Gecko's 2023 Tacoma Purchase Thread

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Hi All,

So that I don't spam up the 2024 Tacoma thread, I figured I'd start one here for those who care: I just placed an order for a 2023 Tacoma that should arrive late next month.

I bought a new house late in 2021 and then started an (almost) year long renovation in Feb of last year, so if you've been through this process yourself, you know it can be pretty rough on your vehicle depending on the scope of the renovation. For me, it's inside and outside, so a lot of Home Depot/Lowes runs as well as plant nurseries, grills, stuff to move and transport, etc. All of that has taken a bit of a toll on the GX and I've seen a growing need for a truck, though I was hoping for an IS 500 or LC 500 as the third car in our house.

... So I ordered a Tacoma, and it's an addition to the driveway, not a replacement! You might ask why I ordered the current generation when the next (fourth) gen will be shown tomorrow, but there are two main reasons for that:
  • Preference for a V6 vs. a 4cyl, even if it's turbo or turbo hybrid... especially considering the new Tundra's track record with powertrain reliability
  • Prices for a lot of the new Toyota BOF products have been going way up and from what I've heard, next gen midsize BOF products are no different. Getting a truck for utility, I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest, all-new platform, all-new powertrains, etc. I am getting the "immediately family of an associate" discount which makes this appealing now.
I first built and submitted an order for a Limited 4x4 in Magnetic Gray with Hickory leather, mostly because I wanted the hickory leather. However, I dug a little more into resale values and options and decided to switch my order (as of today) to:

TRD Off-Road 4x4
Double Cab, 5ft bed
Lunar Rock exterior
Black leather interior
  • Off Road Premium Package: Leather interior, JBL audio, Navigation, LED headlights with LED daytime running lights
  • Advanced Technology Package: Multi-Terrain Monitor with Panoramic View, color keyed bumpers and side view mirrors
  • Offroad tire upgrade
Should pretty much look like this:

jmt8ti8nj9081.jpg

Order has been confirmed and should be here in about 6 weeks, so I'll post updates when it arrives. Also looking forward to seeing the '24 and learning how it improves on the 3rd gen!

Reactions
I first built and submitted an order for a Limited 4x4 in Magnetic Gray with Hickory leather, mostly because I wanted the hickory leather. However, I dug a little more into resale values and options and decided to switch my order (as of today) to:

TRD Off-Road 4x4
Double Cab, 5ft bed
Lunar Rock exterior
Black leather interior
  • Off Road Premium Package: Leather interior, JBL audio, Navigation, LED headlights with LED daytime running lights
  • Advanced Technology Package: Multi-Terrain Monitor with Panoramic View, color keyed bumpers and side view mirrors
  • Offroad tire upgrade
Great choice! My friend wanted this exact config Tacoma last year (Lunar Rock 7544 with the same packages), but the dealer wasn't able to get an allocation in time because of the demand for the Premium Package'd models. He decided to get a Model 3 instead in which he took delivery in less than 3 months. :rolleyes:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Dang - I was a bit worried about being able to get an allocation before production ends, but I feel lucky now. How is he liking the 3?

Reactions
Dang - I was a bit worried about being able to get an allocation before production ends, but I feel lucky now. How is he liking the 3?
I believe his order took so long because the dealer was the only MSRP in the area at the time and the list there was miles long, but had he gone out of state to another store, he probably would've gotten it during 2022. He actually wanted to order a manual Off-Road, but was told it would be almost impossible to get an allocation (Turns out that the auto was the same).

Anyway, he's loving his 3...His intention was to put it on Turo, but given all the recent negative experiences that many owners are experiencing putting their cars there, he just uses it to drive Ubereats certain nights of the week after work or for fun (like playing GTA), where his average is about $100 for a few hours of driving. Pays for the charging and then some, which for a ICE would be a money losing proposition in congested Southern California.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
Congrats @Gecko !

It’s on this ocasiona I see how heterogeneous the car market is… I would hardly buy a new car in the end of production life and you (and @Tragic Bronson friends) did the exact opposite.
It’s not easy for a car manufacturer indeed 🙂

How does someone who is looking into a Tacoma ends up in a Model 3?
Quite the difference between them 😅

Reactions
How does someone who is looking into a Tacoma ends up in a Model 3?
Quite the difference between them 😅
The Tacoma was more of a fun want...the fact that it took forever, his decision to get a Model 3 was more of a business move and so far its not a bad ROI on his end, since UberEats gives him some extra play money and covers some of the car note, as I doubt any ICE vehicle would be as practical to do this in LA.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
What do you plan to do with that notorious transmission? Do you plan to do a chip tune?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What do you plan to do with that notorious transmission? Do you plan to do a chip tune?

Haha, at the moment... hoping and praying? Over the years I've driven some Tacomas with normal transmissions and some that are awful, so we'll see how I shake out in terms of luck. It seems the later models (2022s and 2023s) have a slightly higher satisfaction rate, so my fingers are crossed for now.

If it's bad, I might consider the OTT tune.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
My dad has mentioned a few times how he really likes the transmission in his '22 Tacoma. Surprised me considering all the hate it gets online.

Last edited:

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I’ve heard that driving with ECT engaged helps the shifting in the Tacoma and the transmission doesn’t hunt as much. I had a 2nd gen 4Runner that I kept ECT engaged, and it helped the shifting immensely.

Also, just FYI, Magnusen makes supercharger kits for the Tacoma. 😁

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My dad has mentioned a few times how he really likes the transmission in his '22 Tacoma. Surprised me considering all the hate it gets online.

Good to hear! This is consistent with what I've read too. A lot of folks with the later models complain about constant shifting in cruise control, but any modern 6+ speed automatic does that exact same thing in my experience.

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
So you're gonna keep BOTH the GX and Taco? do you have another vehicle in the family, like for your significant other?