Honda Struggles to Sell 2018 Accords

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
For Toyota and Honda, they still have the majority of sedan buyers and will be the last to leave if they ever do so, which I doubt would ever happen. We already know that Ford isn't too crazy on bringing a next generation Fusion here, though Nissan will have an all new Altima to do battle. Not sure what the Koreans will do, since they were very slow to change up their car/SUV mix.

I think Fusion is going to go on chop block and Malibu quite possibly too.

Toyota and Honda have strong sales worldwide for their Camry and Accord. If we are to research numbers, we will find out worldwide

2017 Sales
- Camry - 647k
- Accord - $540k
- Malibu - 360k
- Sonata - 280k
- Altima - 277k
- Fusion - less than 270k

Fusion seems likely choice since they only sell it properly in the USA and it is likely a money loser... Altima too? Passat for sure but they might still throw money on it since they want 5% market share in the USA by 2025 (how?).

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I suspect the full Toyota Safety System being stock on all Camry models is helping too, because getting that stuff on competitors is either impossible or expensive.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
All around, Toyota just got the Camry right.

Trims: LE trim is so much more premium than it's ever been, SE is what most people end up getting, XSE and XLE are aspirational at the top end and also offer the right features to catch the interest of premium shoppers. Hybrid models have their niche as well.

Equipment: As everyone has noted, Toyota Safety Sense being standard on all models is a huge selling point for most pedestrian car shoppers. On top of that, they bundled the right features into the right trims, like push button start, sunroof, panoramic roof, JBL sound system on the XSE and XLE, ventilated and heated seats, wireless charging, touch screen controls, LED headlights, etc.

Styling: It straight up just looks good. Period. Again, even the LE has a nice edge to it these days. SE is very sharp, and at the top end, XLE and XSE look downright premium. It's really a good looking car.

Marketing: Toyota chose to play up the "fun to drive" and "active lifestyle" angles when introducing the Camry because they know nobody cares about MPG right now. It worked. Red interior on the XSE has been a huge selling point with the enthusiast crowd and there is a halo effect for SE coming down from XSE.

And too, at the end of the day, its a Camry so people KNOW they're making a solid choice. I don't think many people - especially in our lease-happy society - focus too much on reliability of turbos and CVTs... many folks don't even know or ask what the differences are. Plus, most people trust Honda reliability. However, the Camry just hits on all of the notes above and it's priced right.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Here's a video review of the XSE I was just checking out. The interior looks fantastic lit up at night, and he really loves how it handles.

Reactions
All around, Toyota just got the Camry right.
For me, its missing Apple Carplay/Android Auto, which is one of the biggest complaints from 2018 Camry owners who dislike the Entune system. It would rectify the fact that factory Navigation isn't available on the Non-V6 models. But other than that, its got everything as you said.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I have heard rumors that AWD is definitely coming to the Avalon and possibly the Camry. Sounds a little far fetched but I've heard it from two different people now.

I will say that if there is an AWD V6 Camry offering, my LS will be finding a new home. Just not sure if I'd go XSE or XLE.

Reactions: CIF

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
@Gecko is right on point. The Camry had so many things done right, maybe except the infotainment part but that can be fixed shortly. Their marketing department knows the strength and plays Accordingly (no pun intended) to transform public opinion about the car. The fact that the SE becomes the best selling trim is a clear sign how everything worked, and it doesn't need a manual transmission and fancy AWD to do it.

If we look back 5-6 years ago, media was pushing stories about the death of Camry due to Sonata and other cars (Accord did not have same stories), and it just tells you how out of touch these media writers are.

We have many posters on forums asking 5-6 years ago if Camry is dead because something was cheaper $500 or had 8hp more or had 1" bigger screen

Post-depression Toyota was indeed a mess: it had the biggest scandal in corporate history (sticky throttle), their product portfolio was unappealing and as a result their buyer demographics were aging. The XV40/50 generation Camrys were the epitome of beige-mobile and deserve all the criticism you've mentioned. Competitors got the message and concluded that they can also get away with making bad, bland cars and as a result every mid-size family sedan made in late-2000s/early-2010s are very undesirable but people back then didn't care because beggars can't be choosers. The media saw the death of the Camry because there were other bad cars that were cheaper.

Now with the crossover boom a sedan needs quality in every aspect to convince buyers to stay with a sedan. The XV70 delivers quality thanks to the cost reduction enabled by TNGA. When something with quality appears in a market previously filled by undesirable products, there's no wonder it will dominate. Honda thought the same and step up the quality game even more, but if they couldn't achieve the same level of cost control, the Accord could not dethrone the Camry although it will still be the #2 most desirable sedan in the segment.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@Gecko is right on point. The Camry had so many things done right, maybe except the infotainment part but that can be fixed shortly. Their marketing department knows the strength and plays Accordingly (no pun intended) to transform public opinion about the car. The fact that the SE becomes the best selling trim is a clear sign how everything worked, and it doesn't need a manual transmission and fancy AWD to do it.

