krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-08-18-lexus-lf-1-spindle-grille.jpg

The Lexus signature spindle grille will remain a design staple even as the brand introduces pure electric drivetrains — from an Autocar India interview with Lexus Design general manager Koichi Suga:

Koichi Suga, general manager of Lexus Design Division,…says the brand’s signature spindle grille is here to stay. “I don’t think this will happen, unless there is some big shift in top management. And if that happens I will fight to keep it.” Suga also believes that spindle grille is what Lexus customers value. “Our customers value a unique identity and we have a responsibility to ensure that we satisfy this requirement.”

The spindle grille reframed Lexus as a design-forward manufacturer, and quite frankly, too much has been invested to consider swapping in something more generic. That said, Suga does...

Continue reading...

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
They will probably make the grille fully solid without any texture since there is no actual radiator or need for engine cooling. It will also differentiate the EVs from the gas-powered Lexuses.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
They will probably make the grille fully solid without any texture since there is no actual radiator or need for engine cooling. It will also differentiate the EVs from the gas-powered Lexuses.

Would like to see the entire spindle will glow (and maybe even pulsate when charging) blue.

Hope Lexus pays me for this one.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Electric motors produce heat, and need cooling just like ICEs. The difference is that it is not done with radiators, water pumps, and coolant-circulation like in ICEs.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Depends. The Leaf is air-cooled VW-style, but Tesla uses standard antifreeze pumped through the battery packs and motors.

OK, Thanks......I might (?) stand corrected on that. I didn't know that Tesla used traditional coolant, even though I had test-drove one.

Reactions

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
I think the whole grille glowing would be too much, but a soft glow for a backlight outlining the grille would be nice.

Yea I don't think anybody wants the full spindle shape to be glowing, just the outline. Gotta keep it classy.

The BMW Concept 4 is the latest envelope pusher in the corporate grille wars.

New-BMW-Concept-4-huge-grille.jpg

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I've got to thank the BMW designers to put out such horrendous designs that I have made up my mind, stay very patient and will stick with Lexus/Toyota BEVs.

Even Mark of Savagegeese seems to think highly of many Lexus models, especially the IS, RC, LC vehicles. Main complaint about the vehicles was the infotainment system.