Lexus ES How does the Mark Levinson Sound System in the Lexus ES Compare to an Opera House?

FearTheYu

Admirer
Founding Member
Reaction score
LS500 is a more Chauffeur-able car per say for the occupants in the back compared to the ES350. Ok, I see what you're saying...but for objective purposes, why is the car owner not sitting up front or driving the car?? And if they are not the primary driver/owner, maybe they should upgrade to the LS500 and have someone drive their vehicle? *Shrug* In my opinion: the driver is the captain, the navigator is the navigator, and the passengers are passengers and along for the ride. Please let me know if I'm missing something here on intended purpose and design here. Also, the front bias I can accept because there is a center speaker in the front dash.

Ian Schmidt

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
Right, and what I'm saying is that the changes make it more driver-focused and *less* chauffeur-able. It works for me because I'm driving, but if I were in the back I probably wouldn't enjoy the relative lack of sound in back as much.

Chops

Fan
Reaction score
Considering your typical music sources do not have any rear channel information (surround sound), then if this new system is putting sound behind you, it's all done via digital signal processing (DSP) to create a phantom surround sound in those rear speakers. SACD and now defunct DVD-Audio were the only media that had multi-channel sound.

Personally, I prefer all of my sound coming from the front with a proper sound stage and imaging. Even my home system is 2-channel only these days. I got rid of all of the multi-channel stuff years ago and never looked back.