Is the car bubble going to burst?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Average new car transaction prices are up $10k over 2020 at almost $49k in Feb 2023:
Feb-2023-ATP-Price.jpeg

Average transaction price for a RAV4 is now $37-38k. A RAV4 nearing $40k.

Average transaction price for a Camry is now $33-34k.

The 2016 and 2019 4Runners I bought before my GX were $46k and $47k (Limited 4x4) -- we know the 4Runner has barely changed since then and that (98% same) vehicle now sells for $54-55k in 2023. GX 460 prices are up ~$10k model-for-model over 9 years - also 98% the same car as it was in 2010.

... the above examples are only Toyota, but they apply to nearly any automaker with regards to major increases in the price of new vehicles. At the same time, "affordable" family cars and sedans have disappeared over the last 6-7 years and not surprisingly, auto loans are now stretching to 7 years, and average APR is around 6% presently.

Realizing real wages haven't grown -- and in some cases have decreased -- combined with inflation, this is feeling a lot like a bubble to me.

We're starting to see Ford and Chevy offer lower promotional interest rates on some models, which is usually the first sign of pressure that OEMs are feeling, but it was just a few months ago we were reading that dealers and brands wanted this to be the "new normal" because it was so much more profit: cars sold before they even arrive, sold at MSRP or greater. It only takes 1-2 brands to start offering better deals before the others eventually have to follow suit in some way, and I don't think we're there yet, but I do think it's coming.

Would love to hear from other folks on this. Happy to open the floor for policy discussions, but not political flame baiting, so keep that in mind.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Unless demand gets curtailed (i.e. people stop buying or leasing, predominantly), I don't see prices going back down. As corporations, being highly profitable is a requirement for shareholders. They will price at what the market will bear.

Everything from grocery and basic staples, to yoga sessions, except income lol, have been going up here in Canada.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Inflation may be caused not only by over-demand but also by under-supply, and that is what is causing the inflation in groceries and automobiles. The high prices we are seeing in groceries and new vehicles was (and still is) caused by a supply shortage, and those shortages have not yet been completely eased.

As the inflation of new vehicles is caused by a shortage of vehicles (which is now causing shortages of used vehicles), this inflation should ease when automakers are able to provide more vehicles. All it will take is one or two automakers to start providing more cars on lots and dealers then willing to sell for closer to (or lower than) MSRP. At that point, transaction prices should start to come down.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Remember when some said BEVs will reach price parity with ICEVs?

Well, they were right! The only thing is that it is not BEVs that became as "cheap" as ICEVs, but ICEVs got as expensive as BEVs.
Yes and you are 100% correct.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
If you make a straight line across the trend leading up to the last couple years, the average transaction price should be ~$44k today. Things being over valued by 10% isn't much of a bubble, IMO. We probably just see correction in the next couple years but it won't be anything crazy. Cars have always been a depreciating asset.

ES300h

Fan
Reactions
I tried to buy an Ioniq 6 here in Canada about 2 months ago. Dealer wanted $8,000 over MSRP in made-up fees. Needless to say I didn't buy it. I now know why they are called stealerships. Hopefully some day prices will trend down because people aren't buying.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I’m seeing tons of deals now and more aggressive salespeople are back. All brands. Also more advertising. Seems Hyundai is back giving away cars and VW has sign and drive back. On some specific cars it’s wild, some saying they got 30k off plus more incentives off an Audi RS GT e tron.

Inventory has climbed back.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
You can certainly find deals, but financing is much more expensive, so monthly payments are still high.