Daihatsu Vision Copen Concept

supra93

Expert
Reactions
https://www.daihatsu.com/news/2023/20231006-2.html

VISION COPEN
~Pursuing the joy and fun of driving while maintaining the easygoing nature of the COPEN~

Embodying staying close to the joy of driving
A convertible that evolves the DNA of the COPEN, which is the joy of driving in harmony with the wind.
Experience the joy and fun of open-air driving with a well-honed design and mobility performance.

• This new compact sports convertible offers the ultimate in driving joy by combining an front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout with an internal combustion engine capable of using CN fuel, while inheriting the universal styling reminiscent of the first-generation COPEN and the electrified open/close Active Top roof.
  • Length × width × height: 3,835 mm x 1,695 mm x 1,265 mm; Wheelbase: 2,415 mm; Engine displacement: 1,300 cc

daihatsu-vision-copen.jpg

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
The reactions that I've seen from the Japanese side has been very positive. It would be quite unexpected and amazing if this is what the next gen Copen will be like, no longer being held back by the constraints of being a Kei car and switching from FWD to RWD.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The chassis of these supermini cars can't handle anywhere close to that much power. They are designed to be as cheap and light as possible and can only sell in regions with low safety requirements.

Kei cars are fun but not what people imagine them to be.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The chassis of these supermini cars can't handle anywhere close to that much power. They are designed to be as cheap and light as possible and can only sell in regions with low safety requirements.

In Western Europe there are so many old daily’s that are no safer than Kei cars….

Reactions

This is about the same size as a Miata. The Miata has ~185 horsepower.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This is about the same size as a Miata. The Miata has ~185 horsepower.
It has nothing to do with size. Try to kick a kei car and you'll know how fragile it is (I don't recommend doing it).

The Miazta is engineered to reach a 4/5 Euro NCAP score while most of these JDM superminis can barely get 1/5. If they had 200hp their chassis will disintegrate in a couple thousand kilometers.

Reactions
It has nothing to do with size. Try to kick a kei car and you'll know how fragile it is (I don't recommend doing it).

The Miazta is engineered to reach a 4/5 Euro NCAP score while most of these JDM superminis can barely get 1/5. If they had 200hp their chassis will disintegrate in a couple thousand kilometers.

Okay but Daihatsu isn't classifying this as a kei car anymore and neither is it being built as a kei car. I'm not sure if I'm catching your drift.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Daihatsu Vision Copen
Wheelbase - 2,415 mm
Length - 3,835 mm
Width - 1,695 mm
Height - 1,265 mm

Toyota S-FR
Wheelbase - 2,480 mm
Length - 3,990 mm
Width - 1,695 mm
Height - 1,320 mm

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
1696906752150.png
1696906940480.png
This was from over 30 years ago, the 1991 Daihatsu X-021.

- Fiberglass body, aluminium space frame chassis
- Double wishbone pushrod suspension
- 1.6L SOHC 16V inline-4 making 140ps (138hp)
- Weighs just 1545 lbs

2 working prototypes have been shown to the public, the bluish silver one on the top and a yellow one, R&T even had a chance to drive the yellow one and came away pretty impressed.

And of course, Japan's economy collapsed and all of these wild projects went straight into the scrap bin. The post bubble economy collapse Daihatsus are really dreadful though, usually worse to drive and slower than their direct competitors, mainly relying on Toyota's name, reputation, marketing and sales network to sell well.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Daihatsu Vision Copen
Wheelbase - 2,415 mm
Length - 3,835 mm
Width - 1,695 mm
Height - 1,265 mm

Toyota S-FR
Wheelbase - 2,480 mm
Length - 3,990 mm
Width - 1,695 mm
Height - 1,320 mm
Same width, must be the same car. Has nothing to do with Kei car.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Looks like a morph between a Miata and an Audi TT/New Beetle. I can't help myself, I love the big smile grille.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
The Japan Mobility Show is the only auto show in 2023 that I'm interested in. The auto shows in Europe have been seriously disappointing, with the show floors being flooded by nothing but bloated crossovers and bloated EV crossovers. The Geneva Motor Show being held in Qatar is also quite a joke.