Ford Kills the Escape, Edge and Transit Connect

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Ford killing the Escape seems wild to me since it was once one of their best selling models, but the Escape has been sliding backwards in sales YoY for a while now. Wasn't it once the top selling small SUV?

Edge seems to have been living on borrowed time with multiple rumors of its death over the years.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
Ford can't sell the Lightning because it's too expensive. I can't see a single Ford Escape buyer being able to afford a Ford EV replacement, you know it's going to be $10K+ more expensive....

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Transit connect is a very popular small van, for taxi and car uses, it makes no sense for them to kill it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I agree with you guys, though I am most surprised by the Escape. I wonder if the Bronco Sport has cannibalized Escape sales?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The writing's been on the wall for the Edge, but I'm really surprised about the Escape and Transit Connect. You see those everywhere.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Ford's making a big mistake abandoning the volume sellers segment, for more profitable and lower volume models.

It'll be great in the short run, but will hurt them in the long run. The positives are they sell less cars for more money, negatives being market share loss.

Reactions
The issue with Ford is that they're going way too far into the deep end on models that are "trendy and exciting" while forgetting about their bread and butter cars. Them fervently ditching sedans in favor of tin can CUVs is one of the biggest errors anyone could make, and that is only second to their willingness to swiftly forego ICE vehicles in favor of heavy, expensive, and unreliable EVs that are pushing away their loyal buyer base, in an effort chase record profits that will only really benefit them in the short term.

A pertinent reason I love Toyota is that they take a pragmatic approach with their lineup. They build fun and exciting cars that people are seeking out but they don't ditch out on segments that still have some buyers. They truly don't leave anyone behind.

This will bite Ford back in the ass.

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I don't know the sales numbers but I suspect that Ford could kill off everything but the F-Series and still be OK. That's their bread and butter, truly.

I prefer Toyota's strategy of having lots of different products for lots of different customers.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I don't know the sales numbers but I suspect that Ford could kill off everything but the F-Series and still be OK. That's their bread and butter, truly.

I prefer Toyota's strategy of having lots of different products for lots of different customers.
I like this way of thinking. Let them only build F150s and Mustangs.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I find it surprising that Ford would give up its high-selling, profitable models, like the Transit Connect and the Escape/Kuga, even if they are petroleum-powered. (The current Edge is getting old.)

But I suspect that the Escape/Kuga and certainly the Transit Connect will be replaced by electric models. All European automakers -- Ford included -- are busy working on EV versions of their light commercial vehicles, of which the Transit Connect is a key model.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I find it surprising that Ford would give up its high-selling, profitable models, like the Transit Connect and the Escape/Kuga, even if they are petroleum-powered. (The current Edge is getting old.)

But I suspect that the Escape/Kuga and certainly the Transit Connect will be replaced by electric models. All European automakers -- Ford included -- are busy working on EV versions of their light commercial vehicles, of which the Transit Connect is a key model.
EV commercial vehicles don't work for smaller businesses.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
EV commercial vehicles don't work for smaller businesses.
EVs work perfectly for inner city delivery operations that do frequent stops and drive less than 100km a day and can be slow AC charged at off-peak hours. Not to mention their ability to run refrigeration for very long time unlike ICEVs that waste a ton of fuel for refrigeration. And abundant V2L capacity for running electric appliances for ambulances and food trucks etc. It's literally the optimal operating condition for BEVs. It is one area where ICEVs won't exist at all in the next 5 years.

Then why are all European automakers working to electrify their small (Transit Connect-sized) LCVs?
And the HiAce will be BEV for the next generation as well. Their power, range and charging speed disadvantage in the BZ series won't matter at all and they actually have a very good selling point with durability.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
EVs work perfectly for inner city delivery operations that do frequent stops and drive less than 100km a day and can be slow AC charged at off-peak hours. Not to mention their ability to run refrigeration for very long time unlike ICEVs that waste a ton of fuel for refrigeration. And abundant V2L capacity for running electric appliances for ambulances and food trucks etc. It's literally the optimal operating condition for BEVs. It is one area where ICEVs won't exist at all in the next 5 years.

And the HiAce will be BEV for the next generation as well. Their power, range and charging speed disadvantage in the BZ series won't matter at all and they actually have a very good selling point with durability.
That is not the feedback that is heard from BEV van operators.