Future Forecast: The Lexus CT Hatchback

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I just read over the entire Just-Auto Lexus predictions posted this past October. The CT section contains what I believe to be a particular egregious error: that the 2nd-gen CT would be built on the TNGA-K platform. This is the largest of Toyota (and Daihatsu's) four transverse-engined, front-wheel-drive-centric New Generation Architectures. In other words, the "Camry" platform, also used on even larger vehicles such as Toyota Avalon, Highlander and Sienna, plus Lexus' ES and RX.

The current CT was built on the New MC platform, whose successor is TNGA-C, to date used only on 4th-gen Prius and C-HR.

Last edited:
Reactions
Yeah, but it's not my job to sell them. I'm just a hatchback admirer. :kissing_heart:
My dad got a CT loaner for a day when the RX was serviced and I got a ride (didn't drive since I couldn't), it felt very Priusy but with a nicer wrapper. Yeah hb's are cooler to look at than a sedan (HS for example), but I get it, with how much car sales have declined this year, the CT was the easiest one to say goodbye to.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Yeah hb's are cooler to look at than a sedan (HS for example), but I get it, with how much car sales have declined this year, the CT was the easiest one to say goodbye to.

The current CT was at the end of it's model cycle (7 years) so it's sales will definitely decline just like any other car at the end of it's model cycle. Just like the current LS, it's sales have been declining as well. The CT (2018) still lives on outside North America and maybe one day it will come back with a vengeance...I'm still thinking CT 250h, CT 300h or CT 300...

I have an HS, not sure why it was used as an example as not cooler to look at than a CT...

Reactions
The current CT was at the end of it's model cycle (7 years) so it's sales will definitely decline just like any other car at the end of it's model cycle. Just like the current LS, it's sales have been declining as well. The CT (2018) still lives on outside North America and maybe one day it will come back with a vengeance...I'm still thinking CT 250h, CT 300h or CT 300...

I have an HS, not sure why it was used as an example as not cooler to look at than a CT...
I always thought the HS we had was frumpy to look at, and the sales reflected its acceptance in the marketplace. Between the two, the CT is easier to look at, but that's just me, and I'm sure your HS has given nothing but trouble free driving like all Lexuses (sorry as an enthusiast, its not as exciting as a F model).

But yeah, the CT is at the end of its cycle, and perfect timing, its going to be replaced by a crossover here. It has been on the market as long as the GX (Wow you own all of them!) but of course, we know the cycle of trucks are longer than cars, but it sort of feels unbelievable that it is selling so well for an 'old' platform.

For other markets, there's still a good chance that a second gen CT would come, but I think it depends on the market in Europe: If their market goes full retard SUV/crossover, then perhaps the UX will succeed its place in the lineup.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

Saw an HS 250h yesterday, and instantly wanted one. I was never one to hate on the design.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I always thought the HS we had was frumpy to look at, and the sales reflected its acceptance in the marketplace. Between the two, the CT is easier to look at, but that's just me, and I'm sure your HS has given nothing but trouble free driving like all Lexus vehicles (sorry as an enthusiast, its not as exciting as a F model).

One must understand the HS or CT wasn't designed to be an F model. No the CT can't go as fast or faster than the LFA and no the CT doesn't have as much or more room than the LX. Once that is understood that's half the battle. I for one understand what the CT and HS is and I'm not going to go into all the details of what the CT and HS is designed for. The HS is currently sold in Japan and has the current spindle grill and looks amazing...

But yeah, the CT is at the end of its cycle, and perfect timing, its going to be replaced by a crossover here. It has been on the market as long as the GX (Wow you own all of them!) but of course, we know the cycle of trucks are longer than cars, but it sort of feels unbelievable that it is selling so well for an 'old' platform.

Yes I do own the GX and I love it. I'm very sure I can easily go 400K-500K miles. Toyota had a motto "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The GX and LX work extremely well and not sure why you keep stating that's it's 'old'. It seems like you want a 2060 Lexus in 2018. Heck let's have the LX powered by a warp core fueled by dilithium crystals and capable of warp 10 because warp 9 is way too slow...

