Hyundai Motor Group no No. 3 automaker in sales volume | More fires

Reactions
I think Lexus should have made three variants of the current LS, one called the LS 350tt (416hp) and a second variant with the 5.0L 2UR-GSE V8 (472hp) and call it a true LS 500...that would bring back buyers and of course the LS 500h (354hp).

I agree. I don't think it was all doom and gloom and Lexus made a huge miscalculation here by getting rid of desirable powertrains. Toyota/Lexus getting rid of the V6 in favor of a 4-cylinder in cars like the Highlander and RX is a huge mistake IMHO. People still want big powertrains with decent fuel efficiency.

BMW is doing an excellent job at it. Learn from them.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
What do you guys think? Definitely getting Porsche vibes from the design.

Reactions
I prefer the retro look of the I5 but Hyundai dealers will be happy they got another car that buyers will be waiting for. Wake me up when this comes N Vision 74 is available.

Last edited:

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I attended the LA Autoshow today which was the last day and got a chance to see the Ioniq 6 in person. The rear quarter definitely reminds me of the old Infiniti J30 that had a saggy rear end. Sitting in the rear seats there is plenty of leg room. The floor is raised because the battery is underneath the floor. Interior such as the door panels, dash, seats, center console, carpet, etc. are made with sustainable materials. However I would not purchase a soulless BEV. I do have a couple of hybrids which have a soul (gas engines) and are used primarily for commuting.

Next door there was an awesome looking Genesis convertible and coupe...I'll post pics when I get a chance.

As a matter of fact I have put down a $1K deposit on a 2023 Grecian Water blue IS 500 FSP. Gotta support the NA V8 and keep one as a collection since it's going away (I hate that it is due to certain state government mandates banning gasoline engines, CAFE rules, etc.).

Attachments

• 20221127_162320.jpg
    20221127_162320.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 20221127_151344.jpg
    20221127_151344.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20221127_151416.jpg
    20221127_151416.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I attended LA auto show for first time in 2021, a lot bigger that SF that I'm used to.

I cannot purchase a souless slow hybrid with a 4 banger tuned like a diesel for EPA fuel efficiency which is very typical setup.
Agreed, that IS500 is one of a very special breed of automobile. luv it.

Hyundai is gaining market share with both BEV and ICE setups, without appealing to enthusiasts.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I attended the SF Autoshow back in 2008 at the SF convention center and I remember going downstairs to the various auto makers exhibits. I enjoyed it and also remember that there weren't as many people attending. The OC autoshow is also smaller than the LA autoshow but felt that more people showed up to the OC autoshow than the SF autoshow.

Hyundai had a big presence at the LA autoshow which also included separate exhibits for Genesis and Kia. I attached pictures of the Genesis convertible and coupe which are awesome looking vehicles. Hyundai has come a long way.

There were a few no shows such as Acura, Audi, BMW/Mini, Infiniti, Mercedes, Tesla. In the past Bentley, Rolls, Ferreri and Lamborghini stopped showing up to the LA autoshow.

Attachments

• 20221127_154636.jpg
    20221127_154636.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221127_154737.jpg
    20221127_154737.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221127_154729.jpg
    20221127_154729.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
As far as "Child" labor goes, just FYI, one is not legally considered a full-adult in Alabama until they are 19 years old, although the Age of Consent is 16. So, if 17 or 18-year-olds were found to be working at the Hyundai plants, that might (?) qualify them as underage, whereas they would be considered adults in some other states.

Last edited:

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions

Good for Hyundai!

Hyundai announced it will solely offer fully electric vehicles in the Norwegian market starting from January 1st, 2023. This makes Norway the first market in the world that Hyundai goes EV-only.

The bold move from one of Norway’s top-selling automotive brands is rather predictable if you look at the numbers. In recent years, EVs accounted for over 90% of Hyundai’s sales in Norway, making the transition easier than it sounds. More specifically, between 2020 and 2022, Hyundai delivered 25,000 cars in Norway, with a staggering 92% being fully electric.

This percentage is surprising if you consider that the only pure EVs offered by Hyundai up to date were the Ioniq and the Kona Electric. Still, those two models proved to be among the most popular in the Norwegian market where EVs are traditionally a dominant force.

Since 2020, Hyundai committed to selling only EVs and PHEVs in Norway, discontinuing the rest of the ICE-only range from the region. Now the automaker takes it a step further by dropping the plug-in hybrid variants of the Tucson and the Santa Fe. Hyundai didn’t clarify if the hydrogen-fueled Nexo will remain on sale, as a zero-emission model with electric motors.

Hyundai started selling EVs in 2016 with the original Ioniq, followed by the Kona Electric in 2018 and the Ioniq 5 in 2021. A few months ago Hyundai launched the brand-new Ioniq 6 which will help in boosting its EV sales even further as proven by the large number of pre-orders in European markets. Note that the 2,500 units of the Ioniq 6 First Edition that became available last month in Germany, the UK, France, Norway, and the Netherlands, sold out in under 24 hours.

Hyundai will soon launch the new generation of the Kona Electric that was recently previewed. More EVs including the Ioniq 7 SUV are expected to debut in the near future broadening Hyundai’s range and covering more popular segments.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It appears electricity costs more than gasoline in Oslo, Norway.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...-twice-expensive-filling-gas-powered-vehicle/

did you actually read the article? They dropped the pricing based on pressure from EV drivers group.

Also it is completely hard to understand, it is based on hourly parking rate on the street and pricing they mention assumes you would be charging for 14 hours.

In that sense, it is still expensive. Maybe cheaper than gas car, but still expensive.

Reading over, it is price of electricity that has gone up in Norway to crazy amounts of $0.9 per kwh,
Due to bad rainfall and war in ukraine? Goverment is subsidizing home bills by 90%, but chargers dont get that.
https://www.lifeinnorway.net/why-is-electricity-so-expensive-in-norway-right-now/

So basically if you charge at home it is very cheap to charge your EV, when you charge outside home, it is price similar to rest of the Europe on outside chargers.