ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Would torque vectoring as in the GSF work for off road?
A good old manual locker is naturally torque vectoring in off-road conditions capable of sending 100% of the torque to any wheel. No offroad person would ever want something as complicated and easy to break as TVD for offroading. Just no.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
A good old manual locker is naturally torque vectoring in off-road conditions capable of sending 100% of the torque to any wheel. No offroad person would ever want something as complicated and easy to break as TVD for offroading. Just no.

Which almost no off-road vehicles have, not even the Land Cruiser 200, which only has center diff-lock. All use ABS/EBD based 'lockers' which are pure rubbish, just as ABS/EBD based 'torque-vectoring' as used in by Porsche sportscars. That is why I am asking. Replacing good hardware by inferior software is rip-off.

Talking of reliability, every CUV/SUV has air-suspension, which is great in theory but problematic in real world. Electronic diff-'locking' is not also bad in real world, but also in theory.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Which almost no off-road vehicles have, not even the Land Cruiser 200, which only has center diff-lock. All use ABS/EBD based 'lockers' which are pure rubbish, just as ABS/EBD based 'torque-vectoring' as used in by Porsche sportscars. That is why I am asking. Replacing good hardware by inferior software is rip-off.

Talking of reliability, every CUV/SUV has air-suspension, which is great in theory but problematic in real world. Electronic diff-'locking' is not also bad in real world, but also in theory.
You just answered your own question. Manufacturers won't even put a simple low cost hardware solution in let alone a really complicated piece of tech like TVD.

BTW CRAWL control on LC200 works like magic almost making lockers irrelevant in vast majority of the situations. It is one of the few software-based solutions that actually works in offroading. The Middle East-spec LC200 has rear locker.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Yup. TVD is also heavy and quite a big piece. More useful for high speeds.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
TV (the real one) could then be applied to ICEVs with 3 TVDs, but yes it would be heavier, expensive and software complex. But that is what thech is about afterall no? Otherwise we would still be driving OHVs with carburators.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

actually you can get LC200 with rear diff lock, depending on area of the world you live in. Prado might have it in some versions around the world, but I forgot, long time since I sold those.

As @ssun30 mentioned, crawl control works good, and these things are pretty unstoppable with locking center diff and low gear.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So, the E-Axle was supposed to enter production in H1 2020. With Coronavirus it's probably delayed. I just don't see any possible PHV coming this year: NXh+ for next year, ES and UX will be refreshed next year too so it makes no sense to have PHV version this year
It's strange we haven't seen trademarks for 'ES450h+'.

Reactions
Here is 2021 ES update:
There is 4 new model numbers coming up in ES as ES250 AWD
Base, Luxury, Ultra Luxury and F-SPORT
seems like they’re renaming Atomic Silver to Sonic Titanium and Caviar to Graphite Black also Deep sea mica to Nighfall Mica.
ES hybrid don’t have any new models
In addition, I believe there is a new interior color by the name Cypress.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Here is 2021 ES update:
There is 4 new model numbers coming up in ES as ES250 AWD
Base, Luxury, Ultra Luxury and F-SPORT
seems like they’re renaming Atomic Silver to Sonic Titanium and Caviar to Graphite Black also Deep sea mica to Nighfall Mica.
ES hybrid don’t have any new models
In addition, I believe there is a new interior color by the name Cypress.

Thank you!

Can't wait for 204hp ES 250 AWD to drop! 🤣