Is the IS dead after 2024?

Reactions
Looking at Toyota/ Lexus model cycles from over the years. 10 years is the Max a model lives until is axed or redesigned from the ground up.

I could see the IS go the way of the dodo with the current sales figures and current market trend shift towards SUV/ crossovers. The looming market forcast and the on going recession to depression scenario might make it disappear faster.

The competition also will further take away from the sales.

Will the IS even make it to 2024? Or will it be discontinued in 2022 or 2023.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Looking at Toyota/ Lexus model cycles from over the years. 10 years is the Max a model lives until is axed or redesigned from the ground up.
Not really. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a trio of exceptions:

4th-gen LS: Built for 11 years. (2007 until 2017 model year. That's 11 whole model years)

current GX: Debuted for 2010 model year. At this point in time on its 11th model year, and its 3rd-gen successor is expected no sooner than the 2023 model year. This would give it at least a 14-year run.

current LX: Debuted for 2008 model year. At this point in time on its 13th model year. Its 4th-gen successor may appear for the 2021 model year, but more likely slip back to 2022 MY.

Will the IS even make it to 2024? Or will it be discontinued in 2022 or 2023.
According to rumors from Japan's Best Car magazine, the just-unveiled 2021 IS major facelift will be built for 3 years (2021, 2022 and 2023 model years). For the 2024 model year, one of 3 things will happen:

1) A proper, all-new 4th-gen IS will debut on the GA-L or Toyota Crown's TNGA-N architecture (a highly unlikely prospect)

2) IS will simply disappear, much as GS just did. (Sadly, the likeliest prospect)

3) IS will morph into a battery-electric sedan rivaling the Tesla Model 3 and built on the upcoming Toyota / Lexus TNGA-e electric architecture.

There is ample discussion on the subject towards the end of the now-locked "Future of IS" thread:
https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/the-future-of-the-is-thread.4430/

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
According to rumors from Japan's Best Car magazine, the just-unveiled 2021 IS major facelift will be built for 3 years (2021, 2022 and 2023 model years). For the 2024 model year, one of 3 things will happen:

1) A proper, all-new 4th-gen IS will debut on the GA-L or Toyota Crown's TNGA-N architecture (a highly unlikely prospect)

2) IS will simply disappear, much as GS just did. (Sadly, the likeliest prospect)

3) IS will morph into a battery-electric sedan rivaling the Tesla Model 3 and built on the upcoming Toyota / Lexus TNGA-e electric architecture.

I would add a 4th option that it could be co-developed with Mazda on their next gen RWD architecture, along with the RC. I find that unlikely as well, but it's been thrown around in rumors 🤷‍♂️

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I would add a 4th option that it could be co-developed with Mazda on their next gen RWD architecture, along with the RC. I find that unlikely as well, but it's been thrown around in rumors 🤷‍♂️
That's right! Major brain fade on my part. I momentarily forgot about that one. If anything, I'd say it's slightly likelier than a GA-L / TNGA 4IS. Then again, I have this stubborn suspicion (which I've expressed on these forums more than once) that Mazda's upcoming RWD Large Architecture is either a variant or rebranding of those Toyota/Lexus GA-L / TNGA architectures.

Reactions
I'm going with the is will die this generation. The sales figures aren't profitable for Lexus.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I'm going with the is will die this generation. The sales figures aren't profitable for Lexus.

Agree unfortunately. There is always the Genesis G70, Alfa Giulia and Jaguar XE if RWD but not German.

Reactions
I actually agree. I find it hard to believe they redesigned the exterior, phoned it home with the interior, and will completely re-do it for 2022. Financially makes no sense; I think this 2021 model was their final effort amidst sales, and they'll bleed it out till ax-ing it in 2024.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
That's right! Major brain fade on my part. I momentarily forgot about that one. If anything, I'd say it's slightly likelier than a GA-L / TNGA 4IS. Then again, I have this stubborn suspicion (which I've expressed on these forums more than once) that Mazda's upcoming RWD Large Architecture is either a variant or rebranding of those Toyota/Lexus GA-L / TNGA architectures.

I think that seems to be the case. Due to PR reasons they can't declare they got Lexus RWD platform to play with but instead it will be "their own". In reality most likely it will be GA-L evolution and in return Lexus gets compact turbo I6 to use.