Infiniti Drops QX70 (FX) for 2018

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
infiniti-qx70_100549701_m.jpg

Although it’s BMW that’s generally accepted for instigating the coupe-like SUV segment with the first-generation X6, some credit should be given to Infiniti whose slinky FX was introduced several years prior to the BMW.

The FX is currently in its second generation and known today as the QX70. The second-generation model has been on sale since 2008, but 2017 will be the FX/QX's last year on the market as Infiniti has decided to drop the vehicle.

Infiniti has confirmed to Automotive News (subscription required) that there won’t be a 2018 QX70. Instead, the automaker will focus on redesigned versions of the QX50 and QX80 which will feature next-generation design themes. Both vehicles are expected on the market in the next 12 months.

The good news is that the QX70 won’t disappear for good. According to Automotive News’ sources, a redesigned model is in the works. This new QX70 is expected to arrive for the 2021 or 2022 model year, but instead of the more premium rear-drive platform of the current generation the new model is expected to adopt the front-wheel-drive platform found in Nissan’s Murano and Pathfinder.

For the current QX70’s last year on the market, Infiniti is offering a QX70 Limited model which offers a number of additional luxuries. The sole powertrain is a 325-horsepower 3.7-liter V-6 mated to a 7-speed automatic.

Source: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1111683_infiniti-drops-qx70

I'm not quite sure the last part of that article makes sense since Infiniti has the QX60, which is already Pathfinder-based. @Carmaker1 , what can you tell us?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Never did like this vehicle much.....ugly and awkward-looking in my book. It was designed, though, back before Infiniti started cutting down on the solidity of its materials, so it had more of a nice hefty feel than some of the newer Infinitis.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Amazing how it literally debuts the entire concept of a sporty couple like luxury SUV and it all went downhill after some initial success. When they dropped the big V-8 a couple of years ago that wasn't a good sign. It really has grown on me over the years. The name FX had a pretty solid niche base, I think changing the name really hurt this vehicle.

If it comes back FWD kill it with fire.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I leaked this in detail several months ago, but the news are very slow to pick up on it. I liked the FX quite a lot and had a 2011 FX50S in my family via my younger sister. This started the coupe crossover craze, well before anyone else had the idea or knew what to call it.

The idea for the FX dates back to 1999, when Nissan had merged with Renault and wanted two parallel, yet unique offerings for the both Nissan and Infiniti brands under 1999's NRP (Nissan Revival Plan).

The shocking thing about the original model is, that it was previewed by an entirely different looking "concept" back in January 2001. Several months into development of the S50 in the spring of 2000, a decision was made to develop a preview off of a competition design proposal.
infiniti_fx45_concept_2.jpeg

fx45.jpg

Trouble is, the gestation process took quite some months, that by the time the show circuit concept was completed in November 2000, a very different final production design had been approved, weeks before Christmas break in 2000. Nonetheless, the original idea for the concept from mid-2000, was retained and made its NAIAS debut, while the real car would be withheld until the 2002 show.
2002_Infiniti_FX45_Concept_design-sketch_01.jpg

2002_Infiniti_FX45Concept2.jpg

I have had the sinking feeling for years, that BMW put the E71 X6 into development partly because of this back in 2003 (E70 development began in 2001). The X6 design was formally approved in early 2005, just 2 years after the production FX45 went on sale. Since then, it has never been the same with this segment.

The design that Infiniti went with for the current/outgoing S51 back in 2005, unfortunately was not as well-resolved as the original S50 and has suffered severe neglect since then, with hardly noticeable touch-ups. My sister waited for a new QX70, then lost interest and got a Macan. Clearly consumer retention does not matter.

I cannot believe that Ghosn greenlighted the original 18 years ago, then failed to invest in it to ensure consistency and freshness. I have not been able to understand the wasted investment in the S52 QX70 programme, to just go and cancel it so last minute. It has just been unfortunate, that sometimes I question why my father bothers maintaining his Renault-Nissan shares.

When I heard the idea for a Murano-based QX70 made my stomach churn, upon hearing this information back in April. This idea was on the table back August 1999, but quickly shot-down in favour of their "new" FM platform going into the G35. Yet, somehow they want to go backwards now.

Currently design work is underway for the next generation Murano, but not yet reached design freeze. I hope that this can be reviewed further this year, but after what I learned about the next QX50 last year, I am beginning to quickly lose interest in this brand once again. I cannot how they would be hemorrhaging money for decades, to justify making decisions like this.

The QX50 that goes on sale in February 2018 (unless again delayed), cannot and will not replace the QX70. It was not developed to do so, but marketing personnel would prefer to steer people in that direction to not lose any Infiniti sales. I honestly believe that Nissan is incapable of building on whatever they did before and can only remake the same thing or dumb it down.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Never underestimate badge power....Another issue is this SUV isn't cheap and most will just buy the German offerings today. Not to mention its not just the X6, you now have the GLE Coupe, X4, GLC Coupe, Macan, Cayenne etc. Its a sad story since Infiniti did create this concept of a raised SUV Sports Coupe. I really have a new soft spot for it, particular the FX50 S.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
That roofline makes it look like it went halfway through a crusher LOL.

At the time, Porsche was putting finishing touches on their more upright Cayenne and BMW was trying to experiment with this questionable thing, before the X6 was a concrete study.

bmw-x-coupe-concept-2001-1.jpg

infiniti-fx45-photo-200240-s-429x262.jpg

It was night and day between this 2000/01 concept and the actual concept for the production FX45 (also a 2000 design effort). I wondered why Nissan would commit to trotting out this trash, over the actual final design is beyond me. Holding it off until NYIAS in April 2001, would've given them a few months to match the final design and not give this terrible eyesore stage time.