Lexus IS F IS-F Track day photos, video , info , and interest thread

I8ABMR

Fan
Reactions
The ISF is an amazing car. The duality of the vehicle mixed with the Lexus design and durability makes it an ideal car for any enthusiast. I had a GS350 and an LS460 before my ISF and purchased the car because I wanted to a car that could get me to the office and to the track with no issues. Well that is exactly what Lexus created ! I know we have many owners out there who have either been to the track with the F or are curious about exploring the wilder side of the F vehicle. I figured I would start a track day photo, video, and interest thread.

I am no professional driver but I really enjoy driving my F on the track. I have gotten a bit better and and I am still working on it. I have done 7 track days with the F in just a little over a year. The car is amazing and is a real beast!! Not only does the ISF have great power, handling, and chassis balance. Best of all IT'S RELIABLE . Even after my track work ( stock size tires, stock ride height) the only issue I have had with the car is slight squeak in the drivers seat that simply needed the bolts to be tightened to address the noise. I would like the world to know , if you think Lexus makes great luxury cars......check out the F line from Lexus. They are great at making exhilarating vehicles now as well. Lexus F.....have your cake and eat it too !!

Attachments

• IMG_3282.JPG
    IMG_3282.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8799.jpg
    IMG_8799.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

I8ABMR

Fan
Reactions
For those of you interested in seeing what you Lexus ISF vehicle can do on the track I would recommend googling your local track event calendar and track groups. I have run with NASA, SCCA, and ProAutoSports. These local events can usually range from $150 to $350 for 1-2 days but can vary and go higher depending on the facility, host, etc. You will need at minimum a good helmet ( each group will have general standards listed ), a tank of gas, some brake and tire life to spare, a cooler filled with water and snacks, basic tool set, a quart of oil, good attitude, and a willingness to learn how to actually drive the car at or near its limits. Once you get a feel for the organization you will get a feel of the people, venues, things needed and not needed, as well as the lay outs of each unique track.

Now , if you are like most people out there, and would like to record your track days there are multiple options to capture those sweet apex attacks, exits, and passes. Options range from the popular GoPro line, to dash cams, multiple digital recorders, to your old iPhone stuck to the dash with Harry Lap Timer app. Harry's lap timer ( I knew you were going to ask) is an amazing basic telemetry app that although less than $30 on iTunes can collect an amazing array of data using the GPS in your iPhone. Definitely check that app out !!

I know the initial main concern is am I going to kill my beloved car ?? The answer , in short, not even close. The ISF was designed, built, and tested to take track work with no issue. The main things that will be taxed are the tires and brakes. You will need to expect some accelerated wear there. I have gone through a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in 8k miles !! That was going to and from work and three track days ( 2 sessions ). The stock oem brakes have been great. No issues at all, although my top speeds on the shorter tracks I have been on haven't really gone higher than 100-105 mph. Many seasoned ISF track vets do recommend upgrading the pads if you are on a track with speeds reaching closer to 130-140. Many after market options exist. So far the oem Brembo system has held up amazingly well. Original rotors I purchased the car with but I did replace by pads after the second track day. Make sure your oil level is good and maintain your oil with regular changes and you will be smiling ear to ear. I have owned a few beautiful Lexus sedans. All of which I have expected to be amazing and wonderful vehicles to own. And they have, BUT none of them have put a smile on my face or , best of all, got my heart beating like the ISF has. The duality of the vehicle is truly something special. A Dr Jekyl and My Hyde kind of deal or perhaps a Superman and Clarke Kent , if you will. Imagine a Dr ,scholar, and gentleman who , if consumed the right amount of fuel/throttle would turn into a powerful beast with super strength . Or a mild mannered luxury car that if needed could immediately turn into a super track machine that can over take groups of European cars in single pass on the track, then quickly change back to that mild mannered luxury car with the nice stereo and A/C that will get you home in peace and quiet while you relive and savor every pass and beautiful apex on the way home.

I would like to thank Lexus for going for it and creating this new breed of vehicles and heading into a direction that is bright and making many of us proud. There are great cars to drive, and great cars to own. The Lexus ISF is truly both, and I would encourage any and all of the owners to get these amazing cars out to a local track day. Even if its just once to see what the car feels like in a track environment and to see what that special skunk works team obsessed over during its development. There is a beast waiting for you to discover. I promise.

I8ABMR

Fan
Reactions
Recently got some new wheels and tires for the F to take things to the next level ont he track. They are HH FF15 wheels 19x9 and 19x11 with a 255/35/19 and 295/30/19 Yokohama Advan Neova ADO8R . The car sticks like crazy. In fact its harder to stay in the seat now.The car in much more neutral and can power out of turns now without corner exit over steer. The wheels also seem to reduce the feeling of roll when turning. Not sure if thats because the foot print and track have been widened a bit. Loving the results and loving the track time

Attachments

• IMG_4309.JPG
    IMG_4309.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
  • IMG_4297.JPG
    IMG_4297.JPG
  • IMG_4255.JPG
    IMG_4255.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4326.JPG
    IMG_4326.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2

I8ABMR

Fan
Reactions

My run with an Aston Martin V8 Vantage at AMP. Killed it !!

Battling a Carrera 4S

Fun at WHP west track. Going back to the beginning with the new wheel and tire set up for a shake down

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
This is amazing, thanks for sharing!

Have you driven the RC F or GS F?

Reactions: CIF

I8ABMR

Fan
Reactions
Some more adventures. A couple of recent track days that passed, and I am proud to announce I am schedule for Chuckwalla Valley Raceway for the first time, and I am headed back to Arizona Motor sports Park again the weekend after. I am also heading back to one of my new favorite tracks, Wild Horse Pass Main Track next month. Its a great track where they utilize a drag racing strip as the main straight.

Here is WHP Main . Had a great run and topped out at about 130 mph !

This is a run I had at WHP East Course. Great run with a new 911 and was passed by a freakishly fast Cayman lol

911/Audi run with IS-F

I had an amazing time making these videos and I hope you guys enjoy them .

PS I will make sure to post up the videos from the next 3 track events over the next 6 weeks

I8ABMR

Fan
Reactions
I have been running the Yokohama ADO8R for 5 months now. I went through a rear set in less than 5 k miles and have ordered a new set for the rear for thr 2016 season . I do plan on trying to fit the Michelin PSS or PS Cup 2 on the next round. I love the yokohama consistency and the design but I dont like the noise. I am going to try the Cup 2 tires on the next set to see if I can gain back a touch more of the refinement I had in the PSS. What made me leave the PSS was the lack of consistent performance as they aged. They would break loose on hard launch after just a single track day. So although they held their own on the track I felt like they were not truly designed to run on the track. The Cup2 is more of what I need. I have been tempted by some of the cheaper alternatives for track tires but my desire to maintain some civility on the road keeps me away from the Toyo R888 as well as many of the "hardcore " tires are just not offered in the sizes that I run on my F ( 255/35/19 and 295/30/19)

I8ABMR

Fan
Reactions
Some photos from the recent track sessions !

Attachments

• IMG_9980.JPG
    IMG_9980.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9993.JPG
    IMG_9993.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4721.JPG
    IMG_4721.JPG