Post-depression Toyota was indeed a mess: it had the biggest scandal in corporate history (sticky throttle), their product portfolio was unappealing and as a result their buyer demographics were aging. The XV40/50 generation Camrys were the epitome of beige-mobile and deserve all the criticism you've mentioned. Competitors got the message and concluded that they can also get away with making bad, bland cars and as a result every mid-size family sedan made in late-2000s/early-2010s are very undesirable but people back then didn't care because beggars can't be choosers. The media saw the death of the Camry because there were other bad cars that were cheaper.

Now with the crossover boom a sedan needs quality in every aspect to convince buyers to stay with a sedan. The XV70 delivers quality thanks to the cost reduction enabled by TNGA. When something with quality appears in a market previously filled by undesirable products, there's no wonder it will dominate. Honda thought the same and step up the quality game even more, but if they couldn't achieve the same level of cost control, the Accord could not dethrone the Camry although it will still be the #2 most desirable sedan in the segment.

While I agree with you and would have never bought XV50, but it also outsold competition namely those Hyundais and Fords and Chevys... while analysts at the beginning of that era predicted the demise of Camry... so it is XV50 that killed them, not new XV70 that just started sales.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
While I agree with you and would have never bought XV50, but it also outsold competition namely those Hyundais and Fords and Chevys... while analysts at the beginning of that era predicted the demise of Camry... so it is XV50 that killed them, not new XV70 that just started sales.

Yeah. While both Toyota and Lexus in the mid-to-late 2000s were bland, they *did* sell a lot of 'em, and XV40s are still common on the road.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Definitely the Autonews article is the better article, but I got beat to it.

Regardless of what journos think, there's still buyers out there that want a sedan with three pedals, much like those who still desire a great V6. Glad that both cars offer something that certain buyers still want, since V6s and 6 speeds in family sedans are rarer.

Toyota is doing something right since they know the market isn't getting bigger now, so they've doing everything to capture those buyers still in market for a sedan. I've always felt that the Camry was well received when we first saw it introduced in Detroit last year; the mainstream media proclaimed the Camry's new styling was no longer 'boring', and that to me resonates with the current state of sedan buyers. When we first saw the new Accord the past summer, we all thought we were staring at a Chevy Impala clone.

But either way, the point is that your average Joe Schmoe walking into either dealership is looking at the deal they can get, and all the other things (powertrain/transmission, styling, features) become the secondary considerations. It is apparent which brand is being stubborn. I do agree, a 1.5 Turbo with CVT isn't as appealing to sedan buyers compared to the 2.0L NA 8AT, so that likely pushed many buyers away from the Accord already.

And yes, Honda dealers in the USA have been known to be jerks...
images

The manual is a unique selling point yes.

Also, Honda arrogance extends far beyond just the dealers, as it goes right to the heart of top executives in Japan headquarters.

I don't know if the turbos make people less inclined to buy the Accord; it's not like people stop buying CR-Vs because they have turbo+CVT. What I know for sure is turbo adds cost, A LOT.

Except CR-V buyers are not forced to get the turbo. The CR-V is also available with a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder. With the new Accord though, buyers are forced to get a turbo engine. You don't have a choice. Either engine choice on the Accord is still turbo.

I dont think they are confused really, they just have to drive one to see why. Whole point of TNGA was to be able to re-invest into better equipment and driveability, which they did here.

I assume 2-3 competitors will drop off from the sedan competition in the US in the future, as these prices are heavily dependent on the volume and idling factories are very expensive... this will give a boost to vehicles that remain or at least stop drop of sales, at some point, for remaining vehicles.

But since I have been around forums for 15+ years, I find it funny looking at the list here and how Camry performs against cars like Sonata and even Malibu and Fusion.. if we look back 5-6 years ago, media was pushing stories about the death of Camry due to Sonata and other cars (Accord did not have same stories), and it just tells you how out of touch these media writers are.

We have many posters on forums asking 5-6 years ago if Camry is dead because something was cheaper $500 or had 8hp more or had 1" bigger screen.

In fact, reminds me about stories on (other) forums about Lexus and always doom and gloom because every single Lexus vehicle is not #1 in sales or something, and it the end, we have always expanding Lexus lineup while Acura and Infiniti are barely surviving, and record worldwide sales.

It is dangerous to take what the media says too seriously, because much of the media is sadly very out of touch with reality.

And too, at the end of the day, its a Camry so people KNOW they're making a solid choice. I don't think many people - especially in our lease-happy society - focus too much on reliability of turbos and CVTs... many folks don't even know or ask what the differences are. Plus, most people trust Honda reliability. However, the Camry just hits on all of the notes above and it's priced right.

Yes and no. While leasing is a big deal in North America currently, traditionally Toyota buyers are less likely to lease than buyers of other brands. Toyota customers typically are more likely to finance or buy than to simply lease. Also even in the current times, many Toyota buyers still highly value and cherish reliability. That is why many of them are Toyota buyers in the first place. Honda buyers are also known to lease less than buyers of other brands. Also the consumer perception for Honda may be slowly changing, as major industry barometers like JD Power and Consumer Reports have shown Honda to be only average (or worse) in terms of reliability over the last few years. If this trend continues consistently, then more consumers will certainly alter their perception of Honda reliability.