Please don't turn LE into ClubLexus where most of it's members don't even own a Lexus and post negatively and bash Lexus. Do you even own a Lexus?

For other markets, there's still a good chance that a second gen CT would come, but I think it depends on the market in Europe: If their market goes full retard SUV/crossover, then perhaps the UX will succeed its place in the lineup.

The UX and CT can coexist. Just look at BMW, there's tons of overlap between the X1, 3 Series wagon and 3 Series GT...I could on and on with other luxury makes as well. You'll probably knock down the UX since it will be based off the Toyota CH-R and you probably won't drive it because it will feel CH-Rsy but with a nice wrapper. Please, if you're not happy with Lexus please don't come here and knock down the lower level Lexus models go to ClubLexus and bash and make all the negative comments about Lexus all you want. You're negative statements of certain Lexus models is borderline offending me.

Back in the 70's turtlenecks were very popular with a gold chain around the neck topped it off and as for the fanny packs, I had one when I was twelve years old but I'm past that now...

Reactions
One must understand the HS or CT wasn't designed to be an F model. No the CT can't go as fast or faster than the LFA and no the CT doesn't have as much or more room than the LX. Once that is understood that's half the battle. I for one understand what the CT and HS is and I'm not going to go into all the details of what the CT and HS is designed for. The HS is currently sold in Japan and has the current spindle grill and looks amazing...

Please don't turn LE into ClubLexus where most of it's members don't even own a Lexus and post negatively and bash Lexus. Do you even own a Lexus?

The UX and CT can coexist. Just look at BMW, there's tons of overlap between the X1, 3 Series wagon and 3 Series GT...I could on and on with other luxury makes as well. You'll probably knock down the UX since it will be based off the Toyota CH-R and you probably won't drive it because it will feel CH-Rsy but with a nice wrapper. Please, if you're not happy with Lexus please don't come here and knock down the lower level Lexus models go to ClubLexus and bash and make all the negative comments about Lexus all you want. You're negative statements of certain Lexus models is borderline offending me.
You need to understand that I can be critical but also understanding, so you shouldn't feel offended at all because I never PUT down your ownership of either car. I've been on CL but don't go on there much anymore other than the Chat page because I like all cars and not just ones sold by the Big L or T. I'm not bashing Lexus, we've got 2 in my family (my folks are near retirement), with the recent a 2017 ESh that I was appalled that my dad bought it when I was out of town for work.

I get it, Lexus is still a luxury brand first and foremost. I'm just pointing out facts that the HS wasn't successful saleswise as the brand's first dedicated hybrid. Not that it is a bad car, it just didn't resonate well with American buyers as it did with those in Japan (Cultural perhaps?). It didn't do anything for me. The CT was better received, but its sales got hit hard the last few years as well but it finished its cycle, but likely due to the crossover boom to besides being in a niche segment.

As for the UX, it will be another right vehicle at the right time. Toyota timed the release of the C-HR perfectly, but we're stuck to one drivetrain and a monospec feature list thanks to Scion, which hobbles the car IMO, but if Toyota can sell all they can make, cool (RAV and Highlander are on fire). With the UX, it is in a hot segment so it will add to the money printing for the brand to offset the car side. The future of the CT (once they stop selling the current one for its remaining markets) will probably hinge on Europe too if the market for hatches is still viable, and then will they consider offering one again here in the States.

I am becoming more of an enthusiast of cars but a previous Toyota fanboy before. I just think a lot of owners swear off a lot of cars just because of reliability, but that's debatable and a YMMV thing in another discussion. I just think my next car I buy may not be a Toyota product, but it seems that a lot of owners here will not buy another brand anymore (prerogative, but as an enthusiast I find it hard to stay loyal).

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Let's move on from this -- I don't think any offense was meant, and we can chalk this up to a minor misunderstanding.

And both of @Tragic Bronson & @Trexus need to put a dollar in the CL jar. :cold_sweat: