GS300

Reactions
Hi, I have been a proud owner of 2 lexus gs300s during the past 17 years. My current GS I have owned for 12 years and it has always been maintained and serviced by Lexus, 3 Months ago I developed "gearbox problems" (it is automatic). Took the car to Lexus and they investigated it.......few weeks later they said the gearbox was defective and needed to be changed ! Gave them the go ahead for repairs and 1 week later they returned the car to my house ! However, during the drive to my house the gearbox was mis behaving and the guy said they could not deliver the car in its current state ! 4 days later they said that the new gearbox was probably defective and replaced with another gearbox......however they still have not been able to fix it. They are now looking at the ECU ! However latest update is that if they cannot repair it, they will replace the original gearbox and give me the car back without being repaired and no costs incurred..........what does anybody think of this suggestion? It has now been 2 months and to be fair they have given me a loan car free of charge........however I find it totally unacceptable to have a car returned which would only be valid as scrap with 157,000 miles on the clock !!! Mercedes, BMWs and even Ford or Opel would do a lot better !!! Any suggestions on my next move as I am not happy to take it back with the problem unresolved !!!

mikeavelli

Reactions
Things happen. Not ever car is going to last a million miles. I would leverage the issue and maybe try to get a newer one.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Things happen. Not ever car is going to last a million miles. I would leverage the issue and maybe try to get a newer one.
There are a lot of spam-like threads popping up with "new" users having one post count, they all have problems with their Lexus'. I am having a hard time taking them seriously. LE is clearly not the forum for this, CL or any other specific model forum are better suited for the technical maintenance stuff.

mikeavelli

Reactions
There are a lot of spam-like threads popping up with "new" users having one post count, they all have problems with their Lexus'. I am having a hard time taking them seriously. LE is clearly not the forum for this, CL or any other specific model forum are better suited for the technical maintenance stuff.

Yeah i mean newbs can’t expect a ton of help joining and bashing with 1 post.

dylanfoos

Follower
Reactions
With my technical background, not that you need one… But, definitely a bot generated name lol.

Reactions
I am disappointed with the reaction to my post by "the post experts".....

a) The car has covered 157,000 miles not one million, stupid comparison !
b) There is no Lexus bashing with my question just an honest enquiry, based on the facts.
c) I dont know what a bot is....
d) as a group of "experts" are you always working in this manner ?
e) I have probably owned Lexus before some of you were even born !

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I am disappointed with the reaction to my post by "the post experts".....

a) The car has covered 157,000 miles not one million, stupid comparison !
b) There is no Lexus bashing with my question just an honest enquiry, based on the facts.
c) I dont know what a bot is....
d) as a group of "experts" are you always working in this manner ?
e) I have probably owned Lexus before some of you were even born !
sorry if that is the case. even if the policy is not to link other forums, for your specific question there are more appropriate forums that will provide better help. and as @mikeavelli said, “things happen”.

Reactions
My original post was not aimed at the GS300 (which is a super car) my question is targeted at the current Lexus thinking for older model support (or lack of) and made the point that for a model that is only 17 years old and maintained by Lexus throughout should be able to handle 157,000 miles.

There was no need for stupid and ridiculous remarks !!!

Reactions
Thank you for understanding the point that I was making, I still dont know where the saga will end.

After 2 months my car is still with Lexus, the gearbox has been changed twice (now gearbox number 3) and the ECU has been given a clean bill of health !

They are taking the car through more tests next week and I wait for further information !!!

My hope is that they are not cutting off support levels as the car is far too good to be taken for scrap......

Reactions
Update for anyone who is interested !

The car has now been with Lexus for over 3 months and 3 gearboxes, differentials, ECUs etc etc the fault still has not been isolated !

I not complaining about the effort that Lexus are making to fix the problem but I am bewildered how it can take so long to trace the fault.....

As I understand it, the situation is now with Lexus HQ in Brussels, the good news is that I have been given a hybrid X250 for the whole period but I have to admit I much prefer my GS300.......

Reactions
That is a big part of the problem......it is still unknown if it is mechanical or electrical !

I am very happy that it is with Lexus, as the workshop manager has told me that whatever the time and efforts involved, the eventual bill will be no higher than the original quote !

After over 3 months involvement I was concerned that the bill would be astronomical.......