The Camry's current aggressive lease deals do get a lot of people in the door, even if they're not all planning to lease.

Here's a video review of the XSE I was just checking out. The interior looks fantastic lit up at night, and he really loves how it handles.

Yeah, looks like pretty much every single interior button is lit up at night. That's attention to detail customers appreciate. Can't say the same about some current Toyota products, much less many competitors. Try driving some previous generation Hondas from the last 10 years or so. Many of them have interiors where barely half the interior buttons are light up at night.

I have heard rumors that AWD is definitely coming to the Avalon and possibly the Camry. Sounds a little far fetched but I've heard it from two different people now.

I will say that if there is an AWD V6 Camry offering, my LS will be finding a new home. Just not sure if I'd go XSE or XLE.

Wow! If true, that would be the nail in the coffin for a lot of competitors. If it's the new torque vectoring AWD that's rumored, then if true this will keep Honda executives and engineers up at night.

Just curious, have you ever actually driven the XV40 or XV50 Camry sedans? Or do you simply accept everything the media says? What you're saying here is factually, absolutely flat out incorrect. Regardless of whether you personally like them or not, or if the media likes them or not, the XV40 and XV50 Camry models were (and are) very good vehicles. Now admittedly the XV40 did suffer some visible cost-cutting but it was not an objectively bad car. Even as one of the weaker Camry generations, the XV40 still is objectively a pretty good car. The XV50 is objectively a very good car, especially the refreshed XV50. I've driven all of them, so I know.

Yeah. While both Toyota and Lexus in the mid-to-late 2000s were bland, they *did* sell a lot of 'em, and XV40s are still common on the road.

Not sure how it is in the States, but you should come and see up here in Canada. XV10s, XV20s, and XV30s are all still fairly common on the roads here (as far as sedans go), not even mentioning the more modern generations.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Just curious, have you ever actually driven the XV40 or XV50 Camry sedans? Or do you simply accept everything the media says? What you're saying here is factually, absolutely flat out incorrect. Regardless of whether you personally like them or not, or if the media likes them or not, the XV40 and XV50 Camry models were (and are) very good vehicles. Now admittedly the XV40 did suffer some visible cost-cutting but it was not an objectively bad car. Even as one of the weaker Camry generations, the XV40 still is objectively a pretty good car. The XV50 is objectively a very good car, especially the refreshed XV50. I've driven all of them, so I know.

I drove too much XV40 LE rentals to have a positive impression on that car. Okay, it's a LE so terrible interior is a given. But I've driven the Asia-spec XV40 'Camry Prestige' (aka Aurion) as well. That car isn't much better either; it tries to have a premium vibe inside but all these fake wood plastic parts are of low quality. It was a notable downgrade from the XV30 (Asia-spec), which was a decent generation.

I might went too far by including the XV50. But again, an early XV50 LE rental gave me very bad impressions. The XV50 Aurion/Camry Prestige, on the other hand, is very good.

Mind you I'm using the XV10 quality as the benchmark here (best Camry ever). The XV70 is on the same level as the legend.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I drove too much XV40 LE rentals to have a positive impression on that car. Okay, it's a LE so terrible interior is a given. But I've driven the Asia-spec XV40 'Camry Prestige' (aka Aurion) as well. That car isn't much better either; it tries to have a premium vibe inside but all these fake wood plastic parts are of low quality. It was a notable downgrade from the XV30 (Asia-spec), which was a decent generation.

I might went too far by including the XV50. But again, an early XV50 LE rental gave me very bad impressions. The XV50 Aurion/Camry Prestige, on the other hand, is very good.

Mind you I'm using the XV10 quality as the benchmark here (best Camry ever). The XV70 is on the same level as the legend.

Not having a positive impression does not objectively make it a bad car. Yes it can be argued that the XV40 was/is a lukewarm car, perhaps even an average car, but by objective industry metrics it is not a bad car. Now something like the 6th gen Chevy Malibu, that is objectively a bad car. The Chrysler 200, that is a bad car.

I had a facelifted XV50 as a rental for a very extended time, an early production model at that, and it gave me an extremely positive impression.

Now if you're comparing specifically in context to the XV10, that changes things a little. Keep in mind the XV10 was a total over-engineered anomaly. It was engineered to near-Lexus levels. The XV10 was quite unusual in Camry history overall. Now yes, with the new XV70, there is some evidence that it is quite over-engineered as well. Toyota spent a huge amount of resources on the Xv70, in fact the most comparatively speaking since the XV10.

mikeavelli

Reactions
HAving now seen a ton of Accords and Camry's I think its the styling. The new Accord just looks weird and odd most times, like some Honda Malibu. The Camry might have a rough nose but the rest is damn near Italian. Its a great looking sedan.

What is crazy is I find the last generation Accord one of Honda/Acura's styling gems especially when it got the facelift.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Agreed. I liked the styling of the post-facelift previous Accord, but having now seen both the new Accord and the new Civic Type-R in real life I have to question what's going on at Honda Design.

Reactions: CIF