krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2021-09-09-lexus-is-500-review-hero.jpg

What’s in a name?
When Lexus took the wraps off the 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance earlier this year, it raised more questions than it answered primarily because of what it was called. We are accustomed to F SPORT products – aka the sporty upgrade trim available on most every model – as well as the F products that deliver the high end of performance under the Lexus umbrella. Enthusiasts struggled to define what “F SPORT Performance” meant, and we even reached out to Lexus for clarification. The answer is that F SPORT Performance is a new mid-tier performance level and the 2022 IS 500 is the first product to wear the badge.
2021-09-09-lexus-is-f-sport-500-badge.jpg

Of course, the inevitable comparisons to the original IS F and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
It’s light, it’s athletic, it’s extremely fast and it’s gorgeous.

I realize this was written before the test weights were out. The test weights are actually between 3960 lbs and 3980 lbs (C&D, MT and SG test weights).

The RC F might be the IS 500’s closest living relative, but there are some things that do make the IS 500 inherently better: it has a touchscreen, feels more balanced, rides better on broken pavement. The IS is just better behaved and more well rounded.

Not to sound biased, but keeping things in perspective here. The FR chassis balance (if that is what is being referenced) is better on the RCF owing to the longer GS hood placing more of the V8 behind the axle. On the flip side, RCF is a tad heavier as expected because of the wider wheels, tires, BBK, beefier suspension/chassis, coolers, F-seats (70 lbs each) etc.

RCFWD.png

IS500WD.png

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think Lexus delivered exactly what's promised: a daily drivable IS with a V8 engine. It solves the single biggest complaint with the otherwise wonderful 3.5IS. Unlike another Japanese brand that hyped a mediocre slow whale to be a speed demon.

Reactions
I think Lexus delivered exactly what's promised: a daily drivable IS with a V8 engine. It solves the single biggest complaint with the otherwise wonderful 3.5IS. Unlike another Japanese brand that hyped a mediocre slow whale to be a speed demon.

People have been dogging the IS500 for not being as fast as it should be while they COMPLETELY miss the point of this car. And that's to be fun.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
People have been dogging the IS500 for not being as fast as it should be while they COMPLETELY miss the point of this car. And that's to be fun.

Agreed. Some people are more interested in continuously comparing numbers of an old car to a new car just to make themselves feel better. Most F owners have never driven their car on a real race track, yet they continue to drive the point that their car is superior. IS 500 F SPORT Performance is exactly what most people need, and with the right mods, it will outperform any stock F (outside of LFA).

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Agreed. Some people are more interested in continuously comparing numbers of an old car to a new car just to make themselves feel better. Most F owners have never driven their car on a real race track, yet they continue to drive the point that their car is superior. IS 500 F SPORT Performance is exactly what most people need, and with the right mods, it will outperform any stock F (outside of LFA).

Does that criticism include me? If so, I would really like to hear and set the record straight on this.

Last edited:
Reactions
Uh oh...... 👀

I hope he meant well. However I am going to take this opportunity to go on a different tangent.

Shade is such a childish thing to do on forums, especially on such an amazing forum like Lexus Enthusiast. That's literally the reason why Carmaker1 left our forums, because some of you idiots chose to make snide comments to someone who was so kind enough to give us information, and without it we would have been left in the dark.

Not to bring down the work of guys like Mike, Krew, and Michael (Gecko), because y'all have contributed to the forums we know of today, but to me, Carmaker1 was the one who truly made this place bubbling over with metric tons of information and he made the forums feel alive, and people pushed him away. Carmaker1 is the literal reason why I joined Lexus Enthusiast, because his massive wealth of knowledge.

I have tried to tell him to stay because he's truly loved, but he thought it was better to leave for good.

If you guys have something to say about someone, stop trying to be an edgy keyboard warrior and have the balls to talk to each other directly. You're not even in person to experience that first-hand cringe, just say what you feel, but be respectful. It's not that hard.

This community is such a great community as we come from all walks of life and we come here to bicker about Lexus. 😂

Let's not ruin it by throwing shade at each other.

Last edited:
Reactions
One reviewer made a very perceptive point, that the IS500 F-Sport is the second coming of the E90 M3 except much more reliable. When I heard it, something clicked inside my brain and I realized that's pretty accurate : NA V8, pure RWD, LSD, not a hardcore track car but sublime on the streets and canyon carving. The similarities are uncanny.
Review in question :

The implications are that the IS500 F-Sport is going to be a future classic and those sincere driving enthusiasts with the budget (and not the internet warriors ) should run, not walk to buy the IS500.

Reactions
Hey Micheal, thanks for the review. You or anyone have any insider knowledge to how many possible model years might be built with the V8 or finial build numbers?
I am worried that if its only for 2022 or the numbers are not plenty enough, I might not be able to find one when I am ready to get one.
I have a feeling its going to be more sought after as time goes by.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Does that criticism include me? If so, I would really like to hear and set the record straight on this.
I’m going to say no. A lot of crap people said on Facebook groups. I’ve gotten into it with quite a few F owners. God forbid I own a lowly LC that’s not a F lol. I think you are more than a great contributor and you own a RC F.

I don’t event every F owner to be in love with the 500 but I would like people to keep an open mind. Lexus has never ever said this is a F.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Hey Micheal, thanks for the review. You or anyone have any insider knowledge to how many possible model years might be built with the V8 or finial build numbers?
I am worried that if its only for 2022 or the numbers are not plenty enough, I might not be able to find one when I am ready to get one.
I have a feeling its going to be more sought after as time goes by.

You have approximately three model years ;)

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I’m going to say no. A lot of crap people said on Facebook groups. I’ve gotten into it with quite a few F owners. God forbid I own a lowly LC that’s not a F lol. I think you are more than a great contributor and you own a RC F.

I don’t event every F owner to be in love with the 500 but I would like people to keep an open mind. Lexus has never ever said this is a F.

Thanks man. Appreciate your support. Means a lot. LC500 is an amazing halo Lexus and you are lucky to own this marvel so it serves its own purpose as the halo car for the brand. That is what I always hope to convey that every car serves its intended purpose.

Last edited: