Contest: Name This Customized Lexus GS F (#OMGSF) Now Updated with Video and Pics

mikeavelli

Reactions
As Kevin stated you can read my thoughts on the Vossen blog but for us I would like to get more in-depth and of course can answer any questions you all have.

Lexus Southern was very happy with the reception and outcome of the #RSEAF and wanted to expand quite a bit more this go round, thus the #OMGSF you see here. Its refreshing to see a major luxury brand embrace aftermarket modifications in this manner and want to showcase it to the best of their abilities. To me the moment of truth was at FormulaD, Atlanta. I was stunned at how many people asked about the car, took pics and videos and wanted to hear the car revved up. With no bias I can say my favorite modification might be the Apexi exhaust. Not only does it help the GS F hit over 500hp by allowing the car to breathe more freely but it simply sounds intoxicating. In my time behind the wheel I could not stop listening to that big 5.0 V-8. Stock it sounds great, with this combo it is utterly music to peoples ears. (actually let me get some sound clips this weekend).

Those with a good eye might notice that during the Atlanta Auto Show it had black calipers. While the safe choice, we decided that the optional orange would add some needed pop and contrast with the blue. Thus Lexus Southern swapped out the black calipers for the orange ones you see here. What do you think about the change?

I haven't met one person that likes the grey sideview mirrors or b-pillars. Its really an odd decision and I've seen dealers wrap them black or body color. The "Space Grey" chosen is quite the color, its really like a matte but still showcases the hand brushed lines of the wheel. It also matches the mirrors pretty well (Lexus make them carbon fiber like the rear spoiler please). As you can see in pics, I really like this aggressive design that showcases the big brakes. One cool thing about our Vossen Forged Wheels is they are made under where I am typing! So I could take pics and videos and send to Chad and the team at anytime. There just are not many wheels companies out there that own their own factory, let alone a TUV verified one.

All the partners involved were incredible to work with, notably RS-R and Apexi for debuting firsts with this car and having to meet tough deadlines. When it was all said and done I feel the GS F here is one of the best driving cars at any price. It really really is a great drive, very involving and again that sound! It feels like a smaller more nimble car and the right size dimensions help with that (all competitors are a few inches longer). I love the interior upgrades throughout and oddly enough now seem to prefer the black leather with blue stitching compared to the red leather. The huge HUD screen is a big plus as well. Negatives are the seats really need way more adjustments and its a real shame no luxury package is standard like in Canada.

27766041266_f2bd5c3844_h.jpg

Chad and I discussed playfully a Tail of the Dragon run but didn't quite commit to it for a few reasons. First was I had a flight to catch at 6pm so I need to be at the airport by 4pm on Sunday. Secondly we knew Saturday was going to be a long hot day at FormulaD and could wear us out the next day. Oh and Sunday was Mother's day and I was home in Atlanta with my wife. But us being car guys by the time Friday rolled around we decided we could do it and should do it.

I traveled with a young man called Brian known as "BAM" or "BigAppleMagic" to shoot the video. We worked with him in Florida before but never traveled with him. It was his first time to Atlanta and to the Tail of the Dragon. So that was a bit of a risk as well. Secondly I've known Joseph Dale, the creator of "SouthrnFresh" one of the biggest car culture websites around and knew he would be great to take photos, though it was his first time shooting for someone not for his blog and it was his first time at the Dragon as well. Did I mention the support vehicle was a stock LS 460 luxury pack! Luckily Chad and I had much previous experience at the Tail of the Dragon so we knew what to prepare for and what to expect.

After a long day and late night eating and celebrating success at FormulaD, we had one last chance to back away but we didn't. So with maybe 5 hours sleep we met at 7:15am in North Atlanta (Alpharetta) but the guy that actually went to bed early (cough cough Joseph lol) didn't meet us on time. So we got delayed about an hour before heading up. Now if you live in Atlanta you have to take this drive at least once. Before you know it you are in the GA hills and after a couple of hours in the mountains. Its just a beautiful drive. You can take a longer even more scenic route (waterfalls etc) but due to time constraints we took the fast route.

35226aa.jpg

The last time I was here was in my wife's GS F-Sport right before we moved to Miami 3 years ago. I was trailing Chad in the LS 460 this time. Quite a different car for this road lol. We took a few pictures along the way and made two last safety stops and briefings before tackling the Dragon.

dragon-at-deals-gap.jpg

It will destroy your car and leave you drenched in sweat with your head and back hurting. There are usually motorcycles and other cars going the other direction at high speeds. I've seen accidents there. This is no joke of a road and probably as tough as you can drive on a public road. Everytime you turn, well you go back into another turn...over and over and over. Luckily the GS F was more than prepared for this road and trip!! The LS 460 and Joseph in a new Jetta, not so much lol. We stopped at the top and took the pics you see with the mountains in the background. We got REALLY REALLY lucky it wasn't more packed, usually on a beautiful Sunday its swamped with bikes and cars. This was also when I realized there was no cell service at all anywhere. I didn't have service for nearly 4 hours!!!

We stopped at the bottom and Chad and I were shocked to see the lake we both have relaxed at empty! Oh no global warming!! Actually upon investigation it was drained on purpose and will be re-filled lol. Joseph took more photos and then BAM got super courageous and got in the back of Josephs' trunk UP THE DRAGON to get some of the footage you see in the video. He told as at one point he almost dropped the camera lol.

At this point we knew it was well worth it, the footage would be amazing. It was also cool to share it with Chad and with two Dragon newbs who were smiling ear to ear the entire time. And we were too but at this point I was quite a bit behind and had to haul ass back to Atlanta....which I did, and nearly made it in time until I realized Atlanta has closed a security gate and there was an over hour wait (and I still haven't done Global Entry....FAIL MIKE). Luckily I was able to get a standby on the next flight and made it home on Mother's Day with a crapload of flowers and sweets...at 11pm :( Let's just say I am lucky to have such a great mom(s) and wife as I barely saw my mom in the morning, missed my wife's mom who went to sleep and my wife got flowers near midnight...

But you know to me, to do something like this and for us to be able to present it was all worth it. The members here named the car and are part of this project too. Hopefully you watch it a few times and maybe it motivates you to plan a trip to the Dragon!

-mike-

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Having seen and ridden in the car in person (thanks, Mike!), I can vouch for what a beautiful build this is.

You really have to see the color in person to appreciate it. It goes from a minty green to nearly Ultrasonic Blue just depending on the lighting and the angle.

13178772_521809011335558_2665606160336671131_n.jpg

The exhaust REALLY allows you to hear and experience the engine and the Vossens set off the entire package.

Driving it through Tail of the Dragon would be an amazing experience... I can only imagine.

Thanks for documenting the drive and sharing with us!

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Really enjoyed your write-up and the video, thanks for sharing your experience! I think those wheels fit the car really well - they have the twisted-spoke style that almost hints at the original wheels while the larger size and offset compliment the aggressive design even better.

mikeavelli

Reactions
As an update, the #OMGSF will be receiving the first Lexon Exclusive bodykit from Japan and Vossen x Work wheels will be installed shortly. :) Chad and Lexus Southern have done an amazing job taking it to nearly every car event in the Atlanta area.

The car will make its way down to Miami soon!

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Excited to see the next stage of this car. Will it be staying the same color after the new changes?

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I've seen this car so many times on IG an I've never seen #OMGSF anywhere! I always have to comment the hashtag. : unamused: Oh and I like the new wheels much better.