Lexus Considers Move Back to Touchscreen Interfaces

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Here's what the ChDM Corolla/Levin infotainment looks like. They still have physical AC control!

This is the Levin 'Tech' trim, which oddly has more advanced infotainment than the top trim. It's has the new 12.1 inch ChDM infotainment screen plus a 10.8 inch HUD. a 7.0 inch digital dash, and a digital rear view mirror. This thing has more screens than any Lexus except the JDM ES (with digital side mirrors).

2019-04-26.png

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Here's what the ChDM Corolla/Levin infotainment looks like. They still have physical AC control!

This is the Levin 'Tech' trim, which oddly has more advanced infotainment than the top trim. It's has the new 12.1 inch ChDM infotainment screen plus a 10.8 inch HUD. a 7.0 inch digital dash, and a digital rear view mirror. This thing has more screens than any Lexus except the JDM ES (with digital side mirrors).

View attachment 3246
What's the difference between the top trim and the 'Tech' trim?

It's definitely a very fitting name for this trim level, IMO it looks ridiculous in a good way.

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
Almost 10 months now owning the Stinger with the touchscreen interface and no way would I trade that for the current RTI/screen setup Lexus offers.

I don't like the smudges and the screen although closer requires my head to turn more to the right taking my eyes/peripheral vision a little further away from the road. Journalists (mainly) complain about the RTI stating it's distracting but fail to point out that the Lexus screen is further back and more in the line of sight of the driver than a closer touchscreen can ever be. The few journalists that have actually had a Lexus for a longer period of time ended up warming up to the interface more.

Now, having experienced both the "mouse" and touchpad RTIs on my Lexus vehicles over the years, I do prefer the touchpad. Set to the lowest force feedback setting, the control is accurate and simple with the swipe and tap of a finger. On the other hand, the mouse requires more physical control and movement which can get more easily perturbed over rough roads overshooting the selection (and the main source of journalists' "complaints").

If Lexus pursues a touchscreen, I would hope it's to have the touchpad as touchscreen and to leave the 10-12" screen (or larger in the future) in its current ergonomically correct and safer place. It also looks cool and unique making it different than the mainstream closer touchscreen that the vast majority of cars are designed with.

I quite like my mouse. Like you though have set it on minimum feedback. It just feels smoother to use (if I had it my way i'd have zero feedback) but I guess i'm use to accurate mouse movements with all those years of starcrafting…

Journos don't live with the cars they review. It took me 1 day to get use to the RTI system simply because it is positioned so far away I can just glance at it without really looking away from what is ahead. I cant imagine using "gesture" control like a lunatic in my car just to change songs. I like to sit there relaxed without needing to reach forward in my car or even lift my arm away from the steering wheel. They see how the new and fancy thing the germans are doing and immediately think that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

And best of all...no fingerprints!

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Maybe voice command will do the trick haha?

I think I am part of the minority that don't care much about the infotainment system except for its positioning because I will mainly use it for navigation purposes.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
I can't speak to the LC, but the LS500 has a button on the center console that goes directly to the extended seat control screen.

I know, Ian, but even then it is rather complicated to adjust... but like everything, you get used to it ;)

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Almost 10 months now owning the Stinger with the touchscreen interface and no way would I trade that for the current RTI/screen setup Lexus offers.

I've said it before: I drove a rental Tucson a few years ago and I was very impressed with Hyundai's touchscreen. It was fast and responsive and all the other things the pre-2006 Lexus touchscreens weren't. It's one of the things that almost gets me over the hump of hating Genesis' exteriors.