Lexus IS F ISF "Fake" Exhaust

phm14

Fan
Reactions
I recently viewed a YT review of the RCF, and someone parroted Jeremy Clarkson's famous comment that the ISF "exhaust is fake", something to the effect: "the ISF exaust is fake, and that's just wrong". See my reply:
I'm sick of hearing nimrods parrot that boob Clarkson that the ISF exhaust is "fake". I own one, and the 4 exhaust ports in the rear exactly match up to the 4 muffler outlets, that is, each of the bumper cover exhaust tips are exactly where the exhaust leaves the car. There is a small gap between the muffler and the tips, so that perfect visual alignment is maintained when viewing the car from the rear, but heat and vibration are not transmitted to the bumper cover. I call that innovative design, not "fake". Clarkson recently eviscerated the RCF on Top Queer, sandbagged it in a drag race against a M4, then refused to put it on the track for the usual timed lap with the Stig driving. Not sure why, but it seems obvious he has an ax to grind with Lexus. It's unfortunate that the uninformed parrot his drivel.
Rant complete.

bnizzle87

Fan
Reactions
The quad tips aren't fake. They are functional. I will gladly take a "fake" exhaust tip over the lame Active Sound technology, which I'm still a bit bummed Lexus decided to employ something similar when that exhaust sound is so powerful and beautiful to the ears as is.

When I watched the TG episode regarding his perspective on the RC F, I was expecting a more neutral perspective, but there was some outright bashing. But then again, I honestly doubt people purchase their vehicles solely on a TV personality's opinion.

phm14

Fan
Reactions
I wasn't expecting neutral, but I was surprised he wouldn't even give the Stig some hot laps. If anyone can find the original Top Gear Clarkson ISF test drive, please post it here. He lambastes Lexus for the 8 speed gear box, which is kind of funny now, given how popular they've become since 2008. Calling the exhaust tips "fake" further exposes his prejudice against the car. I wonder why he's out to hurt Lexus sales so badly. He lauded the LFA, but that's not really a production car. Makes me think perhaps Lexus didn't kiss his butt hard enough, and/or BMW does to the point that he's motivated to attack one of their serious competitors. Here's his recent RCF fake test:

bnizzle87

Fan
Reactions
My personal thought....what if Stig did take on both the RC F and M4 on a track layout...and the RC F won? That isn't a stretch, given that in other reported track runs, they were only separated by less than 0.3 of a second. Yaguchi-san said he wanted his RC F creation to be "enjoyed by all enthusiasts." The thrill isn't in beating an opponent (unlike a drag race), although it was a bit unfair for Clarkson to not even give the RC F an opportunity to be tested on the Top Gear track, but rather to enjoy the drive. Plus, I would hope Lexus didn't schmooze its way to getting the RC F any publicity. The result does speak for itself. Lexus did produce a great product in the RC F to compete against a powerful M4, and compete well it does.

Reactions
Regarding the "fake exhaust", he actually says, "... and those tail pipes, are fakes..." You can watch the Jeremy Clarkson review of the IS F here: http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/9971522001 (BMW M3 vs Lexus IS-F (Series 12, Episode 5)). His comment comes in around 5:58.

Funny how driving the IS F, he's able to keep up with the M3 being driven by a pro driver, applauds the Lexus' value, then disses it in the end because he doesn't like its styling. From watching the video, the IS F is just as much car, more tech for the money and comes standard with Lexus reliability, for FREE.

If you watch the video to the end, where he's posting the times, his ending line is something about the person who drives the Lexus will be late for work, and a dork when he gets there... hmmmm... guess JC won't be late for work at the BBC any more. Who's the dork now Jeremy?

bnizzle87

Fan
Reactions
That is true, PatrixUSA. Jeremy is a dork, but a beloved part of that show. But I would think the Bimmer would be late for one reason- waiting for AAA or a tow truck to come save them when something goes wrong on the road. I've seen it a few times this month alone from guys who are in business suits and are baffled at seeing smoke rise from their hoods and having to wait alongside shoulders of a freeway for aid. I would never wish this on anyone, but more often than not it will be a Bimmer than a Lexus needing a tow, which was a huge selling factor for me when choosing between the two.

Styling is subjective. Fake exhaust tips, though I don't agree with fanbois on the darkside bashing on them and not their fake engine sounds from their beloved M vehicles, are also subject to personal taste. Reliability of a vehicle and getting from point A to point B safely (and with a little fun) are measurable, and obviously these M vehicles won't be able to compete as well if they're constantly frequenting repair shops or the dealerships.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think the funniest thing was when Ferrari slapped the stacked exhaust on their California and the internet crickets were in full effect. Like you all, I argued for the IS F with people just stuck on the quad exhaust and how its "fake" yet they missed multiple cars that have a similar feature. The IS F just seemed more obvious for its stacked design.

When I was younger it used to really rile me up but now I just laugh and if you do some quick searches on many of these supposed "enthusiasts" are just unhappy people and feel the need to bash Lexus.

4729012276_875e13d422.jpg

I8ABMR

Fan
Reactions
I hate that comment as well. I have also heard they are functional diffusers. Not sure how true that is but I agree that most just repeat what Clarkson says all the time.

Reactions: CIF

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Clarkson's sense of sight, hearing and who knows what else is fading unfortunately. Yes, having driven the car at WOT and also having heard the car from the outside at WOT, nothing fake going on with the ISF.

Reactions: CIF
Reactions
Not fake at all, the exhaust pipes are not connected to the integrated Exhaust tips for many reasons. As almost every manufacturer does the same that has a similar design. I mean it only makes sense, imagine if some bumped your car parking? I'd be pretty upset if my exhaust tips got bent and possible forced off their hangers from a small parking incident.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I really loved Top Gear show, but I don't miss it at all. It had its time and its place, but the last few seasons were long in the tooth. There are a number of youtube car shows that I watch, and while they may not have the same budget as the Top Gear, they are far more in line with the times and I find them more entertaining.

When it comes to Lexus, they certainly have their short comings, but they do sell - so they gotta be doing something right. The RC model is very recent, but I see so many of them around, which means its selling quite a bit, which is not usual for a coupe. Lexus F brand is evolving, and has nowhere to go but up.

Reactions
I really loved Top Gear show, but I don't miss it at all. It had its time and its place, but the last few seasons were long in the tooth. There are a number of youtube car shows that I watch, and while they may not have the same budget as the Top Gear, they are far more in line with the times and I find them more entertaining.

When it comes to Lexus, they certainly have their short comings, but they do sell - so they gotta be doing something right. The RC model is very recent, but I see so many of them around, which means its selling quite a bit, which is not usual for a coupe. Lexus F brand is evolving, and has nowhere to go but up.

Very true. Speaking of which, Chris Harris is my favorite he does a great review of the RC-F with so much more information and detail about the car. Just about every review he does is so well done.

Ben

Reactions
Sorry I know this is an old thread, but I have just become the owner of the actual car in this episode! If I listened to everything Clarkson says I probably won't have bought it but they are a fantastic car!

Attachments

• Top Gear ISF.jpg
    Top Gear ISF.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2