iPhone 15 -- flop?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Is it just me, or does this seem like Apple's least successful iPhone launch... maybe ever? I'm thinking about this primarily from a business perspective, less so the enthusiast POV. It will be interesting to see what the business impact looks like once quarterly numbers are reported out.

There was a bunch of hype before the event about Apple finally changing the form factor - that didn't happen.

Overheating issues seem pretty common.

Titanium isn't as strong as Apple hyped it up to be and there are lots of issues with cracking back glass even with mild drops.

I noticed that the big carriers (ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile) are already giving them away for "free" which usually doesn't happen with an iPhone for several months after launch. Also a ton of ads rolling out promoting the iPhone 15, which doesn't tend to happen in such heavy volume for a few months after launch.

I have an iPhone 14 Pro and usually upgrade every year, but this is the first time in a long time that I haven't really seen a reason to upgrade. Seems like many people agree and are also voting with their wallets/devices.

Thoughts?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I didn't even realize it came out.
"iPhone 15" even sounds like a parody at this point.
With the mini gone, i'm hoping my 12 mini lasts as the backup to my folding stuff..

ES300h

Fan
Reactions
I normally get the new iPhone every year, but I have the 14 Pro and the 15 is a big yawn fest, I didn't bother upgrading. There is so little that is new every year it's almost pointless to upgrade unless my phone dies or gets lost. About the only thing that would get me to upgrade is some kind of new health/safety features.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I could have been interested in 15 if there was a mini with USB-C. Waiting for SE4 in 13 mini form factor with USB-C.

If not I am getting Pixel with GrapheneOS again.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
TSMC's N3B process missed performance targets and is only marginally more efficient than their N4P node (the one the A16 chip uses). Process shrinks in recent years haven't been offsetting the density increases with efficiency gains which raises the thermal density of a chip, making it harder to cool. That's not even mentioning their new iGPU which was pulled from last year's iPhone mainly because of thermal and battery issues (drew too much power). I think they should move to a vapor chamber for cooling or something like that. The next iPhone should move to a more matured and improved N3E process which should further increase YoY gains and you'll def hear about it in the next Apple event. Maybe I'll upgrade then since I'm still on the iPhone 12 Pro Max but I still don't see a need for one except for maybe a better camera. Tech leaps in phones have significantly slowed down compared to 5+ years ago.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Is it just me, or does this seem like Apple's least successful iPhone launch... maybe ever? I'm thinking about this primarily from a business perspective, less so the enthusiast POV. It will be interesting to see what the business impact looks like once quarterly numbers are reported out.

Thoughts?
Very simple.....it just costs too much. Base versions start at $799, and top-line versions go for as much as $1199. That's simply too much to pay for a cell phone....and, with grocery prices sky-high (and still climbing), mortgages and car-loans also skyrocketing, less and less of one's budget is available for electronic toys.