Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
giphy.gif

This could actually be a very (good!) big deal.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
LC chief engineer Koji Sato was been promoted to Lexus International president in an executive shakeup at the brand’s highest level.
Sato replaces Yoshihiro Sawa, who served as Lexus president since 2017. Sawa will remain with the company as a chief engineer.
Sato is best known as the chief engineer of the LC sports coupe and for his work developing the GA-L platform for rear-wheel drive Lexus vehicles, including the LS sedan. The appointment goes into effect on January 1st, 2020.

Continue reading...

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
On a practical level, I have to think this is probably a win for people who want a sportier Lexus and lots of F vehicles. And probably the end of the line for people who want 3LS wafting-on-a-cloud Lexus. But it'll probably be 2-3 years before we know what direction things are actually going.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Thinking through how long product planning cycles run... not sure we can blame Sawa for much (that we've already seen or experienced).

Sato strikes me as passionate - that's what I am most excited about. And the guy who developed GA-L will probably want to get more use out of it, I'd imagine.

Will1991

Reactions
On a practical level, I have to think this is probably a win for people who want a sportier Lexus and lots of F vehicles. And probably the end of the line for people who want 3LS wafting-on-a-cloud Lexus. But it'll probably be 2-3 years before we know what direction things are actually going.

Hopefully it’s going to be different...

Instead of making only one car to fit all (ES) they will make a proper luxury (LS/ES) and a proper sports sedan (GS/IS).

If he managed to get GA-L and LC, clearly he likes the good stuff : )

Horus468

Fan
Reactions
Hopefully it’s going to be different...

Instead of making only one car to fit all (ES) they will make a proper luxury (LS/ES) and a proper sports sedan (GS/IS).

If he managed to get GA-L and LC, clearly he likes the good stuff : )

It’ll hurt, but it would be cool if they killed the IS/GS and replaced it with a “RS” (to align with the RC)
This would be their sport sedan while the ES can grow even more luxurious.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
^ Isn't the RC about the same size as the IS? I'm good with smaller sport sedans but it may alienate people here that want bigger ones for personal reasons.

So do what Acura did with TL and the TSX?

Reactions

chief engineer of the LC project.

OMG HOLY SH*T YESSSSS THIS MADE ME SO HAPPY!! I really hope these are signs of good things to come.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Changing the president today will only affect things ten years from now, so I am not keeping optimism up...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I think it's time for a designer (non engineer) to be in the top executive group.

President before Sawa was a designer, it brought the current focus on lifestyle and form over function. Not to be a jerk, but the last thing Lexus needs is a designer in charge -- we need new engines and the brand to take advantage of the GA-L platform.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
President before Sawa was a designer, it brought the current focus on lifestyle and form over function. Not to be a jerk, but the last thing Lexus needs is a designer in charge -- we need new engines and the brand to take advantage of the GA-L platform.

Exactly what I was going to say.

RAL

Reactions
Candid is good, but you a jerk??? ... absolutely not!