CT200h Rough Engine Start / Engine Failure

Reactions
First time I’ve posted in here.. hoping for some quick help!

I own a 2013 CT with 82,000 miles. Since about mid December (which also happened to be the last time I got the car serviced at Lexus) I’ve been periodically noticing a rough engine start, and a bit of “gurgling”. But this morning, upon start, the car had a violent start and then rumbled for about 12-15 seconds while idling. Once the vehicle shifted into gear, the rumbling stopped and the car was driving smooth. However, about a mile into my drive, going about 30 mph, the check engine light flicked on. I brought the car in to get checked out. The mechanic is telling me the most cost effective option is to buy a used motor and replace the entire motor in my vehicle.. He’s telling me it’s more cost effective to replace the entire motor (around $8500….) as opposed to opening the engine up and hoping the parts can be replaced. Coolant leaking into the heads was the basis of what he was telling me. It feels abnormal for that to happen without some other reason. I baby the car, live in moderate climate, and service it always when necessary.

I’m not very well versed under the hood, but he’s telling me because this is an Atinkinson (?) motor, the metal cannot be machined, and once damaged there’s nothing that can be done to salvage the engine. Does this sound correct? I’m going to call around some other shops tomorrow, but I’m curious if you guys think:

(a) that is a correct diagnostic or if they are trying to oversell?
(b) if coolant leaking into heads renders the engine unusable?
(c) what type of costs should actually be associated with a full motor swap?
(d) shouldn’t this have been caught in December if they serviced the cooling system? (That sounds like a lot of damage to occur in a short timespan)

Thank you so much!

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
1) Second Opinions never hurt
2) Compression test on the motor and a Combustion Gas test on the radiator should tell you if the headgasket has failed.
3) Is the car worth $8500 in this market?
4) If they didnt burp the system of air, yes it could be plausible but its a long and hard battle to prove this.

Reactions
Thank you for your thorough response, this is helpful. Im definitely going to get some more opinions tomorrow. I received the news at 530 so everyone else was closed today. Is it safe to drive the vehicle in this state to other local shops, or are you just suggesting phone calls? The KBB is about 12k give or take. I was wondering the same thing though in regards to value of the car v repairs. I think it would also depend on the other quotes I get. I have the paperwork on the last time the car was serviced, but yeah, of course I have no real plausible proof anything happened so that would be a long court battle Im sure.