Hyundai Motor Group no No. 3 automaker in sales volume | More fires

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Is this sarcasm?
I guess can you really trust a company where the majority of its products in the past decade all have recalls for spontaneously combusting or needing periodic engine block replacements?

That being said, and in the interests of being fair has Toyota figured out how to keep the wheels on the BZ4x from falling off yet? I hear its been 11.5 weeks since production for the BZ4x has been halted (or a specific production-line has halted).

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Yes, they are apparently full of bugs. I see many EV6, panel gaps and alignments are Tesla worthy. Hyundai/Kia/Genesis are like the Mercedes A/C Class, only bling, no quality.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Yeah you should go buy a first gen EV from Hyundai.
It's not first gen, they've had the Kona EV out for years. You think Toyota is any better with the alphabet jumble? Toyota is failing harder because the wheels literally fall off and the DC charging speed is kind of pathetic by 2022 standards.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
It's not first gen, they've had the Kona EV out for years. You think Toyota is any better with the alphabet jumble? Toyota is failing harder because the wheels literally fall off and the DC charging speed is kind of pathetic by 2022 standards.
Wheels detaching can be fixed a lot easier than trying to get what matters long term right. Toyota is excessively cautious to a fault at times, I assume there is a reason why which won’t become apparent until years down the road.

Will1991

Reactions
Wheels detaching can be fixed a lot easier than trying to get what matters long term right. Toyota is excessively cautious to a fault at times, I assume there is a reason why which won’t become apparent until years down the road.

No questions about it, but for a company that pretty much means reliability everywhere, getting a new car to market that can have falling wheels does seems a rookie mistake…
I don’t know if they have any innovation on that wheel hub to improve rolling efficiency but it’s almost unthinkable to have this issue after they made so many millions without it throughout the years…

I would trust Tesla more than any Hyundai EV

I’m starting to think I’m missing something with Hyundai.

Will1991

Reactions
Some people don’t have any drip of professional ethics to achieve financials gains…

Hope they get fined out of existence.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I don’t agree with all of it but another great episode by Jason.

Thanks for posting this correctly I tried using the media option but it wasn't working.

Based on that review and for a driver like my self I will go for the LS over the GV90. But it's also a signal to Lexus that there is a new player in town.

And just like the S Class never allowed any other LS outshine it Lexus need to make sure the same is true for the Genesis.

Reactions
Great review.

I only didn't agree with the fact that Genesis has appeal. It doesn't and it rose because it barely sells in comparison to other OEMs.

It also is not a replication of Lexus' efforts but it is a genuinely nice car and their growth is genuine. Their products still have ample amount of reliability issues so that's a huge sore spot.

The video also left me becoming a bigger fan of the LS given how genuinely great it handles. It's like a bigger GS but neutered quite a bit haha. They also didn't test the twin-turbo model which tells me it would walk the Genesis if it had the chance. However, it isn't about performance. Lexus went for the Panamera and Quattroporte and lost a huge chunk of their buyer base. I'm not saying DON'T have a sporty offering, but they completely forgot what made the LS popular. It's time to try to go after the S-Class again. Also, bring back the V8.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
And Lexus sales decline has nothing to do with product desirability, but the fact TMC suffered the chip shortage one year later than most car manufacturers. I agree Lexus has very few desirable products at present, but it's not directly related to their business performance.

While other car makers had the chip shortage due to poor planning, TMC was sitting on a healthy stockpile through most of last year. But the Renesas fire in March 2021 caused way longer delays than expected (4 months instead of 2 months), and since chip orders usually have a 6-10 months lead time, Toyota started feeling the pain at the end of 2021. A 2-month delay spread over a year is a 1/6 decrease in capacity in the worst case scenario. It was entirely a Black Swan event that no amount of forward planning could avoid. (Well ironically, Black Swan events were so common in the past two years we almost thought they were supposed to be common).

While I respect Hagerty for their incredible quality of content, they are still like many auto journalist, who don't understand how the car industry actually works.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
However, it isn't about performance. Lexus went for the Panamera and Quattroporte and lost a huge chunk of their buyer base. I'm not saying DON'T have a sporty offering, but they completely forgot what made the LS popular. It's time to try to go after the S-Class again. Also, bring back the god damn V8.
I think Lexus should have made three variants of the current LS, one called the LS 350tt (416hp) and a second variant with the 5.0L 2UR-GSE V8 (472hp) and call it a true LS 500...that would bring back buyers and of course the LS 500h (354hp).

Last edited: