Honda Prelude Concept

supra93

Expert
Reactions
https://global.honda/en/newsroom/news/2023/c231025eng.html

Prelude Concept will take the “joy of driving” into the full-fledged electrified future

I have introduced some of the mobility products that embody Honda’s dreams, which represent the Honda of today and the future. But we know our customers are expecting one more thing from Honda, and that is sports models.

At the automobile electrification business briefing we held last year, I talked about future sports models. Today, to conclude my presentation, I would like to show you one of them – the specialty sports model.

Everyone, this is the Prelude Concept.

Honda has always been committed to creating sporty vehicles. And the word “prelude” means an “introductory or preceding performance.” This model will become the prelude for our future models which will inherit the “joy of driving” into the full-fledged electrified future and embody Honda’s unalterable sports mindset. The Prelude Concept is a specialty sports model that will offer exhilarating experience that makes you want to keep going forever and extraordinary excitement you never felt before.

In order to offer the “joy of driving” only Honda can realize, we are diligently progressing with development, so please keep your expectations high for this model.

honda-prelude-concept-at-japan-mobility-show.jpg

honda-prelude-concept-at-japan-mobility-show.jpg

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Side profile especially looks like the new Integra with it's body line and pumped rear fender.. wonder if it was originally conceived as an Integra Coupe before changed to Honda.

Looks good regardless, even though the front end design is very derivative of Toyota. Hope the production model has ICE too.

Figured Honda wouldn't leave the fwd Coupe market alone given the prev gen Civic Si Coupe was quite popular.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Side profile especially looks like the new Integra with it's body line and pumped rear fender.. wonder if it was originally conceived as an Integra Coupe before changed to Honda.

Looks good regardless, even though the front end design is very derivative of Toyota. Hope the production model has ICE too.

Figured Honda wouldn't leave the fwd Coupe market alone given the prev gen Civic Si Coupe was quite popular.

It’s meh. We waited 25 years for this? For a coupe to have any remote chance of success it has to be drop dead beautiful. Not okay, not average not alright. It has to stir the soul in this CUV/SUV world.

While it’s great to see a coupe concept this stirs nothing. Certainly not better than the already produced GR86/BRZ.

They tried the hybrid coupe thing with the CR-Z and while I liked it it didn’t fare well. And Honda is stuck on 200hp like it’s the year 2000 so that doesn’t bode well either.

IMG_4087.pngIMG_3846.jpeg

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yamagami refused to go into details about the mysterious hybrid powertrain, but he did suggest it won't be a hardcore track-focused sports car: "This isn't going to be the sportiest, zippiest car that's going to be tossed into the circuits."

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Will Honda ever learn from their mistakes. Did they forget one of the reasons the last Prelude flopped was because it got so conservative and boring that even Honda fans scoffed at it and wrote it off? The powertrain is probably just going to be from either the Civic hybrid or Accord hybrid and smashed into this hacked up Civic coupe body with Prius and Porsche styling cues that makes it look like a copycat car from those nameless startup car brands.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I'm confused. Is this supposed to be a BEV? Or a hybrid?

Intitial reports said BEV but Honda clarified Hybrid. So likely FWD only. Now if they put the accord hybrid engine inside you get a what 50 MPG or so coupe which is kind of a class of one.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota better give the GR Prius some serious upgrades so they can humiliate this so called Prelude.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
I find it funny that ppl in the US say Honda is better than Nissan when Toyota does whatever Honda does better, but Toyota still can't beat the GTR and faces strong competition from the Patrol.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
The GTR is an amazing sports car. The Patrol is an amazing off-road SUV. You know what the two share in common? They're both some of the oldest products in Nissan's lineup, developed during a time when Nissan was a dominent and competitive force.

Since 2013 majority of their new product launches have been cheap, uncompetitive, and downright crap. So yeah, Nissan has the GTR and Patrol but everything else in their lineup is outdone by Toyota.

mikeavelli

Reactions
GT-R is an anomaly from 2008. It destroyed everything not just Toyota. But you didn’t mention the LFA.

The Patrol is nice, I’m a fan of the Nismo, but plays a far second fiddle to the Land Cruiser.

Going back to the Prelude, my hunch is this thing is actually a civic coupe but they are calling it prelude. I doubt there is a new platform for it. Likely the same 200hp hybrid engine and fwd.

Happy for a coupe I guess but it seems instead of trying to tackle the Z, Supra or even GR86/BRZ/ MX-5 they chose not to.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
GT-R is an anomaly from 2008. It destroyed everything not just Toyota
You know what's crazy? It's still whooping ass in 2023. The Nismo easily beats the C8 Z06 off the line and almost keeps up with it from a roll. It also beats the NSX Type S. The GTR has heritage so it's not fair calling it an anomaly.
But you didn’t mention the LFA.
The LFA is in a whole different stratosphere.
The Patrol is nice, I’m a fan of the Nismo, but plays a far second fiddle to the Land Cruiser.
I concur, but if you need something that's bigger and roomier than the LC that's supremely comfortable and reliable without sacrificing off road capability it's your best bet. It also looks awesome. This is more than Honda could ever hope for. I honestly rate Mazda over them these days. Just look at this concept and then look at Mazda's.

Reactions
If they could reproduce the 1980s Prelude SI, and not change anything, I'd be 1st in line to buy one! VTEC 5sp manual! I loved those. They weren't fast, but I loved the design, and they were so fun to drive! And please, bring back the concealed headlamps!

1700406296172.png