Issues with ClubLexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Sakura said:
Has anyone ran across these issues within the ClubLexus community? Or is it just me?

I have extensive experience in both CL and LE.

One reason why CL's Car Chat section doesn't focus more on Lexus products is simply its enormous size, and the fact that so many of its members (some of who also post here in LE), as you noted, drive a wide range of vehicles. Like our own "Garage" forum here in LE, their "Car Chat" has become essentially their encyclopedia of general automotive-talk, which includes all vehicles, Lexus as well. The big difference, though, between their Car Chat and our Garage Forum is that they have such a large number of members and posters that a topic, once posted, gets answered (and expounded upon) almost immediately....here, sometimes it will sit for a while without a response. That's not necessarily a difference in style, but simply more of numbers.

As for them "bashing" Lexus, I'd say there are some who feel that Lexus quality has gone downhill in the last 10-15 years....others who disagree. Some, of course, like the Lexus spindle-grilles , and others don't. You will probably find that, to an extent, in any forum....not just CL or Car Chat.

The biggest single difference between CL and LE, IMO, besides the sheer number of members, has little to do with actual car-talk.......it is that they have a contentious Debate Forum that gets into almost everything political. So, naturally, you are going to have sharply-differing (and sometimes heated) opinions between Liberals/Conservatives, Democrats/Republicans, Americans/Europeans, Christians/Non-Christians, etc.. That's the forum where the CL moderators really have their work cut out for them, trying to keep at least some semblance of order, civility, and respect in the posting. Election seasons, of course, are always contentious, as are controversial issues like the recent fight over the Kavanaugh nomination. This forum (LE) perhaps wisely, has avoided having a section similar to their Debate section, so that alone probably dodges at least one bullet.

Last edited:

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Someone mentioned Bimmerpost before. While it's a great community to find out about tidbits of certain BMW models its not so great when it comes to discussion about the cars. It goes in flames as soon as someone brings in another car into the discussion, except Porsche maybe, and everyone turns into a choir of yesmen to defend BMW.

Sakura

Fan
Reactions

One reason why CL's Car Chat section doesn't focus more on Lexus products is simply its enormous size, and the fact that so many of its members (some of who also post here in LE), as you noted, drive a wide range of vehicles. Like our own "Garage" forum here in LE, their "Car Chat" has become essentially their encyclopedia of general automotive-talk, which includes all vehicles, Lexus as well. The big difference, though, between their Car Chat and our Garage Forum is that they have such a large number of members and posters that a topic, once posted, gets answered (and expounded upon) almost immediately....here, sometimes it will sit for a while without a response. That's not necessarily a difference in style, but simply more of numbers.

As for them "bashing" Lexus, I'd say there are some who feel that Lexus quality has gone downhill in the last 10-15 years....others who disagree. Some, of course, like the Lexus spindle-grilles , and others don't. You will probably find that, to an extent, in any forum....not just CL or Car Chat.

The biggest single difference between CL and LE, IMO, besides the sheer number of members, has little to do with actual car-talk.......it is that they have a contentious Debate Forum that gets into almost everything political. So, naturally, you are going to have sharply-differing (and sometimes heated) opinions between Liberals/Conservatives, Democrats/Republicans, Americans/Europeans, Christians/Non-Christians, etc.. That's the forum where the CL moderators really have their work cut out for them, trying to keep at least some semblance of order, civility, and respect in the posting. Election seasons, of course, are always contentious, as are controversial issues like the recent fight over the Kavanaugh nomination. This forum (LE) perhaps wisely, has avoided having a section similar to their Debate section, so that alone probably dodges at least one bullet.

Its not really the numbers. Its the post quality in my opinion. Quality over quantity.

The quality of the post on Club Lexus is just horrible and toxic. Its literally a bash fest over there, if you stay long enough. What's worst is that some mods promote this type of behavior. And some mods play favoritism too. I have seen sections where someone was threaten with an infraction by a mod for defending themselves from a personal attack. However - the personal attacker never got threaten with an infraction.

