For Mazda Miata fans, a new RF version is available.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
For Mazda Miata fans...a new RF version is available.

https://www.mazda.ca/en/vehicles/2017-mx-5-rf/overview/

2017-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-RF-on-stage-top-up.jpg

(Disclaimer: This is NOT my video)

For those of you who love the always-fun-to-drive (except in snow) Mazda Miata (though entry/exit and ergonomics can be a little difficult for persons my size), a new RF (Retractable Fastback) version is now available. Unfortunately, it seems only available on the Mazda version, and not on the Miata's Fiat 124 Spyder clone (the Spyder, IMO, overall, is better-looking than the Miata, and would benefit even more from that styling).

The RF differs sharply from the Miata's power-retractable hardtop option in that it has a rigidly-attached overhead structure (which should help the rigidity of the body structure as compared to the convertible), with swept B-pillars that imitate a classic semi-tunnel-effect fastback....somewhat similar to the late-60s Dodge Chargers, for those of you who remember them. The center of the roof folds back, with a power mechanism, and disappears, while the side-fairings pop back up in place, creating a semi-convertible Targa effect. Interesting design......but, as I see it, but, unless one has limited use of his or her arms and hands (such as with arthritis) or parks in high-crime areas where it is easy to slash the soft-top open with a knife, I think the original soft-top version, with its manual, ingeniously-simple-to-operate roof mechanism, still makes the most sense for a typical buyer.

I'm going back to the D.C. Auto Show Friday for probably my last day there this year (the Mazda display is among those I have not seen yet), and I hope to see one in person. The Mazda reps will probably have some updates on its availability.

And, as Always.......Happy Car Shopping.
hello.gif

MM

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks, I wonder how we fit inside :D

It's certainly no Suburban, but a little better (not much) than in the past. Each redesign has added a small amount to cabin space....but tall people, with the top up, still have to scoot the bottom of the seat cushion forward so the seat back will rake enough for their heads to lower and clear the top....the top-strorage compartment, behind the seats, prevents a normal rake and cushion angle for tall people. It's easier with the soft top, of course, if your head does touch the roof, since the soft material gives. Your legs, with nowhere else to go, end up somewhat splayed-outward around the edge of the steering wheel. But, if you practice for a minute or two, it's possible to safely drive the car that way, even with the manual transmission and clutch pedal....I've done long enough test-drives in Miatas for MM full-reviews. And one of your former tall colleagues (I'm sure you will remember him) had one...he was around 6' 3" and drove it every day before he sold it. From what you've told us, though, I understand you are around 6' 4", which adds another inch.....so, you might be better off with the soft-top, just in case there is no practical way to avoid hitting the roof on the hardtop models.