Leaked: The 2016 Lexus LX Shows Up on Facebook

D

DDas

I think it looks really good! The rear does remind me of a Toyota Sienna a little (like what Jason said), but it isn't too bad. I'm not sure if I like that bigger chrome bar under the L logo on the grille. They should have kept it a little more clean and organized by doing the same size horizontal bars. But i really do like it! The interior is a great improvement; way better than the Escalade!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The only thing I dislike is the wheels, it doesn't have that LX look

Agree with this very much. Needs something a little more masculine - like an updated version of the current split 5 spoke design.

Also, I'm really hoping for some type of powertrain upgrade... even if it's only an 8AT. Please, Lexus!

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I am stunned at how much I like this. I was expecting to be let down. The brash looks and L design goes well here. Again if the G-Wagon can go 500 years, why not this!

I really like it as well. The LX is gonna go a long way for a long time...I also look forward to the 3GX as well. I can already picture it in my mind with a bigger and pronounced spindle grill just like this new LX and also having the L tail lights in the rear as well...

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
There's only one thing that's wrong with this car, the rear taillights look too much like the X5's albeit different in its own way.

Reactions
Wow! That thing is beautiful! And it has the best looking interior of anything they have released since the LS update in 2013. It actually looks like a "Lexus." I can't wait to see how these updates translate to the LS.

I do wonder if we will ever see an LX-L to compete with the Range Rover, Escalade, and the future Mercedes Benz GL-Maybach which all offer extended wheelbases.

Reactions
Based on that picture alone, I'm not really a fan of the new LX. I feel like the current LX looks more masculine. I'm going to wait and see until Lexus officially releases the car. There's a huge market for large SUVs in Asia, I'm certain that this new LX is going to sell!

So is this change similar to the LS? I've heard that they've kept the same doors from the current model.

Reactions
Based on that picture alone, I'm not really a fan of the new LX. I feel like the current LX looks more masculine. I'm going to wait and see until Lexus officially releases the car. There's a huge market for large SUVs in Asia, I'm certain that this new LX is going to sell!

So is this change similar to the LS? I've heard that they've kept the same doors from the current model.
Huge market in Asia? I would think the biggest market for LXs/Land Cruisers is the Middle East based on how many are sold over there...

Reactions

Huge market in Asia? I would think the biggest market for LXs/Land Cruisers is the Middle East based on how many are sold over there...
The Middle East is apart of the continent of Asia

Reactions

The Middle East is part of the continent of Asia, but I should've been more specific -- I meant the Southeast areas of Asia, meaning Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, etc. Here in Indonesia, with some road conditions that aren't very ideal, the LX/Land Cruiser has become the go-to SUV for the Upper market. They know that the reliability of the Land Cruiser is unrivaled and that translates to the Lexus LX. I must note that due to the insane tax laws, the LX/Land Cruiser can cost over USD$200,000. The LX 570 now costs nearly USD$300,000.

Also, these Upper Market buyers own businesses outside of the big cities -- rural areas to be exact. Businesses can range from mining, property (land), or farming. They need a car that's comfortable, that can bust through those rough terrains and can still show up and look good at an event.

Reactions
The Middle East is part of the continent of Asia, but I should've been more specific -- I meant the Southeast areas of Asia, meaning Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, etc. Here in Indonesia, with some road conditions that aren't very ideal, the LX/Land Cruiser has become the go-to SUV for the Upper market. They know that the reliability of the Land Cruiser is unrivaled and that translates to the Lexus LX. I must note that due to the insane tax laws, the LX/Land Cruiser can cost over USD$200,000. The LX 570 now costs nearly USD$300,000.

Also, these Upper Market buyers own businesses outside of the big cities -- rural areas to be exact. Businesses can range from mining, property (land), or farming. They need a car that's comfortable, that can bust through those rough terrains and can still show up and look good at an event.
Understandably, yes, a LC/LX would be suitable in many areas of Southeast Asia, but I still doubt the volume sold there rivals the amounts sold in the Middle East region, given the different demographic and difference of income levels of the countries in each area, not to mention the cost of fuel. Of course, those with wealth can afford whatever they want regardless of where they live. Just that those in those certain regions of the Middle East income levels are pretty high and many more are able to afford a LC/LX.

Reactions
Understandably, yes, a LC/LX would be suitable in many areas of Southeast Asia, but I still doubt the volume sold there rivals the amounts sold in the Middle East region, given the different demographic and difference of income levels of the countries in each area, not to mention the cost of fuel. Of course, those with wealth can afford whatever they want regardless of where they live. Just that those in those certain regions of the Middle East income levels are pretty high and many more are able to afford a LC/LX.

I completely agree with you, the LC/LX market in Asia is incomparable to the Middle Eastern market. As you said, when we look at wealth, the terrain, demographics, etc. It's no wonder that the LC/LX is one of the top selling SUVs in the Middle East.

Reactions
I've enjoyed reading all these comments and have learned much. Pretty things are nice, but I would like to know if there are changes coming to the rear area. For me, make it or break it on a new LX is whether the third row seat is gone as an option, is removable, or disappears without making the rear floor too high. Not that we will need a new one for many years. My 2010 is getting its 60k service today and I think I could probably drive it forever. It's such a wonderful vehicle and has served us equally well off-road in our Colorado mountains in deep snow and while driving in town. But, I really need to be able to use all the space in the rear area. The current third row seat is a flawed design. We had a GX with the removable third row. It came out the day we bought it and didn't go back in until the day we sold it.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Like the new front end, and it seems slighter better than the RX, only because it has a bigger frontal area to use. very sleek, elegant, and hi-tech look. Silver is a very flattering color for the big guy. And the interior looks ready to get back to best-in-class style and materials. Will need about a 10% power upgrade to keep up with Escalade.

