krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2022-12-06-lexus-electrified-coupe.jpg

Lexus is developing a simulated manual transmission for electric vehicles, with the announcement coming during the Toyota Kenshiki conference.
The system uses a physical gear shift, tachometer, and third pedal, but is not connected to a clutch — instead, the experience is simulated through software. The system veers towards the overly realistic, as the car will mimic all aspects: there’s the possibility of stalling the car and rolling backwards on a hill start.
“This new project all started with some Lexus engineers reflecting on what they liked about traditional [internal combustion] vehicles and what they had to miss out on with electric cars,” said Takashi Watanabe, Chief Engineer at Lexus Electrified. “[The] manual transmission was one thing they enjoyed in particular.”
As an example, a UX 300e was outfitted with a prototype:

The prototype EV...

Continue reading...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Don't underestimate how much appeal this will have for a lot of people, especially younger people

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
As silly as this sounds, if it makes driving fun then I'm sure it has merit. It would be even better though if apart from just fun, it also had purpose (ie efficiency and performance gains for example).

Reactions
This is probably exactly the same as the manual sport shift mode already in place in their hybirds. It does somewhat simulate a traditional manual allowing you to smash out of corners at peak torque, and is slightly more engaging, but forget about redlines and bouncing off the rev limiter, this is something quite different to that.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
In their patent it's mainly a software limiting torque output of the motor to simulate the change in reduction ratios in an ICEV. In other words, it's intentionally making the car slower to simulate an ICEV.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Cool tech, but not sure who was exactly asking for this when Lexus hasn't had a manual vehicle in over a decade.
It sounds like their driving enthusiast engineers. Every time they listen to those type of people we tend to get something amazing, so I'm hopeful this will be fun.

Shifting gears is literally a film trope.
I knew dumb kids who would shift their automatics in and out of neutral as they drove.

This entire industry and market is much less centrally directed, agile, and rational than we often assume.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It sounds like their driving enthusiast engineers. Every time they listen to those type of people we tend to get something amazing, so I'm hopeful this will be fun.

Shifting gears is literally a film trope.
I knew dumb kids who would shift their automatics in and out of neutral as they drove.

This entire industry and market is much less centrally directed, agile, and rational than we often assume.

Lexus engineers should be more focused on a consistent F car strategy to keep driving enthusiasts engaged and less worried about pet projects nobody asked for, IMO.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I mean in their defense I don't think R&D elsewhere is suffering for this.

Also I really want it in an EV because it would be such dumb fun 😫

Reactions
As far as i know and what i read, Lexus, was pushing the Hydrogen button, and caught out with how fast Electric progressed, (Bad leadership), It is good to see this, and I hope it has a V8 or V12, or V16 sound option with a volume button, wouldn't that be cool. And an option to switch back to full auto. Focused quality and pleasure for the driver and passengers.

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
As far as i know and what i read, Lexus, was pushing the Hydrogen button, and caught out with how fast Electric progressed, (Bad leadership), It is good to see this, and I hope it has a V8 or V12, or V16 sound option with a volume button, wouldn't that be cool. And an option to switch back to full auto. Focused quality and pleasure for the driver and passengers.
I'm sure some people like the fake sounds but for me, I'd rather the electric motor noise to sound like an electric motor. Maybe enhance it but still have it sound like an electric motor or not an ICE. To me, it'll be like making love to someone. Sure they can fake the sounds and it can make one feel like a champion. But it's much more satisfying when it's genuine.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Lexus engineers should be more focused on a consistent F car strategy to keep driving enthusiasts engaged and less worried about pet projects nobody asked for, IMO.
It's a cheap pet project that likely won't get cancelled because it's just software development. It will cost a few million dollars, not hundreds of millions for a real car.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
If people only knew how much of the price of their new car goes to covering the cost of clay modelling teams.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
They should run a V8 in their BEVs not connected to anything but a small fuel tank and an exhaust, just for noise generation.