diesel fans would stay loyal.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
That $2000 loyalty-bonus is only for gas and hybrid VW products, as the no-sale order for diesels is still in effect.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
That $2000 loyalty-bonus is only for gas and hybrid VW products, as the no-sale order for diesels is still in effect.

Yes, although for the V6 TDI diesel in Touareg which is not on stop-sale , it's not clear in VW's/Touareg website as to loyalty-bonus having the gas and hybrid only restriction. (Although dealership giving that amount of discount to unload/move the metal would be no big deal)

Note: VW US is inconsistent (no surprise) throughout their website regarding above, when this loyalty bonus wording is looked at on their website for other VW models showing restriction applying to all models. Below I've shown the wording per VW website for the Touareg model specifically, it doesn't restrict:

$2,000 Owner Loyalty Bonus*
On new 2015 and 2016 Touareg models.
"Returning Volkswagen owners may be eligible for a $2,000* Owner Loyalty Bonus toward the purchase or lease of a new, 2015 or 2016 Touareg model."

*For an individual or immediate family member residing at the same address as the individual (proof of residency required) who currently owns a Volkswagen vehicle (proof of ownership/registration is required). Limit one incentive per eligible VIN. Volkswagen of America, Inc. will pay a $2,000 Owner Loyalty Bonus toward the lease or purchase of a new, unused 2015 or 2016 Jetta, Passat, CC, Beetle, Beetle Convertible, Eos, Golf, Golf GTI, Golf R, e-Golf, Golf SportWagen, Tiguan, Touareg. No trade-in required. Offer is non-transferable. Loyalty Offer Bonus must be applied toward customer lease or purchase and is not redeemable for cash. Incentive paid to dealer and requires dealer participation. May not be combined with Volkswagen Fleet Incentives, Conquest, other Loyalty, or Dealership Employee Programs. Corporations, companies, businesses, and dealerships are not eligible. Fleet leasing, fleet management or dealer-affiliated fleet companies are not eligible. Offer ends November 2, 2015. See your local Volkswagen dealer for financing details or, for general product information, call 1-800-374-8389. © 2015 Volkswagen of America, Inc.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Ironic that the VW loyalty bonus is in reality much less than the regular discounts being offered on current VW gas and hybrid models, which go as high as up to $11-12K off on some models.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, although for the V6 TDI diesel in Touareg which is not on stop-sale , it's not clear in VW's/Touareg website as to loyalty-bonus having the gas and hybrid only restriction. (Although dealership giving that amount of discount to unload/move the metal would be no big deal)

Not many Touraeg diesels are sold in the U.S. market to start with, so it's probably not much of a factor either way. In fact, the Touraeg itself has never been that popular in the U.S. Most buyers considering a crossover car-based SUV in that class usually end up with a Highlander, Pilot, Explorer, Murano, etc.....

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Not many Touraeg diesels are sold in the U.S. market to start with, so it's probably not much of a factor either way. In fact, the Touraeg itself has never been that popular in the U.S. Most buyers considering a crossover car-based SUV in that class usually end up with a Highlander, Pilot, Explorer, Murano, etc.....

Obviously. Touareg is slow seller/dud. Agreed minimal impact.

Too bad VW can't get its message out with accuracy on its own website (even today) or without making fraudulent claims.