Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Just found out another thing where there seems to be cost cutting. The IS500 F-Sport transmission and differential are not from the RCF, but the 8 speed and the differential from the IS350 RWD

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Just found out another thing where there seems to be cost cutting. The IS500 F-Sport transmission and differential are not from the RCF, but the 8 speed and the differential from the IS350 RWD
Does not mean it wasn't tuned differently

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Does not mean it wasn't tuned differently

Yes, possibly software might be different compared to the IS350 tune, but the stronger differential, oil coolers won't be there. Also, the IS350 ratios/final drive would be different than the RCF.

Last edited:
Reactions
They just launched it as the new F SPORT Performance; it is not a F car and will not be rebranded. Again it is not a F car.

Yes there is a bit of confusion I get it. Let’s welcome the car with open arms instead of having many IS F owners seemingly taking personal offense to the car.
It's not a F car as you noted , And it has the F Sport logo, So what car is it supposed to be? IS 500 with the F logo, Yes I am a ISF owner I am not taking any offense to what Lexus is doing with it they are the manufacturer they can do what ever they want to do with it. And how do you know they aren't going to rebadged it in the future after the Launch? Do you work for Lexus or have actual insider reviews? There's many ways that could be done with aftemarket kits to show that the IS 500 is a V8 Performance car, anyone can Buy the F performance badges and replace the 500 with the F logo, or debadge the F Sport logos, and replace it with the F Performance logos ,only way to know is the slanted quad exhaust and engine sound.
For sure the next Sema show there will be aftermarket fenders that have the air vents/gills and engine performance parts. You want zoom zoom and have the $$$ The ISF can be moded to meet or beat the competition.
There's no confusion if you are familiar or own a F performance car. For me the debut just looks like the base IS, with the bigger hood on the engine bay and the quad exhaust, they did the samething when the ISF debuted, only difference was the front fascia and fenders, Lexus could have done it as the Concepts pictures shown before the official debut.
That's what I ment it just throws off its distinction with the Base IS models.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
no diff cooler, no oil cooler, smaller brakes, narrower tire, explains why the IS 500 is so little heavier than IS 350. so on straight IS 500 might be faster than RCF, but on track no chance. anyway, who tracks cars? most don't, so IS 500 is good enough for those wanting a faster IS 350 with bonus of better V8 sound.

Reactions
I agree, for me I'm going to stick with my ISF, along the line I'll mod the motor with a supercharger, probably just keep it as a show car.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
just thinking: if they gave 2UR the 2GR automatic, and we know the 2GR has a manual in Japan, so a manual 2UR is very feasible? 😏

Reactions
It's always possible, only Lexus models I know of that came with a manual was the 1st Gen IS300, The ES 250/300 since it's platform was based on the Camry and the SC300. Not sure if the SC400 V8 had it or the auto was swapped to manual, also the 2nd Gen IS250 from 06- 2012.
It will be nice to have a F performance car with a manual transmission, but I'm guessing Lexus figured out people might end up blowing the motor if they don't know what their doing while racing or drifting..lol just messing..

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
no diff cooler, no oil cooler, smaller brakes, narrower tire, explains why the IS 500 is so little heavier than IS 350. so on straight IS 500 might be faster than RCF, but on track no chance. anyway, who tracks cars? most don't, so IS 500 is good enough for those wanting a faster IS 350 with bonus of better V8 sound.

It has pretty much the same power to weight ratio as the RCF (lexus officially says 3890 lbs for IS500 F-Sport and 3900 lbs for the RCF on their site), but it has a smaller foot print in the rear so it will have less traction. RCF did 0-60 mph in 4.1 seconds with C&D so if Lexus is conservative with the IS500;s 0-60 mph 4.5 seconds, it might be as quick as the RCF in a straight line. Also, gear ratio/final drive is also another variable.

Like I said, does not mean people will not find the IS500 F-Sport as/more enjoyable than the RCF since it will be like a hooligan's car. It will smoke the rear tires and oversteer more easily because of less mechanical grip in the rear and same engine/power.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
just thinking: if they gave 2UR the 2GR automatic, and we know the 2GR has a manual in Japan, so a manual 2UR is very feasible? 😏
They don't have a manual transmission with the required torque capacity. Their heaviest duty manual (not for a Hino truck, that is) is the 5MT with 1VD and 6MT with 1GD both with 600N.m torque capacity. Toyota always leaves a 40% margin so both the 1VD and 1GD are limited to 430N.m (600/1.4) when paired with manual. Also these gearboxes are for trucks so they are not really suitable for sports cars. The 2UR has 540N.m so it would require a 750N.m rating by Toyota's standards.

Toyota has not had a high torque rating manual transmission since the Getrag V160 on the Supra Mk4.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
A comparison shot from the rear angle on the width of the rear axle. The IS500 F-Sport seems about 2 inches narrower than the RCF. The rear fenders bulge out a lot more on the RCF. That means, the IS500 F-Sport will be easier to oversteer.

2021-02-21-lexus-is-500-gallery-41.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Genesis missed an opportunity with putting its NA 5.0l V8 in the G70. But who knows, maybe now it will even come in Wagon version, M3 Touring is coming too. While G80, GV70 and GV80 only have TTV6, new G90 apparently still comes with NAV8.

mikeavelli

Reactions
IAnd how do you know they aren't going to rebadged it in the future after the Launch? Do you work for Lexus or have actual insider reviews?
I see you are new around these parts.... Lexus gave me the teaser. And I’m posting from HQ now lol.. I wonder why lol

The IS F is cool. It had its time, it is an old legacy product. A new age is coming and either get on board or watch things pass by,

C52DF364-C002-4B08-A6B4-E858981B66AF.jpeg

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I see you are new around these parts.... Lexus gave me the teaser. And I’m posting from HQ now lol.. I wonder why lol

The IS F is cool. It had its time, it is an old legacy product. A new age is coming and either get on board or watch things pass by,

View attachment 4665

In addition to having the hookup you can tell from dudes posts and videos that Mike is a good hearted, smart guy. The people make this the only auto forum I use.