I have seen comments where people rave about the new Genesis, Kia Stinger, and etc... while at the same time talking down and massive garbage on the 2019 Lexus ES.
I don't understand it. These folks don't own a Lexus ES or any Lexus - probably haven't even drive the 2019 ES yet either. But yet, they are all on the car-chat forum for the Lexus ES bashing it.

I think a lot of it has to do with confirmation bias. They need to put down Lexus to feel like their car is better than a Lexus. Also - some people moved on from Lexus and they feel the need to bash Lexus to make themselves feel better about leaving Lexus.

Someone mentioned Bimmerpost before. While it's a great community to find out about tidbits of certain BMW models its not so great when it comes to discussion about the cars. It goes in flames as soon as someone brings in another car into the discussion, except Porsche maybe, and everyone turns into a choir of yesmen to defend BMW.

Yes. Bimmerpost is a yes-man forum for BMW cars. Its overly positive towards BMW while negative towards everything else. This is not surprising because its a BMW forum.
Speaking of BMW posters. There is a BMW owner on CL that post only positive things about BMW and negative things about Lexus. He's already claiming BMW M340i will be an extremely fast car, going to be the best, and how it'll be faster than 3.5 seconds 0-60 (faster than the F30 M3). This is the stuff that goes on in CL.

Its just super ironic, when a forum like Club Lexus (which is a Lexus forum), where majority of the post is bashing Lexus.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Also regarding certain members on CL posting suspicious overly high praise for non-Lexus brands and Lexus competitors over the years, well there is so much information behind that as well, but this is information I would rather not post publicly.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

It is really not a normal behaviour to go to Lexus forum and ask for a suggestion between Lexus and a KIA, and for many users to recommend a vehicle other than Lexus.

Thing is that most mods are not Lexus owners anymore so it is really not a Lexus community in car chat anymore.

For instance when you go to bimmerpost and ask about some BMW model, maybe 10% of users will recommend something else.

Also some users are complaining about everything on a new Lexus vehicle, and then when some other brand is being shown then it is all about praising it.

I think Car Chat is way more positive about any BMW and any Audi than BMW and Audi owner forums.

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
It is really not a normal behaviour to go to Lexus forum and ask for a suggestion between Lexus and a KIA, and for many users to recommend a vehicle other than Lexus.

Thing is that most mods are not Lexus owners anymore so it is really not a Lexus community in car chat anymore.

For instance when you go to bimmerpost and ask about some BMW model, maybe 10% of users will recommend something else.

Also some users are complaining about everything on a new Lexus vehicle, and then when some other brand is being shown then it is all about praising it.

I think Car Chat is way more positive about any BMW and any Audi than BMW and Audi owner forums.

Are you referencing the thread about the Possible Stinger replacement for one of the CL members? I'll have to agree with you on that one. Its quite strange that someone would ask for recommendations and suggestions about the Stinger on a Car Chat forum on a Lexus forum. The fact that quite a bit of people are posting how good the Stinger is and how its better than Lexus and other premium brands on a Lexus forum is a scary thought.

I just checked out the thread a minute ago. There is a senior mod that posted and hes a Stinger owner. Why are you a senior mod of a Lexus forum while being a Stinger owner? That's just strange. He should head over to the Stinger forums and be a mod.
It also baffles me that he claims the Stinger has better build quality and materials than Lexus. This is where some of the confirmation bias and biases come into play in Car Chat. He obviously love his Stinger but he is also playing into confirmation bias to make himself feel good that his Stinger is better than the vehicle he left (Lexus).
Note: I do like the Stinger - I think is a good driver's car and performance car. However - build quality and material is no where near as good as Lexus. Think about it - the Stinger GT competes with cars that are in the 60K plus performance range while costing 49-50K. There is cost cutting and that comes from materials.

