Lexus Enthusiast-August 2015 Auto Sales Thread (Lexus #1)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Speaking of a top 3 premium brands sales race in U.S, with Lexus moving to number 2 spot YTD Aug.'15, wow....

What a time to buy a car :D
thnak you dear lexfather for information...and thanks lexus for everythings.

My pleasure!

Bmw only sold ninety 7 series?! That has to be some sort of typo, I know there is a redesigned model, but wow!

I am assuming F01 7 series production is stopped since the new G11 arrives this fall. BMW expects first year sales to be the best.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
Speaking of a top 3 premium brands sales race in U.S, with Lexus moving to number 2 spot YTD Aug.'15, wow....

What a time to buy a car :D
thnak you dear lexfather for information...and thanks lexus for everythings.

My pleasure!

Bmw only sold ninety 7 series?! That has to be some sort of typo, I know there is a redesigned model, but wow!

I am assuming F01 7 series production is stopped since the new G11 arrives this fall. BMW expects first year sales to be the best.
Thanks for the hard work and dedication buddy!

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Some solid numbers for Lexus, wow! Amazing to see the new models doing so well, and not cannibalizing sales of existing models. The old and dated LS keeps on trucking, still 2nd in sales in the segment.
Toyota division though down a fair bit, especially the cars, not so much the SUVs.
Surprised to see the Accord and Civic outsold the Camry and Corolla. Then again I've heard Toyota is gradually offering less and less incentives than they have in years past. Honda America on the other hand seems to be increasing incentives.

Cadillac looks almost dead in the water, same with Acura.
Audi Q5 sales are definitely puzzling, but could have been really hot deals in the past while.

Reactions
April%2B2015%2BUSA%2Bluxury%2Bcar%2Bsales%2Bchart.jpg

Reactions
The CT is suffering the same sales decline as the Prius...doesn't help that Hybrids aren't in demand, while crossovers are.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Looks like people are still addicted to the 3-series, even though many reviewers agree that most of them, except for the M3s, simply aren't the equal of their older predecessors.

Down there at the bottom, the handful of Acura TL and TSX sales must have been from those sitting on the dealer lots for months and finally sold off with some huge incentives or discounts. Both were officially dropped in from American market some time ago, and replaced with the single-line TLX.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
The CT is suffering the same sales decline as the Prius...doesn't help that Hybrids aren't in demand, while crossovers are.

I assume the low gas pricing are not hurting either and even with updates the car is older. It was never intended to be a big seller. Thanks for the chart!!!
Looks like people are still addicted to the 3-series, even though many reviewers agree that most of them, except for the M3s, simply aren't the equal of their older predecessors.

Down there at the bottom, the handful of Acura TL and TSX sales must have been from those sitting on the dealer lots for months and finally sold off with some huge incentives or discounts. Both were officially dropped in from American market some time ago, and replaced with the single-line TLX.

Yeah some leftover cars. Unfortunately the TLX has not come close to match the TL sales in its heyday let alone the TL and TSX combined.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yeah some leftover cars. Unfortunately the TLX has not come close to match the TL sales in its heyday let alone the TL and TSX combined.

I assume, by the TL's "heyday", you mean before the silly-looking last-generation. I can understand why the last version didn't sell.

Reactions
I assume the low gas pricing are not hurting either and even with updates the car is older. It was never intended to be a big seller. Thanks for the chart!!
I think I goofed, the chart is for back in April...no sight of August yet. Yeah, the CT is a sub 1,000-2,000 unit seller...it sells almost better than each Scion model.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I know that the new ES is now at dealers... I wonder when the GS and RX are going to drop? I think Lexus has quoted "Later this year" for both.

Refreshed ES + IS 200t + refreshed GS and GS 200t + all-new RX... Lexus showrooms are going to be bonkers and they better have a good media plan to advertise all of this!

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I know that the new ES is now at dealers... I wonder when the GS and RX are going to drop? I think Lexus has quoted "Later this year" for both.

Refreshed ES + IS 200t + refreshed GS and GS 200t + all-new RX... Lexus showrooms are going to be bonkers and they better have a good media plan to advertise all of this!

November or December perhaps?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I quite frankly think Q5 is a pretty "average" product and have never cared for it much. Not sure how they're blowing them out like this... maybe 2015 MY clearance deals?

Audis, in general, have traditionally sold on their interior materials, paint-jobs, and fit/finish.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think BMW Benz and Lexus have a chance at a crazy 40k sales month in Decmeber based on inventory.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
August 2015 Highlights:
  • Corolla posted sales of 31,726 units
  • Total TMS light trucks posted sales of 93,575 units

Wonder what they mean by "light trucks"? o_O That could cover any one of a number different types of vehicles and/or crossovers. The 93,000+ figure is huge for one month.....three times that of the Corolla's.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Wonder what they mean by "light trucks"? o_O That could cover any one of a number different types of vehicles and/or crossovers. The 93,000+ figure is huge for one month.....three times that of the Corolla's.

You probably guessed correctly. You can easily verify this yourself by adding up the Toyota August sales units for specific models known to be "light trucks". Note: Scion Xb sales should be included in that count.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You probably guessed correctly. You can easily verify this yourself by adding up the Toyota August sales units for specific models known to be "light trucks". Note: Scion Xb sales should be included in that count.
The xB was supposed to be discontinued, but it is still listed as an active Scion product on their web-site.

The xB surprised the marketing people at Scion in several ways. Though intended primarily for young people, its average buyer-age turned out to be 46. And, while it was expected to sell less than the smaller xA, the reverse turned out to be true. A number of older folks liked its combination of low price, gas economy, space efficiency, cargo space, an ideal height for easy entry/exit, easy no-dicker price-deals, and good reliability, though the center-stack gauges also turned some folks off.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
The xB was supposed to be discontinued, but it is still listed as an active Scion product on their web-site.

The xB surprised the marketing people at Scion in several ways. Though intended primarily for young people, its average buyer-age turned out to be 46, and, while it was expected to sell less than the smaller xA, the reverse turned out to be true. A number of older folks liked its combination of low price, gas economy, space efficiency, cargo space, an ideal height for easy entry/exit, and good reliability, though the center-stack gauges also turned some folks off.

Yes we know all that about Xb.

And I don't recall Toyota giving a date for the discontinuation of Xb.

1376 units sold in August 2015, second best selling Scion model.

Back to original question, did you add up numbers for "light truck"?

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
And I don't recall Toyota giving a date for the discontinuation of Xb.

Apparantly, it's going out by the end of the year, but you're right....a specific date has not been announced.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bye-bye-xb-scions-boxy-hatch-to-bow-out/

The first-generation xB was the car that launched the Scion brand with a major bang back in 2003 (with an assist from the xA), but it faltered with a 2008 redesign and was never able to regain its momentum. Now Wards Auto is reporting that Scion vice president Doug Murtha has confirmed the model will be dropped at the end of this year.

The original xB, which was a rebadged JDM Toyota bB, was the original ultra-hip, ultra-square “urban utility vehicle” that set the tone for the concert-throwing youth division. Alas, the model literally lost its edginess with a bloated redesign that rounded off the cube and added some 600 pounds. Competitors arrived in the square space, in the form of cars like the Nissan Cube (too weird: 3785 sales in 2014 before being killed for 2015) and the Kia Soul (just weird enough: 145,316 sales last year). Meanwile, xB sales sank to 16,583.