Lexus CT F SPORT Owner Blog

Skipetenj

Founding Member
Reactions
I agree with everyone - its harder to find the 'right spot' then choosing where to go first in a mall. One interesting note, a least all of us parking in the remote spots are receiving a benefit - a little extra exercise. In our area you see a lot of vehicles with bumper protectors - now we need side body protectors. I.m glad to see so many others suffering from PPP (paint protection paranoia). Where are you going to park your new LC500? The moon. KREW, thanks for coming clean.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I truly understand. It sucks to park in a full parking lot. I do tend to park further away and very conscious to what vehicle I park next to. It would be nice if parking lots separated luxury cars in their own spot but that would be like valet and there is no way I would let the valet drive my car...

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I hate parking spots. I'm like all of you where I'm conscious about the impacts (literally) as I drive into a parking area.

Factors I consider when parking in public spots.

1. Farthest available parking spot from the building/venue.
2. Last parking spot in the row.
3. Avoidance of parking beside a two-door car due to increased risk from the longer door, unless it's a premium car.
4. Avoidance of "family vehicles" I see a car or booster seats in the back seats = increased chances of kids or parents swinging open doors, or jackets, purchases, etc hitting the car.
5. Avoidance of any older car, especially a beater.
6. Avoidance near a cart return, sidewalk, or other areas where people dump their carts.
7. Avoidance of a low point spot where winds and gravity can have a cart roll down into the car.

In short, despite these avoidance efforts, I still manage to get dings. Latest one of three separate damages inflicted by others is on the fuel door on DarthNX, happened just a week ago. :mad:

80-nxtank1_feaa126c45022d935278406ebadeea07a943e907.jpg

RAL

Reactions
I appreciate your comprehensive list corradoMR2. I learned no. 7 the hard way many years ago. I had parked a long way from other cars, but unfortunately close to a storm drain vent I didn't notice. The lot pavement was gradually funneled down to this drain. The slope wasn't that noticeable until I returned. I can still remember the feeling of my stomach flipping from what I saw. It looked as though my car was a shopping cart magnet with 5 carts banged against it from front to back ... all having left large dings with scratches! The wind had sailed all lose carts down the slope crashing into my car. Ouch!!! ... talk about a lesson learned that day :eek:

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I appreciate your comprehensive list corradoMR2. I learned no. 7 the hard way many years ago. I had parked a long way from other cars, but unfortunately close to a storm drain vent I didn't notice. The lot pavement was gradually funneled down to this drain. The slope wasn't that noticeable until I returned. I can still remember the feeling of my stomach flipping from what I saw. It looked as though my car was a shopping cart magnet with 5 carts banged against it from front to back ... all having left large dings with scratches! The wind had sailed all lose carts down the slope crashing into my car. Ouch!!! ... talk about a lesson learned that day :eek:

Oh my, this is a nightmare. :eek: Which car?

RAL

Reactions
Oh my, this is a nightmare. :eek: Which car?

Actually, it was 1993. I was still a GM person then with a white & silver metallic Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL
which, incidentally, had the floating roofline now coming back into vogue.

Notice my avatar monogram ... the large centered "L" could easily stand for Lexus rather than my surname. We'll never own anything else. I got a real kick when Akio said his middle name is now Lexus! ;)

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
I have another rule - I never park beside a two door car like a Camaro (especially in the wind) as those doors are so wide they're almost assured to hit.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
I have to smile because this is familiar to me.
Last year I was in America (West coast), and saw many large car parks. Really, a lot wider than in Europe. My first thought: that's easy parking! But I had momentarily overlooked that the cars also are bigger / wider ...
I used to also find a place a little further away, until I got tired of it almost every time my (metal) valves were stolen. Just something closer parking where there is more movement, helped.

Reactions: RAL

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I have another rule - I never park beside a two door car like a Camaro (especially in the wind) as those doors are so wide they're almost assured to hit.

Good rule of thumb^.

Another thing to watch for is SUV's, because the rear doors will hit our sedans, coupes and hatchbacks up high which can cause expensive damage.
(Look at the shape of a SUV door as it wraps around the rear wheel, therefore the widest part of the door when open is very high up. No body side molding will protect where these doors tend to hit a conventional car and/or another SUV.)

Reactions
Same with this. I almost never ever park next to another car, always in a spot that is ample space where I can hug the curb so the spot next to me is far away from the car or just in a spot where I'm fairly certain another car won't park. Also In the city, I have certain streets in every neighborhood that I know are solid for large spaces and well lighted etc. also I use the Robotic parking garage on any Saturday night or Friday night out near the bars. The garage is cheaper than the traditional garages and keeps the car completely safe. It works like this one, https://youtu.be/w3vtpGtyw1k

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
Thanks for the updates and videos you have given to the community.

I will keep driving mine for some years to come. It has turned out to be a much more frugal owner's experience than I dared hope. It is also still a hit among friends and family here.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I will keep driving mine for some years to come. It has turned out to be a much more frugal owner's experience than I dared hope. It is also still a hit among friends and family here.

If I was smart, this is exactly what I would have done as well.

:pensive: