J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Auto Avoider Study

mikeavelli

Reactions
Whats interesting is the #1 reason people avoid a vehicle is exterior styling but that really shows how subjective that is since there are a lot of ugly cars that sell lol.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-us-auto-avoider-study

Consumers Likely Reacting to Negative Publicity about Recalls and Tech Failures

Detroit, MI.: 14 January 2016 — For the first time in nearly a decade, concerns about reliability have increased as a reason shoppers avoid certain models, according to the J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Auto Avoider StudySM released today.

The study, now in its 13th year, examines the reasons consumers purchase, reject and avoid models in the marketplace when shopping for a new vehicle. The 2016 study measures shopping behavior among new-vehicle buyers who purchased during 2015.

Vehicle reliability has become a top consideration in deciding which vehicle to buy. This year, 55% of new-vehicle buyers cite reliability as a leading purchase reason—the third-most frequently cited reason after exterior and interior styling—vs. 51% in the 2015 study. Notably, as recently as 2013, vehicle reliability was mentioned by just 48% of new-vehicle buyers as a reason for purchasing. Reliability has also become a greater reason shoppers do not consider―or avoid―other models (17% in 2016 vs. 14% last year).

“Though vehicle reliability and durability have improved significantly over the years, they remain a vital consideration for consumers,” said Dave Sargent, vice president, quality practice, J.D. Power. “With so many auto recalls in the news and challenges with the introduction of new technology, consumers are even more attuned to the expected reliability of new vehicles. This impacts which models consumers avoid and which ones they ultimately purchase. Bad news can tarnish an automaker’s reputation in an instant, yet, can take years to build back up. Automakers need to convince consumers of the true reliability of their vehicles so it is not a reason to avoid selecting a particular model.”

According to Sargent, “concerns with vehicle reliability can also have a ripple effect on other aspects of vehicle consideration and ownership.” Study findings show that buyers who avoid models for reliability reasons tend to also have concerns regarding resale value, cost of maintenance and even safety.

As gas prices remain low, fuel economy has become a less frequently cited reason consumers select their new vehicle (51% vs. 55% last year). In fact, gas mileage has reached a five-year low as a reason to purchase a specific model. It is also cited less frequently as a reason to reject other models that were considered.

More than half (54%) of new-vehicle owners who replaced a vehicle buy the same brand or a brand within the same corporation, while 46% bought a vehicle from a different corporation entirely. Both premium and non-premium brand replacers say the top reason for not repurchasing the same brand is they “simply wanted to try something different.”

“This is a major challenge for auto marketers,” said Sargent. “In the auto industry, building consumer trust, loyalty and advocacy is paramount to ongoing success. However, there are so many great vehicles available

to consumers that merely satisfying your customers is simply the cost of entry. To truly succeed, automakers must keep their exterior and interior designs fresh, ensure competitive performance and fuel economy levels, offer an array of advanced technology and achieve an excellent reputation for vehicle reliability.”

Following are some of the key findings of the 2016 study:
  • ŸTop Reasons Shoppers Buy/Avoid a Vehicle: Exterior styling is the top reason shoppers buy a particular model (59%). It is also the top reason to avoid a particular vehicle (31%), followed by the vehicle costs too much and interior styling (18% each).
  • ŸPerception of Reliability Weighs Heavily on Purchase Decision: Despite industry-wide efforts to improve reliability, the fact that reliability emerges as a key driver of purchase and avoidance underscores the importance of customer sentiment and perception in an environment of highly publicized recalls.
  • ŸCar Buyers Doing Less Window Shopping: Since 2012, new-vehicle buyers are considering fewer models and shopping fewer dealers. On average, buyers physically shop only three models, one of which they buy.
  • Domestic Brands vs. European and Asian Brands: There remains a significant disconnect between perception and reality regarding the reliability of domestic brands compared with European and Asian brands. Avoidance of domestic models due to reliability concerns (24%) is nearly twice that of European (13%) and Asian (12%) models. In reality, the actual reliability of most domestic models is competitive with that of their import competitors.
The 2016 U.S. Auto Avoider Study is based on responses from nearly 26,500 owners who registered a new vehicle in April and May 2015. The study was fielded between July and September 2015.

- See more at: http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-us-auto-avoider-study#sthash.H5dw373k.dpuf

Reactions
I still think the refresh for the 4Runner was ugly, but for some reason, I want one.
2015_toyota_4runner_trd_pro_4wd-pic-5956483867780307738-1600x1200.jpeg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
In reality, the actual reliability of most domestic models is competitive with that of their import competitors.

That is only partially true. First, that is generally not the case with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep-branded vehicles, and, second, with most Ford and GM vehicles, their new-found reliability has only come in the last several years. Consumer Reports, in particular, has done a good job tracking auto reliability through the years.

However, even today's Chrysler vehicles are noticeably better than they were before the buyout/reorganization in 2008-2009. The ones built back then, IMO, really left a lot to be desired.

Bad news can tarnish an automaker’s reputation in an instant, yet, can take years to build back up.

I see people even today who refuse to buy, or even look, at certain brands because of their conceptions of past-images or bad experiences. For example, one of our condo-board members recently asked me my opinion on the vehicles that give you the most for one's money, and what I'd recommend as a new-car purchase. When I mentioned Kia and Hyundai (among a few other brands), she immediately reacted negatively, and said she wouldn't even look at a Kia, even though they have not built what I would call junk for the better part of 15 years.....since the early 2000s

As gas prices remain low, fuel economy has become a less frequently cited reason consumers select their new vehicle (51% vs. 55% last year). In fact, gas mileage has reached a five-year low as a reason to purchase a specific model. It is also cited less frequently as a reason to reject other models that were considered.
While it is true that oil and gas prices are quite low right now (thanks to a cutback in the formerly huge Chinese demand and in increase in exploration/drilling/refining here in the U.S.), the current low prices are misleading in the long run. These low prices, while currently stimulating the sales of trucks and large SUVs, mask a larger, more important issue....that the world itself only has a finite supply of crude and/or oil-producing substances like shale and oil tar. Eventually, like it or not, whether oil is cheap or expensive, we're going to have to convert, either partly or totally, to other sources of fuel for our vehicles.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes styling is extremely subjective. However there is a large percentage gap between those who chose styling as a top reason to buy a vehicle, compared to those who chose styling as the top reason to avoid buying a vehicle.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Why yes, I've conducted my own scientific survey dodging arrogant, homicidal maniacs in German based automobiles throughout South Florida. I call it the "Sphincter Factor". As in certain German brands attract certain types of drivers in particular, and so I avoid those brands at all costs when shopping.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Bulldog: I had similar experiences when I lived in Orlando, although it paled in comparison to dodging tourists. The German-drivers up here in Baltimore are a bit more chill, thankfully.