Jeremy Clarkson Reviews the Lexus GS F

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
an ISF would make no sense at this point. Performance wise, the GSF is what the ISF should have been. do we really need a 3rd "467 V8 sub 5sec performance vehicle" in the F lineup? unless Lexus makes the ISF a Turbo 6 or something, itll just be another rehash of the GSF and RCF

I disagree. The IS F was the pioneer for Lexus, the first F model. A second-gen IS F... that's what the RC F should have been. In other words, Lexus should have delivered a 2nd-gen IS F, before considering an RC F. Due to this and a few other reasons, RC F sales are under-performing, the hype just isn't there, and it's a bit of an awkward model, even though I personally like many things about it. Lexus disappointed myself (as well as many other fans) by releasing an RC F instead of a new IS F. Still no IS F in sight for the future.

I get what you're saying about the GS F, but the fact of the matter is, the GS F is first of all too expensive for many people, and some prefer the more nimble dimensions of the IS. I'm a huge GS fan, but I personally cannot see myself getting a GS F, as it is priced too high. Maybe if I ever become rich, otherwise no.

Agreeing with you @SteVVT-i . I think that having the 5.0 V8 in the GS F already would prevent them from putting it in a potential IS F just because they wouldn't want to step on the big-brother GS F sales. However, I think an IS F would be really valuable to add to the lineup because like you said @CIF, the IS F was a pioneer F model for Lexus, and it would be nice to see an F car in a smaller package like the IS.

I think that a 2nd generation IS F should have utilized the existing V8 and then the GS F should have gained something with more power. I don't think any more power is actually useful, especially since I would assume most people buying the GS F are not going to track it and a sub 5 second 0-60 time in a midsize luxury sedan is more than quick enough, but with the competition pushing 550+ hp it would be helpful for the GS F to do the same.

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
I have to say that the IS F Sports are the best looking compact sports sedans, and the best looking Lexus sedans, in my eyes. The portion is just right, and lines are flowing beautifully. It is a feat for small cars.

However, I feel that Lexus intentionally made it less refined and skimp on some details (try not to steal too many sales from its bigger brothers?). And, I don't think that there will be a IS-F for this gen.
The IS looks decent enough but the front could use some tweaking, mainly the headlightd and grille.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
I really like the GS but why is it not selling like it should? It has so much going for it refined and lovely to,look at. Something wrong?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I really like the GS but why is it not selling like it should? It has so much going for it refined and lovely to,look at. Something wrong?

Part of it is definitely that people are not buying sedans right now -- the 5-series was down 23% in February, E-Class sales are pretty much flat. It's not just a GS issue.

Reactions: CIF

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Part of it is definitely that people are not buying sedans right now -- the 5-series was down 23% in February, E-Class sales are pretty much flat. It's not just a GS issue.
But still, I see way more E-Classes than GS and ES compared here in Mississauga.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
an ISF would make no sense at this point. Performance wise, the GSF is what the ISF should have been. do we really need a 3rd "467 V8 sub 5sec performance vehicle" in the F lineup? unless Lexus makes the ISF a Turbo 6 or something, itll just be another rehash of the GSF and RCF
I disagree. The IS F was the pioneer for Lexus, the first F model. A second-gen IS F... that's what the RC F should have been. In other words, Lexus should have delivered a 2nd-gen IS F, before considering an RC F. Due to this and a few other reasons, RC F sales are under-performing, the hype just isn't there, and it's a bit of an awkward model, even though I personally like many things about it. Lexus disappointed myself (as well as many other fans) by releasing an RC F instead of a new IS F. Still no IS F in sight for the future.

I get what you're saying about the GS F, but the fact of the matter is, the GS F is first of all too expensive for many people, and some prefer the more nimble dimensions of the IS. I'm a huge GS fan, but I personally cannot see myself getting a GS F, as it is priced too high. Maybe if I ever become rich, otherwise no.
I agree with CIF. The IS F was the original F car, and it would be the most popular one too, since it is cheaper and also competing with the M3, which is the Flagship M car. But before the IS F goes into production, they should give the GS F more power like the M5 has more than the M3, or the IS F could possibly steal 100% of the sales because it will be cheaper, faster, and (for some) better looking

mikeavelli

Reactions

For the record the GS barely missed its 24k sales goal the first year and I believe has stayed very consistent the last 3-4 years with minimal drop off. It's not Lexus volume sedan.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The ES is a much cheaper option in the same segment. Most families aren't worried about performance and looks and luxury, but more about budget. But the GS is more of an enthusiast car.

