JustADude

Follower
Reactions
The way I understand it, e-TNGA is the all-new platform, designed especially for BEVs; it can handle FWD. RWD or AWD, and stretched or shrunk to fit compact vehicles, like the IS EV or bZ2, bZ3; mid-size vehicles, like the RZ or bZ4X; or large vehicles, like the LS EV.
Toyota said by then they will have more platforms for different vehicles, so likely LS will have its own platform, and not e-tnga hence me saying it could have new/old platform and tech

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
BestCar is suggesting the IS EV rear motor will be a torque-vectoring twin-motor setup, similar to Porsche Taycan/eTron GT.

Also I came across this amusingly critic track test video of the i4 M50. The uploader is a semi-pro channel in China focusing on track performance of all kinds of cars. As expected you can't expect to add 475kg to a 3 series and expect good things to happen. The front tires and pads are completely destroyed in just 2 laps (less than 3 minutes). It isn't even that great on the straights because it doesn't have any stopping power and has to brake very early. Mind you this is basically a M340i that is heavier than the heaviest LS500.
i4.png
For reference here are some 'slow' cars with similar lap times:
TM3 Performance (57.58)
Elantra N (57.68)
GR 86/BRZ (58.66)
Honda Fit K20A swap (59.81)
GT 86/BRZ (1:00.50)
330i (1:00.70)

So unless BMW comes out with a Neue Klasse remodel before 2025 we might see the IS EV absolutely destroy the i4.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
It’s pretty bad if Lexus launches a BEV built in a dedicated platform that’s worse than a ICE conversion that’s on sale 3~4 years before…

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It’s pretty bad if Lexus launches a BEV built in a dedicated platform that’s worse than a ICE conversion that’s on sale 3~4 years before…
I don't see this happening, however many times we might feel disappointed by Lexus. To be fair TMC does not release "worse than old", only "better than old" while many expect "better than new" --- if you understand what I mean.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
According to the BMW apologists CLAR was already a multipurpose design such that it can accommodate EV, ICEV, PHEV, and HEV and the I4 is the best driving EV sedan even with its 400 kg disadvantage over say a model 3 performance.

Also BMW apologists CLAR had a significant weight advantage when it launched in the 2015 7 series over the competition.

Lets just cleverly forget how insignificant that weight advantage was or the fact that when the 7 series EV was considered for launch in 2015 it was 900kgs too heavy and deemed unfit for market or the fact that i4 had to heavily revise CLAR just to get to the current state and will basically be a one hit wonder, replaced by neue klasse.

/end rant

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
CLAR and other very lightweight German car platforms relied heavily on aluminum. This is hardly an innovation but rather the result of cheap aluminum enabled by cheap Russian gas. Building aluminum structure is much more energy intensive than HS steel structures, so aluminum prices is much more volatile than steel prices during times of expensive energy. That's why you don't see Japanese carmakers use nearly as much aluminum in their new generation platforms (they mostly use aluminum for panels, not structures).

There is simply no good 'multipurpose' platform design that works well with ICEV PHEV and BEV simply because BEVs rely on the structural rigidity of the battery pack to be crashworthy. That's why I'm also skeptical about Toyota's own E3 structure.

Reactions
This move towards electric vehicles reflects a significant shift in the automotive industry towards sustainability. Pushing the release to 2025 to align with the brand's decision to go full-electric is a bold move, but it shows Lexus's commitment to embracing the future of transportation. I'm particularly intrigued by the possibility of the IS F making a comeback in EV form. It'll be interesting to see how Lexus combines performance with electric powertrain technology. I'll definitely keep an eye out for more updates on the electric Lexus IS sedan. Thanks for sharing, and I'll be sure to check out more car reviews on invoice-pricing for further insights!

Last edited by a moderator:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I wonder how much the LBX methodology of smaller != less expensive will seep into an electrified IS and they take it up market?

Flagship1

Fan
Reactions
I wonder how much the LBX methodology of smaller != less expensive will seep into an electrified IS and they take it up market?
I dont think their is a market for a more expensive electrified entry level sedan under any marque. I think the market as a whole wants equivalents and choice; sell me one model of vehicle with different powertrain setups that I dont have to think about or plan my next trip.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
My dream car would be an IS AWD BEV with solid state battery ( coming 2027/2028? ) and torque vectoring (even if via clutch pack or an e-differential; I don't need a third motor for more power and $$).

I'm happy to wait the battery evolution out.

No BEVs for me if they have liquid electrolyte batteries. Seems calendar aging effect is real across the board, LFP included, and not matters much more than cyclic aging (where LFP shines).