Convertible LC 2020 as in can buy in 2020 as 2021 MY or can buy 2019 as 2020 MY

Im so tempted to wait...

And no word on LS+?

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
For starters, LQ won't be based on LX.
Where did you hear this?
LX should remain body-on-frame and truck-based and among the first vehicles on the TNGA-F architecture. LQ, on the other hand, is expected to be a car-based unibody crossover, most likely on the LS and LC's GA-L architecture, if the LF-1 Limitless concept's proportions are anything to go by.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
I've said this before, but the logistics of using the B58 in a TNGA-L / N platform just doesn't seem to make sense to me. The engine is made somewhere far away from Japan (Germany? Austria?) and would have to be shipped in, which seems contrary to the Toyota Production System which has an emphasis on JIT inventory and local suppliers. Is Lexus going to open a new local facility to make the B58 solely for the IS? This seems extremely unlikely.

On top of this hurdle, I'm pretty sure that TNGA was designed to work optimally with other TNGA components, which is why the transmissions and engines are all lumped under the framework. A long inline 6 engine, made by a different manufacturer for a different architecture, doesn't sound like something that would slot right into this framework.

From what I can tell, TNGA is designed to help reduce design choices at every step of the way - pick a wheelbase, ride height, etc and the choices get narrowed down more and more. At every step of the way, you know that a certain level of testing and validation has already been done, and you won't end up with something that is totally unfeasible, or sacrifices too much of a feature (ie. interior space, NVH, etc). Where does the B58 figure into this? It's not a TNGA-designed component, I'm not so sure you can just slap it in, hook it up to the transmission and call it a day.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If they're developing a 3.0 v6tt, why would they use the BMW i6 in the IS? That just doesn't compute.

their thinking is likely that they will start using BMW 3.0l turbo in some cars and on others use TMC's 3.5tt.... which makes no sense at all and makes me want to discredit everything they have written.

And why would LC convertible be lighter?

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
That's exactly why I don't believe a second of the thing about developing their own I6. I guess it's possible the Supra's being used to test the market for a new I6, but it's all very confusing.

I'm thinking in this line also. New supra with inline six, Mazda building a new inline six, lexus ISt with inline 4. I wont be surprise if there is an inline six some where in toyota's basement being worked on.