Reactions
For past 20 years or so, the GS /IS never ruled its segment like ES/RX have been doing, not even like LS achieved.
But, GS/ IS are solid players, running 3rd-4th in the competition perennially. I think that Lexus are glad to see what they get.

Every manufacture should play its own game, Lexus knows its trounced cards and plays them pretty well.

Now, Lexus just needs to spend more resource on the high-end unibody SUV/crossover, which is the trend to go!

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
The ES is a much cheaper option in the same segment. Most families aren't worried about performance and looks and luxury, but more about budget. But the GS is more of an enthusiast car.
I believe you're right - the ES steals much of the GS' sales.

bnizzle87

Fan
Reactions
I agree with CIF. The IS F was the original F car, and it would be the most popular one too, since it is cheaper and also competing with the M3, which is the Flagship M car. But before the IS F goes into production, they should give the GS F more power like the M5 has more than the M3, or the IS F could possibly steal 100% of the sales because it will be cheaper, faster, and (for some) better looking

As much as I love what Lexus is doing by continuing the heritage of the F Performance line with the RC F and GS F, both merged together, in my opinion, should have been the 2nd gen IS F. Yes, Yaguchi-san wasn't preaching a horsepower war with the Germans, but in my dialogue with salespeople, friends, colleagues in various areas of the automotive industry, it is apparent that the best bang for your buck will be one with the most stock horsepower and can pretty much be a trophy in the eyes of his/her peers. The GS F handles quite nicely, even better than the RC F in my estimation. I don't read or hear as much praise for the newer Fs than I did with the IS F. Maybe this will change, but for the IS F to undergo numerous changes each year to be not only competitive but also truly challenging its rivals for best in class, it shows the dedication Yaguchi-san and Lexus had in making a great example for the first F performance model in its history, the one I'm truly proud to own myself.

That being said, the GS F is a more refined vehicle than my IS F. Good and bad, I guess. But truth be told, size, weight, and horsepower aren't as competitive for GS F to its rivals (M5, E63 AMG, CTS-V) in comparison to when the IS F was launched (M3, C63AMG). Looks can only go so far, and I would gladly choose the GS F over the competition, but knowing it's underwhelming in the performance category, a category that deems itself belonging simply with that F (not F sport), it should have been more competitive and powerful- not spec for spec the same as the 2 door variant in the RC F.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

it makes sense if IS makes sense vs GS... and of course it does. It is smaller and cheaper.

As to the review, great reviews for GS-F.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
I too has had a brief encounter with the RC F, do not like anything about it. So happy the GS F nailed it in almost every aspect. Updated looks still tear Lexus lovers apart but its a damn good machine imo.

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
I too has had a brief encounter with the RC F, do not like anything about it.

I am very curious to learn what you didn't like specifically on the RC F. Do you have any comparison material? I suppose your brief encounter indeed was too brief to fully appreciate the RC F. It is a great machine. Telling the opposite can only mean one thing: you are a true race champion and you're spending most of your time on the racetrack with a 911 GT3 RS...

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
I am very curious to learn what you didn't like specifically on the RC F. Do you have any comparison material? I suppose your brief encounter indeed was too brief to fully appreciate the RC F. It is a great machine. Telling the opposite can only mean one thing: you are a true race champion and you're spending most of your time on the racetrack with a 911 GT3 RS...

Engine noise that filters through the cabin is intoxicating. Friend wished they had waited instead for the GS F. After a several go's & meet ups I just got influenced by the owner. He doesn't like it much & agree with him too.
It is a great machine I don't doubt you. If you own one. Good for you. Its a nice piece of kit. Telling the opposite can only mean several things. I prefer other Lexus models better. Yes, I do not like it. Subjective imo. That's it. I had a go in the older GT3, that is bonkers!. I wish I can have the new GT3 RS though =(.

Reactions: Joe

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Engine noise that filters through the cabin is intoxicating. Friend wished they had waited instead for the GS F. After a several go's & meet ups I just got influenced by the owner. He doesn't like it much & agree with him too.
It is a great machine I don't doubt you. If you own one. Good for you. Its a nice piece of kit. Telling the opposite can only mean several things. I prefer other Lexus models better. Yes, I do not like it. Subjective imo. That's it. I had a go in the older GT3, that is bonkers!. I wish I can have the new GT3 RS though =(.
If 'intoxicating' means 'addictive', then I can assure you the following: the GS F is 'worse' :cool:;)