For sure - the car chat community in Club Lexus is not a Lexus community. If anything, its an anything other than Lexus car chat community. No one recommends Lexus in Club Lexus and that's a scary thought. Might as well change the name to Club Anti-Lexus. : unamused:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Are you referencing the thread about the Possible Stinger replacement for one of the CL members?

nah, that is perfectly legit... there was a thread about someone asking about RX and bunch of people recommended him everything but RX.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

CL's Car Chat is not intended to be mostly Lexus talk. If it was, it would be Lexus Chat, not Car Chat.......and CL, just like here at LE, has a number of sub-forums for specific Lexus vehicles and vehicle-lines. Their Car Chat is more or less similar to our Garage Forum...except with (currently) a lot more members, that's all.

Kia and Hyundai, I might add, also make some very respectable products today. This is not the 1990s any more. I've been impressed with almost everything the Koreans introduce today...they have a solid, carved-from-granite feel in their materials that is missing from too many other vehicles today. That is not to denigrate Lexus (which I'm not doing)...but simply to give the Koreans credit where it is due. For instance, I drive a Lacrosse because I like the way that it drives, rides, seats, and the comfort it gives.....but I'll be the first one to admit that it is not built as solidly as, say, a Kia Cadenza or a Genesis G80. Neither is the Lincoln MKZ, which I also like.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
CL's Car Chat is not intended to be mostly Lexus talk. If it was, it would be Lexus Chat, not Car Chat.......and CL, just like here at LE, has a number of sub-forums for specific Lexus vehicles and vehicle-lines. Their Car Chat is more or less similar to our Garage Forum...except with (currently) a lot more members, that's all.

i understand quite well what it should be - but it is not a common for brand forum users to actually never recommend that brand.

Check recommendation threads on Bimmerpost... or on Toyota Nation.

Sakura

Fan
Reactions

Kia and Hyundai, I might add, also make some very respectable products today. This is not the 1990s any more. I've been impressed with almost everything the Koreans introduce today...they have a solid, carved-from-granite feel in their materials that is missing from too many other vehicles today. That is not to denigrate Lexus (which I'm not doing)...but simply to give the Koreans credit where it is due. For instance, I drive a Lacrosse because I like the way that it drives, rides, seats, and the comfort it gives.....but I'll be the first one to admit that it is not built as solidly as, say, a Kia Cadenza or a Genesis G80. Neither is the Lincoln MKZ, which I also like.

Understood and we all know that the CL car chat is similar to the LE garage forum. Its suppose to be a "chat about cars in general" type of forum. However - if you stay in car chat long enough, its not really a "chat about cars in general" forum. Its more of "anything but Lexus" forum.

You have tons, tons, tons of mods and members on car chat that don't a Lexus or never owned one. You have people spewing how great the Germans are while hating on Lexus at the same time on car chat. A good example is the new 2019 Lexus ES threads. Majority of CL members bash it. Majority of them never owned a Lexus or have moved on from Lexus. How can you bash a car that you haven't driven?

I think CL to improve, it needs to start from the top. Mods should be Lexus owners. Its just weird, to me, that a mod or a senior mod can be a non-Lexus owner and even a Lexus-hater. :sweat:

i understand quite well what it should be - but it is not a common for brand forum users to actually never recommend that brand.

Check recommendation threads on Bimmerpost... or on Toyota Nation.

This. +1

Reactions
In my opinion, everything is running fine.
I am on many forums.
I am on Benz forums with various usernames that I can't remember.
I actually joined both LE and CL many many years ago, but I cannot remember the original email addresses used, nor the usernames and passwords.

I don't believe in forcing/coercing consumers to stick to one particular automotive marque, because this would result in "tunnel vision" and a very narrow perspective of life, due to very limited experience.

I believe in "freedom" of choice.
This gives both the moderator and forum member a wider perspective and greater experience of ownership in the automotive world.

While certain posters on CL can bash Lexus while promoting the competition and not even own a Lexus - at the other extreme, one could also say that there are also certain posters and even one particular European-based poster who is on both CL & LE, who has an extraordinary bias towards Toyota products, to an extent where Toyota products can do no wrong.

Bias works both ways.
There will always be personal differences in opinions.

I think both CL and LE are both doing fine.
That's my two cents...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Ok, this conversation has reached a logical end. Time to move on, everyone. Different strokes, different folks, and all that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.