Lexus April 2018 Sales Report

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Lexus April 2018 Sales Report

18-05-01-lexus-ls-april-sales.jpg

Up 6% in the USA, LS sells 1k units for the second month in a row.
View the original article post

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
With GS sales up nearly 20%, can't help but feel like Lexus is trolling us.

This is trolling:

Lexus race fans will now experience amazing as the County of Monterey announced today the addition of Lexus as its official luxury vehicle at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca (WRLS).

As part of the partnership, the Lexus GS F will serve as the official pace car

http://pressroom.toyota.com/release...y+vehicle+weathertech+raceway+laguna+seca.htm

I am thinking GS might not be going anywhere.

Reactions
LUXURY: Mercedes maintains luxe lead over BMW, Lexus

Mercedes-Benz USA, propelled by strong demand for SUVs, topped the luxury U.S. sales race in April and continues to outpace its nearest rivals, No. 2 BMW and No. 3 Lexus, year to date.

Mercedes' U.S. sales inched 1 percent higher in April to 27,207, excluding the brand's commercial van sales. U.S. sales at Mercedes for January through April dipped 0.4 percent to 105,681 from a year ago. BMW sales rose 3.8 percent in April to 23,482, while Lexus volume dipped 2.1 percent to 21,642.

Rounding out the luxury segment's top five brands in April U.S. sales were Audi, with sales of 19,104, up 2.1 percent; and Acura, with deliveries of 11,888, down 16 percent.

Even with a dip in volume, Mercedes remains in first place among luxury brands year to date, followed by BMW (97,317) and Lexus (85,853).

Mercedes-Benz' volume leaders in April were the GLC, C class and GLE. The GLC took the lead in April with U.S. sales of 5,853, followed by C class deliveries of 5,148. The GLE rounded out the top three with 4,110 units sold.

"April sales are leading us into a solid second quarter," Mercedes-Benz USA CEO Dietmar Exler said in a statement. "We continue to see strong demand for our SUVs, and our increasingly diverse product lineup will continue this momentum as we enter into the summer months."

Porsche Cars North America Inc. reported April U.S. sales of 5,570 -- a monthly retail record -- and a 0.7 percent gain over April 2017. Retail sales for January through April rose 7 percent to 19,524 vehicles.

"The Porsche mix of two- and four-door sports cars is getting a broad welcome from customers," Porsche Cars North America CEO Klaus Zellmer said in a statement. "We see this in the strong April demand that crosses model lines."

April growth leaders were the 718 Cayman, up 67 percent year-over-year, and the Macan, which gained 33 percent from April 2017.

Total U.S. luxury sales dipped 2.2 percent in April, excluding Cadillac's results. And for the year, deliveries of luxury brands are up 1.3 percent, excluding Cadillac. General Motors is now releasing quarterly U.S. sales results, rather than monthly, for Cadillac and its other core brands, Chevrolet, GMC and Buick.

Overall, the luxury market is outperforming the total U.S. light-vehicle market, which slipped an estimated 4.8 percent in April but is up 0.2 percent year to date.

Ray99

Founding Member
Reactions
LS and ES are the only two models that can boost Lexus throughout 2018. Mercedes E Class and S Class are hard to beat in terms of sales volume.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Does anyone find it disturbing the LC is already losing momentum after just 12 months? Remember they targeted 4,000 sales in 2017 alone? They achieved about 60% of that.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I know UX will be later in the year, but I expect RX L to add decent extra volume in it's first full year on sale.

Problem for Lexus is that their SUV lineup is starting to really lack the appeal of others. North of $60k, everything is a decade old. We need new GX and LX pretty badly, as well as LF-1.

Technically, RX should be refreshed later this year too for 2019MY.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I know UX will be later in the year, but I expect RX L to add decent extra volume in it's first full year on sale.

Problem for Lexus is that their SUV lineup is starting to really lack the appeal of others. North of $60k, everything is a decade old. We need new GX and LX pretty badly, as well as LF-1.

It is not really a problem since they sell really well.

What they need is new models, like UX and FT-1 in the future, in order to further increase the sales. For instance stopping sales of CT deduced 10k of sales from their yearly tally.

And they still have problems producing enough of all these SUVs, they need more RX-Ls, more NXs and they will likely need a lot more UXs than what they get alloted.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It is not really a problem since they sell really well.

It is a HUGE problem like I've said in a different post. Not having a healthy line-up in the "above RX" segment ready before 2017 is the single biggest business failure in all their history, period. They are bleeding at least $2 billion a year (partially offset by strong GX sales in US) due to a late LF-1 which is 10% of their annual revenue, and the loss of market share is even worse than the loss of potential sales.

Partially long winter, partially expensive. In any case, goal with LC is that it elevates the brand.

The disturbing part is that the prospect of the LC-F becomes grim. It will be harder to seel than the LFA...

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It is a HUGE problem like I've said in a different post. Not having a healthy line-up in the "above RX" segment ready before 2017 is the single biggest business failure in all their history, period. They are bleeding at least $2 billion a year (partially offset by strong GX sales in US) due to a late LF-1 which is 10% of their annual revenue, and the loss of market share is even worse than the loss of potential sales.

But LX does sell well... they sold over 30k LX's last year worldwide.

Sure FT-1 is going to be awesome, but they are selling LX really well for what it is. And GX also sells really well in the USA.

Combined they sell 8% of Lexus sales worldwide.

FT-1 is going to fit well in specific markets, but not all markets. Strongest markets for LX will not touch LF-1.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Another issue is they are going to look really stale soon when you can get a S Audi or AMG Benz everything or M/M-Sport with more power... I'm still stunned the GLC 43 AND 63 exist.

I am PRAYING for aggressive F expansion including SUV's.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@mikeavelli

Your plan may work well but maybe with the next NX & RX generations

They need to be built with F variant in mind, the current NX & RX chassis can't handle things fine

UX with the TNGA I think it can handle well up to 300hp as to go with GLA / X1 - X2 / Q3 with theirs respective sport variant, next NX with its TNGA need to up it's limits to catch the GLC / X3 - X4 / Q5 / Macan / Stelvio / F pace / etc though

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
GA-K is capable of handling at least 302hp, that part is clear. No excuse for Lexus to not build at least a NX350. I can imagine that thing selling like hot cakes in the U.S.