Lexus December & 2016 Year End Sales Report

Reactions
USA%2Bluxury%2Bauto%2Bbrand%2Bmarket%2Bshare%2Bchart%2B2016%2Bcalendar%2Byear.jpg

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2017/01/2016-usa-best-selling-luxury-autos.html
Top 15 Best-Selling Luxury Vehicles In America - 2016 Year End

The Lexus RX was America's most popular premium brand automobile in 2016, and it secured Lexus the victory by a hefty margin.

After outselling the BMW 3-Series by merely 6070 units in 2015, the 3-Series plunged, the new challenger from Mercedes-Benz also took a dive, and Lexus RX sales jumped 9%. In 2016, the RX finished the year with 109,435 sales, 32,268 more than the second-ranked C-Class; 53,940 sales ahead of the next-best-selling premium utility vehicle.

The Lexus brand was America's second-ranked premium brand. Mercedes-Benz reported 340,237 total sales with its premium division, Sprinter and Metris vans excluded. Lexus sales fell 4% to 331,228 units. BMW reported 313,174 sales, a 10% year-ver-year decline.

Among the 15 top-selling luxury vehicles in America in 2016, 10 were SUVs/crossovers. Likewise, among the 15 top-selling $50,000+ vehicles in America in 2016, 10 were SUVs/crossovers.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Good post...simple to look at, graphically.

It's obvious who the Big Three are in this field (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus) , though the rest of the circle looks more or less evenly divided up. We've also got a newcomer (Genesis) that is still probably too new to have significant a presence on the chart....we'll see what it looks like for Genesis next year.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I was surprised that the Rogue sold so many last month. Nissan had a real fire sale...it did its job for sure, it sold better than the RAV, CR-V and Camry, of which its sales really waned for December, so I wonder what the all new MY18 will do if anything to keep sales leveled.

I can't find the link but Nissan credits their Star Wars integration as helping.

BTW, Mike...stay safe if you are in Atlanta tonight. Looks like a major winter storm for much of the SE.

In MIiami, yall can keep the cold weather :D

James

Founding Member
Reactions
As we have all of the numbers now for the year any way to get the data on hybrid vs gas for RX and NX? It would be cool to see what the breakdown of those really is.

mikeavelli

Reactions
As we have all of the numbers now for the year any way to get the data on hybrid vs gas for RX and NX? It would be cool to see what the breakdown of those really is.

Hey James. Check this site out, excellent source.
http://www.hybridcars.com/december-2016-dashboard/

Seems Lexus sold more RX hybrids then ES and CT...NX is actually rather low in the 300 range...I think they need a F-Sport option...

Also note the Rav-4 is selling big as a hybrid. I was unaware of this.

HEV1216.jpg