Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A wide-ranging Automotive News Europe interview with Toyota Europe CEO Johan van Zyl (featured in full in our Toyota Planet forum ) contains this interesting passage:

The Lexus UX is doing well and sits on your global TNGA platform. Could you also build the car in Europe?

I think it would be very difficult to localize. You would need to do a proper localization of componentry, not just assembly. Otherwise, you just transfer parts from one country to another. The volumes are not sufficient to justify it.

What volume is needed to localize?

In my opinion, 100,000 units.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-12-23-lexus-ux-europe-production.jpg

In a recent wide-ranging Automotive News Europe interview, Toyota Europe president and CEO Johan van Zyl was asked about the possibility of producing the successful Lexus UX crossover in Europe. His noncommittal reply:

I think it would be very difficult to localize. You would need to do a proper localization of componentry, not just assembly. Otherwise, you just transfer parts from one country to another. The volumes are not sufficient to justify it.

When pressed further, however, van Zyl stated that if Lexus UX reached 100,000 annual European sales, the marque would certainly reconsider that decision.

Continue reading...

Will1991

Reactions
Lexus production in Europe? Seems a bit difficult since China has a lot more potential...

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
In China, the same numbers have been said before. The annual sales here are now twice that number. However, they still did not act, of course I know they have been doing research,but no result.
Europe is farther from Japan than China, and if sales increase, it may be produced locally, just like North America.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Lexus production in Europe? Seems a bit difficult since China has a lot more potential...

Would be nice to do more of our business in ethically run countries, to be honest, even if it meant a car cost 30% more. Hard to feel good about a purchase knowing what sort of horrific stuff you're basically giving a pass to out of convenience.

Will1991

Reactions
Would be nice to do more of our business in ethically run countries, to be honest, even if it meant a car cost 30% more. Hard to feel good about a purchase knowing what sort of horrific stuff you're basically giving a pass to out of convenience.

My comment comes from market size, of course I would love to see a Lexus factory in Europe, but China has so much more potential (sales potential).

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Toyota has manufacturing plants in Czech Republic (TPCA), France (TMMF), Poland (TMMP), Portugal (TCAP), Turkey (TMMT), United Kingdom (TMUK), Russia (TMR-SP) and Kazakhstan (SAP). I'm sure Lexus could easily open a manufacturing plant somewhere/anywhere in Europe. So far only Japan, Canada and the U.S. have Lexus factories.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota has manufacturing plants in Czech Republic (TPCA), France (TMMF), Poland (TMMP), Portugal (TCAP), Turkey (TMMT), United Kingdom (TMUK), Russia (TMR-SP) and Kazakhstan (SAP). I'm sure Lexus could easily open a manufacturing plant somewhere/anywhere in Europe. So far only Japan, Canada and the U.S. have Lexus factories.

they could but they wont because it makes no sense. And it will never make sense considering new Free Trade Agreement with Japan.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Nice post.. could be hedging against Brexit too.... note Honda and infiniti closed plants there recently