Damage from Hurricane Harvey may affect the fuel-market.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Due to damage to refineries and supply-lines in Southeast Texas (and possibly Southwest Louisiana) from Hurricane Harvey and its flooding aftermath, don't be surprised if this causes at least a temporary shortage in fuel-supply, and a spike in pump-prices. While some price increases, of course, may come naturally from supply-and-demand, no one should use a public disaster like this to price-gouge and profiteer off a suffering public. Indeed, a number of states have Hot-Lines for use after disasters like this, to report actual or suspected price-gouging by station owners. In my state (Virginia), the line will connect to a representative from the State Attorney General's office, who will look into the matter, investigate, and take legal action if necessary.

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
Prices in the Charlotte, NC area have increased nearly 30 cents per gallon since Harvey made landfall.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Prices in the Charlotte, NC area have increased nearly 30 cents per gallon since Harvey made landfall.

What are they running in your area, on average? And is this all over the Charlotte area, or just at a few stations? If it keeps going up, particularly at just a few stations, it might be time to ring up the Hot Line.

It will be interesting to see, if anything, what happens in California.....for several different reasons, they have expensive enough fuel as it is.

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
What are they running in your area, on average? And is this all over the Charlotte area, or just at a few stations? If it keeps going up, particularly at just a few stations, it might be time to ring up the Hot Line.

It will be interesting to see, if anything, what happens in California.....for several different reasons, they have expensive enough fuel as it is.

Before Harvey, prices for regular (87) was hovering around $2.00 a gallon. South of Charlotte would be $1.97-2.05 and northern Charlotte was around $2.20, which is totally normal. This afternoon, my south Charlotte location was $2.39 and north Charlotte was $2.59.

Edit: As for how many stations, it seemed that every station I saw regardless of the brand had similar price jumps.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Before Harvey, prices for regular (87) was hovering around $2.00 a gallon. South of Charlotte would be $1.97-2.05 and northern Charlotte was around $2.20, which is totally normal. This afternoon, my south Charlotte location was $2.39 and north Charlotte was $2.59.

Edit: As for how many stations, it seemed that every station I saw regardless of the brand had similar price jumps.

I agree that is a significant jump, price-wise, in terms of percentage, but it is still in the same range as here in the D.C. area, where 87 octane runs around $2.40 $2.50 or so....a little more in some places. Here, in this area, BTW, we have NOT seen a spike in pump-prices since the storm hit...the $2.40 range or so is what it has been for months.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
BTW, we have NOT seen a spike in pump-prices since the storm hit...the $2.40 range or so is what it has been for months.

I have to amend that. Just in the last 24 hours, I did see a (roughly) 10-cent spike in my neighborhood on Shell 87-octane. That's not a terribly big jump, but it is not a good sign....and the next few days will bear watching.

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
My south Charlotte location went up to $2.59 yesterday from $2.39 earlier in the week.