Well played, Gentlemen!
BD

Reactions: CIF

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
When I first saw the leaked image, I didn't like it, seeing how it was a vehicle lexus slapped on the spindle grille without making it look smooth, but with these images, I can say this LX looks great, I wish it was completely new instead of the "3000 new parts" because of that it the new interior of the LX, it definitely needs a new body/engine to go with it

But that interior is a top notch

Couldn't happen "this year", as when I learned Lexus was not updating the LX for 2015 and instead for 2016, it became obvious it would miss out on a late 2016/early 2017 redesign. This is very satisfactory, but the pedantic nerd in me would've wanted a fully ground-up redesign in 18-21 months time instead. This will not be touched again for at least another 3.5 to 4 years time. The next Land Cruiser has been frozen by now, meaning the Land Cruiser facelift possibly hints at its design. Much thinner headlights the 300-Series will have and like new refresh, flush taillights.

Wow, I LOVE it! Yes it's not a complete redesign, but it's a MAJOR refresh. They nailed a delicate balance for the exterior and interior styling. It still looks tough, big, brash, and capable but now it also looks a lot more expensive and premium.

The biggest stunner is that interior. Absolutely incredible interior! Look at those HUGE swaths of wood and leather all around the interior. Also that huge, curved swath of leather on the door panel, that looks amazing! It looks like soft-touch materials and leather top-to-bottom in the interior almost. The interior is a huge upgrade from the current one. The cherry on top is the massive navigation screen. Overall just superb interior execution. Everything from the layout, to the steering wheel design, to the material choices looks superb, just like the new RX and NX interiors.

If there are any powertrain upgrades as well, that would be just a perfect refresh.

If this is a hint at the next LS interior, I am absolutely salivating! I'm as giddy as a kid at Christmas to see the next LS now :D.

This is nice to me as well, but I hope the LS takes it much further than that. According to one source and also rayaans, some people have seen the 5LS up close and it's a definite S-Class competitor. This is befitting for the LX, but naturally the LS will surpass it I hope.

We have learned that these were the photos shown to Lexus personnel in the fall of 2014 (thank you LexusTechSA), meaning an actual pre-production build will be a better representation than this early prototype. These level of changes would've been in development probably since the last LX facelift in 2012 and design approval before the end of 2013. Prototypes were first built in 2014. That is practically 2 years of production development (late 2013-2015), which surpasses the average 12-18 months for a facelift.

Great point RAL :)!
The D-pillar definitely matches very well with the spindle grille.
A very worthy and exceptionally executed refresh this is. As the flagship Lexus SUV, the LX needed no less than this. To most of the general public, this will look like a redesign.

That's good and bad for me. This is much more substantial than the secondary facelift LS was in 2012, at hiding its roots from the overall design presented in 2005-06. The problem is for me, how will this affect Range Rover sales :D?

I hope they make it a lot more angular to match the rest of the vehicle. They need to add sharp edges to compliment the new headlights and taillights.

The design of the 2016 LX has probably been frozen/finalised since the end of 2013, so that is the final article until about 2019. They've probably hundred millions of dollars on this, so at this stage they are not doing anything on that front for a long time.

4.0 TT V8 under the hood would be soo perfect!

The next LS or LC coupe will likely debut a twin-turbo V8, but the LX does get new power train choices (depending on sales region) and improvements (LX450d). There have been no trademarks for a Lexus LX400t nor LX500t (if twin-turbo equals 4.0 litre+1.0=500t).

Love it! Quite extensive for a facelift. The rear taillights do give the rear fascia a bit of a... Sienna look. :p

Any chance the all-new model will come out within two years? Hehe

It is very extensive, meaning the LX might be discontinued in the future (2020s) or redesigned in 2019. Knowing roughly how much certain changes to a model cost a company, this was at least $250 million at the very most minimum, if not close to $1 billion USD on the high end (if including Land Cruiser as well).
This is extremely exciting! A diesel option will be a welcome addition to the line-up.

Yes, an LX450d is coming. Maybe not to Japan, but definitely other regions and not the U.S. market.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Like the new front end, and it seems slighter better than the RX, only because it has a bigger frontal area to use. very sleek, elegant, and hi-tech look. Silver is a very flattering color for the big guy. And the interior looks ready to get back to best-in-class style and materials. Will need about a 10% power upgrade to keep up with Escalade.

Well played, Gentlemen!
BD

Yes, there will be an improvement in the LX570 power train apparently. As per UZJ100GXR (thank you for the photos):
CaKsah.jpg

Tn3W8Q.jpg

cF5ajU.jpg

The 200-Series improvements:
-The 4.0 litre V6 (1GR-FE will receive a 6 speed auto over the current 5 speed auto.
-4.6 litre V8 (1UR-FE) gets an 8 speed automatic.
-5.7 litre V8 (3UR-FE) gets an 8 speed automatic over 6 speed auto as well and 12 horsepower increase on an Atkinson cycle (thank you spwolf)

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
We are in agreement Carmaker1 :).

I too feel confident that the new LS will surpass this interior. My point was more about the fact that the LX has now received "the LS of interiors" for Lexus SUVs. It needed no less than that, and I think you'd agree. The flagship Lexus SUV now has, as in past generations, a truly flagship-level interior.

Reactions
Excellent redesign, I'm really loving the interior, another win for Lexus and yes we all see the LS influence here, but that's a good thing,. I'm not feeling the wheels that much, other than that, it's a hit!!